Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused myelogram experience

Hey guys just wanted to see what the experience you guys have had with this procedure. My neuro is wanting to schedule me one, witht the continued complications ive had since my laminectomy and discectomy( L4-L5) in december and also since no success with more ESI's that were done. Any info would be appreciated!
fireman9915 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I've had a few of these and had basically good experience. One time it didn't go too well, but basically it's been fine.

You must remember that after the myelogram, you MUST keep your head down for several hours or you WILL GET a spinal headache from HELL! Do NOT pick your head up or you'll want to die. This headache is WORSE than a migraine!!!

Some stupid nurse cranked my bed up when I told her NOT to and naturally I got the headache from hell. I screamed & holllered for 4 hours before they gave me ANYTHING for pain!!! And the nurse had the gall to call me a "baby."
If i could have gotten up, I would have tackled that #$$#@#. I told the doctor what she did, and believe it or not, she got FIRED!!! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry

Thanks leessa for tge reply, I have the myelogram scgeduled for the 2nd of April, crossing my fingers and praying I find some results, I had an mri dond the other day and comparing it to the one back in january, I already have a small herniation forming again more to the (R ) side at L4-L5, really hoping it doesnt get any worse, but no matter how positive I am im afraid this is just the calm before the storm again. Not to mention having the myelogram scgeduled to figure out what is causing all of my pain, I havent had a good day in I cant ecen remember when, well I guess a good day for me is when my pain is controlled to about a "5" instead of an 8or 9.....im hopibg for someanswers bc it has definiteky taken a toll emotionally and physically!! Exactly what are they hoping to conclude with doing the myelogram, ive veen doing a lot of research on itm but still a little confused. From what I gather they are looking for whats "triggering" the pain? Any info would be great.

Thanka and take care!
fireman9915 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You're correct, in that they want to see what the reason is for all your pain, since you have a "small" herniation at L4-5. They don't feel that is large enough to be causing all your pain, so that's why they're doing it.

Try not to worry about the procedure. I'm sure you'll do just fine. 99% of them go great. Just remember to keep your head down for a few hours afterwards!!! Otherwise you'll have the headache from HELL. If you DO end up with the awful headache, ask them for a "bloodpatch." That will help the headache. The stupid nurse that caused mine, just gave me an injection of morphine, which didn't touch it. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote