Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can someone PLEASE turn my MRI into English for me!

After having a MRI done last week my GP called me today and is referring me to a neurosurgeon from what was seen on my MRI. I have no history of back trauma, but a long history of pain that I feel the Dr's didn't believe me about because of my age (I turned 33 in December). Hip has hurt since my teen years but appears fine in a xray, back stays "tight" 24/7 but mornings are the worse.

Takes hours for the pain, burning and stiffness to go down to where I can function better and wraps around my chest. Last September I was sent to the ER when I got to my regular Dr he told me they had nothing to help with my pain in the office that I needed to go to the ER. I could list a lot more, but lets get to the MRI that has me going nuts trying to read! LOL This is what it said::::

Findings:Thoracis spine alignment is normal without subluxation or fracture. There is no significant marrow signal abnormality or focal osseous lesion.The thoracic spinal cord and conus are normal in morphology and signal characteristics. No paravertebral soft tissue abnormality is identified. There is mild intervertebral disc desiccation through the upper and mid thoracic spine. Additional changes on a level by level basis are as follows:

T1-T2 Subtle annular bulging without significant spinal canal foramen stenosis.
T2-T3 Normal
T3-T4 Annular bulging partially effaces the ventral thecal sac without significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis.
T4-T5 and T5-T6 No significant abnormality
T6-T7 Annular bulging with superimposed broad-based right paracentral disc protrusion effaces the right paracentral ventral thecal sac and abuts the right ventral aspect of the thoratic cord which is not significantly displaced.
T7-T8 A small focal right paracentral disc protrusion measures approximately 2x3-4 mm without spinal canal or neural stenosis
T8-T9 A right paracentral disc protrusion similar to at the T6-T7 level nearly effaces the right paracentral ventral thecal sac with abutment of the right ventral thoracic cord at this level which is nondisplaced. No significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis.
T9-T10 through T-12 No significant abnormality.

Impression:: Mild discogenic degenerative disease of the upper through mid thoratic spine,worst at T6-T7 through T8-T9 as detailed above. No significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis.

Thanks in advance!,
Ash~
Ash79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help~

At the top, it says there is "mild intervertebral disc dessication through upper and mid thoracic spine -- this means that the discs are drying out. When the discs dry out, they tend to flatten, and that makes the bulge and sometimes herniate and push on nerves, which HURTS!

T1-2 Suble annular bulging - The annula is a sac that the disc sits in. The sac is filled with nerves and fluid.

T2-3 Normal

T3-4 Annular bulging (see above) effaces the ventral thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord & cauda equina and is filled with cerebral spinal fluid.

T4 to T6

T6-T7 Annular bulging (see above) with super-imposed broad based right paracentral disc herniation effaces (wipes out) right paracentral ventral thecal sac and abuts the right aspect of the thoracic spinal cord (pushes on the cord). The cord is NOT displaced.

T7-8 Small right paracentral disc herniation 2x3-4mm

T8-9 Right paracentral disc herniation similar to T6-7 nearly effaces (wipes out) right ventral thecal sac (see above) with abutment of right ventral thoracic spinal cord which is NOT displaced.

T9-10 through T12 OK

Degenerative disc disease, worse at T6-7 through T8-9.

While I'm no doctor, I'm glad you're going to see a Neurosurgeon! At this time, I would doubt that he would recommend surgery, but you never know. I wouldn't want surgery at this time if I were you. But in any case, if he DOES recommend surgery, PLEASE take your films to at LEAST 2 other Neurosurgeons for more opinions. You should NEVER take just ONE doctors opinion. You should ALWAYS get at least a total of 3 opinions when surgery is at stake.

Also, remember that surgery is only for mechanical problems. Surgery does not solve all pain problems. Chances are good that you will have the same pain or worse after surgery. Then there is the "Domino Effect" which the doctors don't tell their patients about. That is where the levels above or below the surgery site fail. They fail because they have to take on more of the load because of the surgery. It happens all the time. Consequently more surgery is needed. It's a vicious circle.

I've had 3 spinal surgeries -- they were all OPEN surgeries -- not the "micro" surgeries that they can do now. That's because mine were done years ago. Also, mine were done before the internet, so I wasn't able to do any research to speak of. If I was able to have surgery now (I'm inoperable) I would NOT unless I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal cord was being impinged. Those are the ONLY two reasons I would have surgery!!! Otherwise, I would NOT let them touch me. I would go into pain management and live with it, because it's better than the outcome of surgery to me.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how you come out. I'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello Lee! Sorry I am late in replying but here I am Neuro said no surgery and to see a pain doc which I did and I love him. You can tell where he is in the office by listening to him sing..lol He was singing CCR when I went and I was laughing.. When he asked me to lift my shirt and saw my tattoo he said "OMG DID YOU KNOW SOMEONE WROTE ON YOUR BACK!!". LOL He also sent me do a thyroid and vit D test and it came back I am vit D deficient. So I took 6 weeks of 50,000 IU once a week and am now taking 5,000 daily for 6 weeks then we will recheck my levels. And I drink at the least one large glass a milk a day and I am in the South Louisiana sun hours at a time. I asked not to be put on narcotics because just my flexeril makes me sleepy. So for now the plan is flexeril and stretches. I also found a wonderful product that is all natural and really DOES help me. I can tell when I don't take it!
Ash~

Quote:
While I'm no doctor, I'm glad you're going to see a Neurosurgeon! At this time, I would doubt that he would recommend surgery, but you never know. I wouldn't want surgery at this time if I were you. But in any case, if he DOES recommend surgery, PLEASE take your films to at LEAST 2 other Neurosurgeons for more opinions. You should NEVER take just ONE doctors opinion. You should ALWAYS get at least a total of 3 opinions when surgery is at stake.

Also, remember that surgery is only for mechanical problems. Surgery does not solve all pain problems. Chances are good that you will have the same pain or worse after surgery. Then there is the "Domino Effect" which the doctors don't tell their patients about. That is where the levels above or below the surgery site fail. They fail because they have to take on more of the load because of the surgery. It happens all the time. Consequently more surgery is needed. It's a vicious circle.

I've had 3 spinal surgeries -- they were all OPEN surgeries -- not the "micro" surgeries that they can do now. That's because mine were done years ago. Also, mine were done before the internet, so I wasn't able to do any research to speak of. If I was able to have surgery now (I'm inoperable) I would NOT unless I was in danger of permanent nerve damage or if my spinal cord was being impinged. Those are the ONLY two reasons I would have surgery!!! Otherwise, I would NOT let them touch me. I would go into pain management and live with it, because it's better than the outcome of surgery to me.

I wish you the very best. Please let us know how you come out. I'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
Ash79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM #4

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default could you do that for me also translate.

Unenhanced MRI of the thoracic spine was obtained. The thoracic spinal alignment is normal. The vertebra are normal in height with no compression deformities. A round focus of bright T1 and T2 signal is seen within the T9 vertebra consistent with a vertebral hemangioma.
At T6-7 broadbase right paracentral protrusion of disc material is demonstrated. This impinges upon the thecal sac. The thecal sac diameter is narrowed to approximately 9 mm suggesting moderate canal stenosis without cord compression. The neural foramina are unremarkable.
At the T7-8 level there is a focal protrusion of disc material in a central and left paracentral location. The thecal sac is compressed and deformed to approximately 7 mm AP diameter. There is encroachment upon but not definite compression of the thoracic cord here. The appearance is consistent with moderately severe to severe central stenosis. There is no cord signal abnormality. There are no other areas of significant disc protrusion or canal stenosis. The thoracic cord has a normal caliber and signal intensity. The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable.
IMPRESSION:
1. A very focal central and left paracentral disc protrusion is demonstrated at the T7-8 level resulting in moderately severe to severe central stenosis. The cervical cord is encroached upon but not definitely compressed here.
2. Right paracentral protrusion of disc material at T6-7 resulting in moderate central canal stenosis without cord compression.

my workers comp doctor is trying to say im lying about having pain almost all the time and having trouble with losing balance and falling.
brileyrusty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brileyrusty View Post
Unenhanced MRI of the thoracic spine was obtained. The thoracic spinal alignment is normal. The vertebra are normal in height with no compression deformities. A round focus of bright T1 and T2 signal is seen within the T9 vertebra consistent with a vertebral hemangioma.

At T6-7 broadbase right paracentral protrusion of disc material is demonstrated. This impinges upon the thecal sac. The thecal sac diameter is narrowed to approximately 9 mm suggesting moderate canal stenosis without cord compression. The neural foramina are unremarkable.

At the T7-8 level there is a focal protrusion of disc material in a central and left paracentral location. The thecal sac is compressed and deformed to approximately 7 mm AP diameter. There is encroachment upon but not definite compression of the thoracic cord here. The appearance is consistent with moderately severe to severe central stenosis. There is no cord signal abnormality. There are no other areas of significant disc protrusion or canal stenosis. The thoracic cord has a normal caliber and signal intensity. The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:
1. A very focal central and left paracentral disc protrusion is demonstrated at the T7-8 level resulting in moderately severe to severe central stenosis. The cervical cord is encroached upon but not definitely compressed here.
2. Right paracentral protrusion of disc material at T6-7 resulting in moderate central canal stenosis without cord compression.

my workers comp doctor is trying to say im lying about having pain almost all the time and having trouble with losing balance and falling.
I bolded the main points to simplify. See the sticky threads for terminology definitions.

It helps if you can share the related symptoms and where the pain is located..

Last edited by Jomar; 02-06-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo...
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 PM #6

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default thank you

the pain starts in the center of my back and radiates around my ribs. for the last three months been having pins and needles feeling in legs and feet.
brileyrusty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Was there any injury to the area? A fall or accident?

Muscle pain & spasms can be very painful too , but MRIs will not show those..
Have you had any physical therapy or perhaps expert chiropractic care?
Old 03-01-2016, 01:17 PM #8
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default work injury mri reports.

Had two mri's done as a result of a work injury involving moving alot of heavy furniture over the past 5 years. No clue what this means. Any help greatly appreciated.

Findings: There is normal thoracic kyphosis. There is no malalignment. The vertebral body heights are maintained without compression deformities. There are degenerative endplate changes at the inferior endplact of T7 and T8 with shallow Schmorl's nodes. There is no marrow edema and the bone marrow signal intensity is preserved. The spinal cord is normal in caliber adn signal intensity with the conus terminating at the T12-L1 level. The throacic spine is otherwise unremarkable through the T4-T5 level.
T5-T6: There is a shallow disc bulge abutting upon the ventral aspect of the thecal sac without signific ant canal stenosis (sagittal series 19 image 9). There is no neural foraminal narrowing bilaterallly.
T6-T7: There is a shallow right paracentral deisc protrusion indenting upon the right ventral aspect of the thecal sac without significant canal stenosis or right lateral recess narrowing (axial series 23 image 10). There is no significan neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally.
The remaining levels of the thoracic spine are unremarkable.

Impression:
1. No compression fractures or marrow edema.
2. Mild degenerative endplate changes and mild disc degeration at the T5-T6 and T6-T7 levels without significant canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing throughout the thoracic spine.

Findings: There is a normal lumbar lordosis. There is no malalignment. the vertebral body heighs are maintained without compression deformities. There are shallow Schmorl's nodes at the inferior endplate of T12 and L1. The bone marrow signal intensity is preserved. There is no marrow edema. There is mild bilateral facet arthropathy. There is no significant neural foraminal narrowing.
L5-S1: unremarable.
Impression:
1. No compression fractures or marrow edema.
2. No disc protrustions or central canal stenosis.
3. Mild facet arthropathy at the L4-L5 level without significant neural foraminal narrowing or impingement upon intraspinal or exiting nerve roots throughout the lumbar spine to suggest radiculopathy.
Baeter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote