Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Spinal Stenosis worse after epidural steroid injection

Hello, I'm Chadly 1978 and I'm new here and I'm at a loss of what I need to do. I have been on Hydrocodone 10/500 for a few years for lower back and neck pain. Recently I had a new MRI done, they found spinal stenosis in my lower back. I was referred to a pain management Dr and he said that this injection would knock out the pain so I don't have to have the pain pills. I gave it a try and it's been 6 days and I'm in so much more pain now that my medication isn't working on the pain.... I CAN BARELY WALK, let alone work on my feet all day... Please help, can anyone let me know what I need to do next?
Chadly1978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly1978 View Post
Hello, I'm Chadly 1978 and I'm new here and I'm at a loss of what I need to do. I have been on Hydrocodone 10/500 for a few years for lower back and neck pain. Recently I had a new MRI done, they found spinal stenosis in my lower back. I was referred to a pain management Dr and he said that this injection would knock out the pain so I don't have to have the pain pills. I gave it a try and it's been 6 days and I'm in so much more pain now that my medication isn't working on the pain.... I CAN BARELY WALK, let alone work on my feet all day... Please help, can anyone let me know what I need to do next?
Hi have your seen a orthro spinal surgeon or a neuro first to evaluate your mri? I assume you had ESI (epidural steroid injections)--meaning xray guided injections. If thats what you did --they work --about 50% of time-- some people find relief with one shot some need shot #2 or 3 before they may find a benefit if any. I hope that not the case. Do you have copies of your MRI ?
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If this injection didn't work, the next one will NOT work either. They do NOT build up in the system.

The medication you're on has TOO MUCH "TYLENOL" in it and you SHOULD HAVE a Liver panel done!!! If you've been on it for YEARS, your liver could be compromised!! So ask your doctor to run a Liver Panel to make sure your liver is working properly!!!

Also, like "Mg" said, take your MRI to a NEUROSURGEON and get an opinion. If he suggests surgery, get 2 more opinions from 2 more neurosurgeons before having surgery! Surgery will NOT take away the pain. It's only for mechanical problems. You will still need pain medications. But it will help the stenosis which can be dangerous for the spinal canal.

Let us know what happens, ok? We DO care. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
epidural injection, pain after