Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Back MRI results, what do they mean

I'm having some pain that I believe is connected to problems in my neck, that's another post, ha ha. At the same time I had my neck MRI, I had a back MRi and I would love it if someone could explain the findings to me.

T6-T7; a right paracentral disc protrusion deforms thecal sac
T10-T11;Bright signal is present at the periphery of the annulus on the left representing an annular fissure.

A hemangloma is present within the T11 vertebral body.

I appreciate the feedback, these have sorta gotten pushed aside with the other findings.

Thanks
lilasmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help if I can:

T6-7 right paracentral disc herniation deforms thecal sac -- this means the herniation is pushing on the thecal sac which is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spinal fluid.

T10-11 Bright signal at periphery of annulus on left representing an annular fissure.. A "signal means a measure of activity in nerve cells and is indicted by frequency of discharge. The Annulus is a ringlike part or structure and it has a slit.

At T11 there is a Hemangioma - this is a benign tumor of blood vessels that typically occur as purplish/reddish elevated areas of skin/tissue.

I hope I didn't completely confuse you. LOL If you have more questions, either post them here, or you can private message me too if you like. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Lilasmom,

I am not a doctor but I might be able to help with a couple of the things.
Annular tears, also known as annular fissures are very basically, the center of a disc's jelly like substance leaks or tears into the outportion of the disc the annular. Nerves are in the annular so if the jelly hits those nerves(not always depends where it tears) it can be very very painful.
Disc protrusion is a type of bulging disc. The disc breaks down and loses its natural shape usually protruding or spreading (diffused). When it does it can put pressure on nerves or the spinal cord. If it doesnt no pain and reason to worry about it.
I do not have any knowledge of hemangioma other than it is some type of benign tumor.

Hopefully that helps a little.
Rhonda
rhondaroo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote