Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SCS Battery and/or Lead Pain ?

Following several lots of spinal surgery and fusion, I was fitted with a Boston Scientific SCS. Initially this was really good, unfortunately after about 12 months my lower back pain returned with a vengeance. It was indicated that I would be a good candidate for the new Nevro High Frequency SCS system.

The Nevro SCS operates at a frequency too high for the body to detect, so there is none of the awful tingling/pins and needles you experience with lower frequency SCS devices.

My big issue now though, after about 6 months is excrutiating pain around the battery area. The Nevro battery is quite a lot larger than the Boston Scientific one and is rubbing on the underside of my implant scar. This coupled with nerve pain around the battery is leading to many sleepless nights and a whole lot of pain during the day. I've been put on the list for a relocation of the battery, but that could take months. In the meantime I'm taking a lot of painkillers and using Lidocaine patches at night to alleviate it a bit.

Has anyone else had similar issues, and if so, how have you coped ?

Thanks everyone.
RogerB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Instead of Lidocaine patches, why not Fentanyl patches? Lidocaine patches are must TOPICAL pain killers. They don't get into the blood stream. The Fentanyl patches are much stronger. You would have to adjust your OTHER meds tho so you don't overdose. But it would probably help alot more.

I never had pain around the "generator" area. Mine was more in the back & legs. The SCS doesn't work worth a darn for the back. It's basically for the legs. If you have THAT beat, then you're in good shape.

Like I said, ask for the other patches & have them adjust your meds. Maybe that will help you. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Instead of Lidocaine patches, why not Fentanyl patches? Lidocaine patches are must TOPICAL pain killers. They don't get into the blood stream. The Fentanyl patches are much stronger. You would have to adjust your OTHER meds tho so you don't overdose. But it would probably help alot more.

I never had pain around the "generator" area. Mine was more in the back & legs. The SCS doesn't work worth a darn for the back. It's basically for the legs. If you have THAT beat, then you're in good shape.

Like I said, ask for the other patches & have them adjust your meds. Maybe that will help you. God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
Hi Lee, thanks for your response. I did read on another pain forum about Fentanyl patches, but I don't think they have been cleared for use in the UK (probably too expensive for our NHS ! )

I will ask my GP though, as you never know.

Best Regards

Roger
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
Following several lots of spinal surgery and fusion, I was fitted with a Boston Scientific SCS. Initially this was really good, unfortunately after about 12 months my lower back pain returned with a vengeance. It was indicated that I would be a good candidate for the new Nevro High Frequency SCS system.

The Nevro SCS operates at a frequency too high for the body to detect, so there is none of the awful tingling/pins and needles you experience with lower frequency SCS devices.

My big issue now though, after about 6 months is excrutiating pain around the battery area. The Nevro battery is quite a lot larger than the Boston Scientific one and is rubbing on the underside of my implant scar. This coupled with nerve pain around the battery is leading to many sleepless nights and a whole lot of pain during the day. I've been put on the list for a relocation of the battery, but that could take months. In the meantime I'm taking a lot of painkillers and using Lidocaine patches at night to alleviate it a bit.

Has anyone else had similar issues, and if so, how have you coped ?

Thanks everyone.
I had a SCS implanted and then explanted as well. Mine was from St. Judes. I had an excellent trial, very encouraging. But the perm. one was just not for me. At first it was a real bear getting the darn thing programmed to hit the right area. Which does happen and can be a test of patience, mine never did help my back at all. My pm doctor feels it was because of alot of scar tissue from my fusion surgery. But it was in the right area for the nerve pain in my leg. I did get some relief at first in my right leg. After approximately four months or so, give or take, the battery, which was in my back area, became so sore I just could not stand it. My doctor relocated it for me. He said the battery was in a pocket of fluid, but he did not detect much infection. So, relocated the battery to my abdomen. Fastforward another seven months, and that battery was so sore I just could not take it anymore, coupled with the fact the SCS was no longer controlling my pain at all, I made the decision to have it taken out. I don't regret the decision. I wish you all the best... hope the pain settles down for you.
mystical47 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:15 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy Thanks mystical47

Like yourself my Nevro SCS was moved into my tummy/abdomen area back in early June this year. I've now got a feeling of painful bruising all around the implant especially when I bend forwards. The actual SCS has rotated slightly and is now sitting in a diagonal position.

I'm hoping that something can be done to alleviate this bruising, as I don't really want it removed or repositioned again.