Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI Results

well here they are and i have mixed feelings now. I have been hoping and praying that these would FINALLY show something...but they actually show less than my ct...tear...going to go lock myself in a dark room now and cry.

C5-6:there is a right posterolateral discophyte mildly effacing the ventral sac and resulting in very mild right-sided forminal encroachment. No evidence of cord flattening or alteration in cord signal.

C6-7:there is minimal disc degeneration at this level not resulting in central or foraminal encroachment. No disc protrusion.

IMPRESSION: c5-6 spondylosis with right posterolateral discophyte mildly effacing the sac and encroaching upon the right foramen.

I have no idea what this all mean. I do know that my Dr. said it's not the cause of my sever pain in my neck and left shoulder/arm.

FML i'm so depressed now and people are starting to look at me like I'm loosing it or something. Wow, what a bad day, I'm at an all time low.

xo
cali4nia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=cali4nia;976399]well here they are and i have mixed feelings now. I have been hoping and praying that these would FINALLY show something...but they actually show less than my ct...tear...going to go lock myself in a dark room now and cry.

C5-6:there is a right posterolateral discophyte mildly effacing the ventral sac and resulting in very mild right-sided forminal encroachment. No evidence of cord flattening or alteration in cord signal.

C6-7:there is minimal disc degeneration at this level not resulting in central or foraminal encroachment. No disc protrusion.

IMPRESSION: c5-6 spondylosis with right posterolateral discophyte mildly effacing the sac and encroaching upon the right foramen.

I have no idea what this all mean. I do know that my Dr. said it's not the cause of my sever pain in my neck and left shoulder/arm.

Please dont give up MRI results im not the best at --its more LEE thing --or maybe Jomar with TOS may be on to something ---there is something going on here--dont give up you may just have to investigate more.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'll try to explain a little.

C5-6 At the rear on the right side, there is a bone spur which almost wipes out the front of the thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and cauda equina and is filled with cerebral spinal fluid. This results in very mild right-sided foraminal encroachment. The foramen are the holes that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord.

C6-7 There is minimal disc degeneration. Disc degeneration is a drying out of the discs. This happens with age, and cannot be avoided. Everyone has it. when the discs dry out they flatten and bulge and sometimes herniate. Yours are minimally effected, and I doubt they are even bulging.

Please don't give up. I would take my CT films and my MRI films and get an opinion from another Neurosurgeon. Sometimes different doctors can see different things. But go JUST for an opinion. Do NOT go hoping for surgery. Surgery will NOT ease your pain.

After you get some opinions, I would ask for referrals to physical therapy. More often than not, this will help. All conservative methods should be exhausted before EVER thinking of surgery.

I wish you the very best, my friend. Please let us know how things turn out, and what a Neurosurgeon says. I hope we hear more from you. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks so much

I am wondering why my CT showed much more than my MRI?

for giving me hope. I feel very frustrated as I know the pain is real. My Dr. has sent a referral to see a neurologist as I have a lot of radiating pain and nerve pain and at least he believes me and sees how much pain I'm in.

I won't give up. I just had a very low day yesterday. Today is another day!

cali4nia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

My dad did have a spur or calcium deposit of some sort "grinded" down successfully a few times now, it was causing pain, and other symptoms in his legs. His was in lumbar. It was done in a day surgery, went home that afternoon.

I didn't see his films only got the name/info about it from parents.
But this thing seems to come back every so many years, we can tell by his symptoms..

Not sure if it is the same as what you have or not, but definitely do get more opinions from drs.