Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cervical fusion of c7-t1

I am wondering if someone can contact me that has has a single tier fusion at c7-t1 and share their experience. I was in a MVA and doc said I should consider this as I have had several epidurals but they dont last.

I also sufferred a head injury and suffer from chronic headaches and i am concerned that my HA's may get worse or not improve at all.

What is the real deal after the surgery and what you need to be prepared for at home. I am single and family live far away. I have some support but it will be difficult to get others to help out. If anyone can provide a good idea of what to expect i would appreciate it. fee l free to post ofr to pvt msg me too.

It would also be helpful to hear from anyone who has had this procedure a few or more yrs ago and see if they are doing good or not and do they suffer from something else?

Thanks
jinga

advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hijinga;

I had acdf from c4 thru c7. However my brother from mva he had c7 toT1 --fusion and did very well. He had to have it posterior(back) because there was a bone fragment severing a nerve. I had front (anterior)--do you know which they going to preform on your front or back. The good news on that level there not alot of movement in the spine as there is on upper levels. The first usually its overnight stay. No showers for 2 or 3 days. Do you know if your going to be in hard or soft collar or some dont even have a collar?
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Jinga

I hope you have had multipal opinions for your surgery. I had C6-7 to start with, and wound up with the domino effect six years later, and am now successfully fused C3-7. Make sure the verterbre above the site and below are strong enough to endure the surgery, and the stress of hardware. My first fusion didn't last. I had pain that never resolved as there was more wrong with me than just the one. I didn't seek other opinions which was not good.
If you have had several opinions, and this is the best for you, the single level fusion is not so bad. My recover was fairly easy. The second fusion however was a devil in recovery. No matter what happens we will be here for you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ginnie is right. Once you've had surgery, you WILL experience the domino effect, and the levels above and below the surgery site will fail, and that means further surgery. Surgery is NOT FOR PAIN. Surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. So if you're thinking that your pain will be relieved, think again because usually after surgery you'll have the same pain or worse. You'll still need pain medications.

Like Ginnie said, you need at LEAST 2 other opinions before you agree to surgery. I'd suggest Physical therapy for a good while, because latest studies have shown that people who have had surgery get the same results as people who have had physical therapy! The ONLY way i'd have more surgery is if I was in danger of paralyzation or permanent nerve damage.

I had my surgeries before the internet, so I didn't know even 1/4 of what I know now. I've done loads of research because BOTH my surgeries were failures and I wanted to know why! Well, I found out why. It was because the doctor didn't tell me half of what he should have told me. And he didn't give me any other options. He just said I had to have surgery! And being the naive idiot I was, I trusted him.

I wish you the very best -- please let us know what you decide and how things go. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks Everyone

I will def ask more questions and may PM some of you as well if you dont mind. I had a slight disc bulge prior to the accident and had a fairly recent MRI - I was told at that time by a different doc to consider a fusion but it would be necessary as some point. I do have some mild nerve damage on left side. I now have bulges in the 3 discs above the c7 and that is just mm next to my spinal cord lining After the accident I have more pain but the shots help just temporarily. I often feel like someone is standing on me face down with their foot pressed on the back of my neck with some force or that I have been wacked in the back of the head by a bb bat. In any case I also suffered a mtbi and now have chronic headaches in the migraine\tension range. I dont think the surgery is going to help them and after reading the surgery is primarily for mechanical vs pain I have more to think about.

I dont have any family near or close friends as i often traveled so most of my support is not close to my home. I am wondering what i will be able to do and not do until I can drive on my own - to get groceries\scripts\go to appts etc..

I meet with the doc next week. BTW my doc is ortho surgeon not a neuro surgeon ?? What type doc did you have and does it make a difference?

I am pretty sure it is a sooner or later for the surgery as well and with the MVA and not sure how much longer I will have medical ins so I have to take that into account as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM #6
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hello jinga

Please have at least one of your referrals be a Neurologist that specializes in spinal issues. This is essential. Ortho are good for other things, but when it comes to the nerves in your spine, you must go a step further for evaluations. I would never have done either of my surgeries with othopedic person.
My second fusions C3-7, was done because all those verterbre, toppeled over on each other, that domino effect Leesa and I talked about. I was indeed at risk of being paralized from it. I had absolutely no way to turn my head. I did have structure issues, not just pain from squashed disks. I now have trouble below the fusion site, T1-2-3. So I am just very careful. I can drive and all, but I must turn completely around to look over my shoulder, releasing my seat belt to do so.
Please do go with a neurosurgeon, and make sure your doctor knows, that you know about the domino effect. Some people do better than others with it. Ask about PT too, and if he feels this is a good thing to try first. Don't go to a chiropractor, without dicussion with the neurologist. Bad idea....I was told to do this by a general practice physician, and that was the worst thing I could have done. He suggested that before I had any xrays! Because I wasn't screaming and yelling, perhaps he didn't think it was as bad as it was, I don't know. Just be careful, and consider all your options with an educated mind. That is your real strength, to understand all the information presented, so you can make an educated decision. I am hoping all this turns out OK for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. None of it is easy, ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote