Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Spinal Fusion vs. SCS or pain pump

My wife has endured 17 months of dibillitating pain from a torn L5 S1, and internal disc derangement. A neurosurgeon promised no relief if he were to remove the disc and fuse, but said he would do it. Now, insurance is saying it is not medically necessay, and we are in a different battle.

So we find ourselves pondering if fusion is in fact the best option. Any feedback as to why one feels the SCS may be a better choice, or perhaps even a pain pump. She is totally disable and can walk in short distances, but cannot sit for the pain.

God bless,

Mark K.
brakeforjake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is my take on it. Surgery is for mechanical problems. Surgery is NOT FOR PAIN. In fact, most of the time, after surgery you're left with the SAME pain or worse. So if you're looking for pain relief, surgery is not the way to go. You will still need pain medications. Plus, there is the "domino effect." The levels above and below the surgery site will fail because they've had to take on more of the load. So you end up having to have more surgery later on. The doctors don't tell you this. The only reason I'd have MORE surgery is if I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal canal was being impinged. Otherwise I'd opt for physical therapy, or in your wife's case the SCS or the pump.

Unfortunately, I had the SCS for 6 months, but because I'm thin the darn "generator" tried to work itself out of me, so the whole ball of wax had to be removed! So if your wife is skinny, tell her to beware! She might have the same trouble I did! Plus the pain pump is even bigger than the SCS so i couldn't have that

If I was your wife, I'd get at LEAST 2 other opinions from different Neurosurgeons on what she should do. I wouldn't just take this one doctors opinion. This is too serious an operation to just depend on HIM.

Best of luck and I hope everything turns out ok. God bless. Hugs, lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakeforjake View Post
My wife has endured 17 months of dibillitating pain from a torn L5 S1, and internal disc derangement. A neurosurgeon promised no relief if he were to remove the disc and fuse, but said he would do it. Now, insurance is saying it is not medically necessay, and we are in a different battle.

So we find ourselves pondering if fusion is in fact the best option. Any feedback as to why one feels the SCS may be a better choice, or perhaps even a pain pump. She is totally disable and can walk in short distances, but cannot sit for the pain.

God bless,

Mark K.
I had a triple fusion in 2010, did'nt turn out the best, but, I was bed ridden before surgery so there was some help there. You have to think long and hard before going thru it. My back keep going out. It would go out and 3 or 4 days later I would feel a little better and within a day or 2 it would go out again, I sufferd like this for months. I can understand how your wife feels. Try anything you can before surgery. I have not done the pump, but it may help. I wish your wife the best.
bretd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you

Leesa,

Thanks so much for the feedback. To your point, we have had two previous neurosurgeons just flat out say "I can't help you", and really offering no other plan of action other than pain management and physical therapy. Her health has deteriorated so much since then, physical therapy is completely out. So in essence, we have had two other surgeon's opinions, and the third, with reserve, said he would operate, but with no guarantees of relief. Perhaps therein lies our answer.

We have spoken with many people who have had favorable results from spinal fusion. I understand the potential domino effect, so one is left to chose from the lesser of several evils. Not where we want to be...

She just needs relief from the pain. She is maxed out on meds, and so we need to do something quick. Our insurance is denying her surgery now, saying it is medically unnecessary. I think the temporay SCS may be our next best option. She is not a big person, so I appreciate you comments on hardware floating about.

God bless you.

Mark & Della

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
This is my take on it. Surgery is for mechanical problems. Surgery is NOT FOR PAIN. In fact, most of the time, after surgery you're left with the SAME pain or worse. So if you're looking for pain relief, surgery is not the way to go. You will still need pain medications. Plus, there is the "domino effect." The levels above and below the surgery site will fail because they've had to take on more of the load. So you end up having to have more surgery later on. The doctors don't tell you this. The only reason I'd have MORE surgery is if I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal canal was being impinged. Otherwise I'd opt for physical therapy, or in your wife's case the SCS or the pump.

Unfortunately, I had the SCS for 6 months, but because I'm thin the darn "generator" tried to work itself out of me, so the whole ball of wax had to be removed! So if your wife is skinny, tell her to beware! She might have the same trouble I did! Plus the pain pump is even bigger than the SCS so i couldn't have that

If I was your wife, I'd get at LEAST 2 other opinions from different Neurosurgeons on what she should do. I wouldn't just take this one doctors opinion. This is too serious an operation to just depend on HIM.

Best of luck and I hope everything turns out ok. God bless. Hugs, lee
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks Bret

Bret,

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Mark & Della

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretd View Post
I had a triple fusion in 2010, did'nt turn out the best, but, I was bed ridden before surgery so there was some help there. You have to think long and hard before going thru it. My back keep going out. It would go out and 3 or 4 days later I would feel a little better and within a day or 2 it would go out again, I sufferd like this for months. I can understand how your wife feels. Try anything you can before surgery. I have not done the pump, but it may help. I wish your wife the best.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I wanted to iterate that if she's not big, the SCS might try to work itself out. Just keep that in mind. And the SCS NEED NOT BE TEMPORARY. People have had theirs for many many years. The battery just needs replacing every few years. So she needn't worry about having to have it taken out permanently.

As for the fusion --- this will NOT probably relieve her pain! Surgery doesn't relieve pain. Surgery is only for mechanical problems. After surgery, you're always left with pain -- sometimes the same pain as before, and sometimes worse. So don't figure on getting pain relief from the fusion. It's just not gonna happen. She's still going to have pain.

For pain relief, the SCS is the BEST OPTION. She may still need pain medications, but probably not to the degree that she's taking now. I think i'd go with the SCS if i were her. I just hope she's "big" enough. God bless and PLEASE keep us posted, will you? Please? My prayers are with you both. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM #7
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hi Mark !

My heart goes out to both you and your wife. She's fortunate to have such a supporting husband and it's great of you to be here looking for feedback.

If most of her pain is localized in her legs, heck, go for the SCS trial. It'll certainly give her a good idea if the stimulation will cover the pain. I find the stim to be very soothing on my legs - a far cry from the horrid burnin pain.
If her pain is spread elsewhere, then it might be better to check into the pain pump.
There are quite a few hoops to jump thru (in most cases), but well worth it if it works out. I'm hoping your insurance would be willing to cover this.
I'd certainly say that chronic pain to this degree IS INDEED a medical necessity!!

Caring,
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakeforjake View Post

God bless,

Mark K.
Well Mark, I agree with what most are saying. The surgery is definitely for mechanical problems. But with the torn disc, it may continue to rip and possibly rupture. The disc derangement, that's a very sticky, delicate situation. And the insurance knows that.......I think you definitely should get two more opinions.
I had the trial SCS and ALL my pain was GONE, neuropathy pain, from failed back surgery, had the lumbar fusion that did NOT stop the pain. Unfortunately my SCS didn't make me better only worse. But I am a rare case in that fact.
Remember every doctor is his/her own person. They are as different as you and I. Go for another opinion and BE SAFE!
Dawn
dawngri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote