Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default OMG..Now what's happening to me...

So three days ago I was standing in my bathroom and I swear to god It felt like someone was dripping cold water down my leg! (there wasn't anyone in the room with me) This has happened a couple times a day since!

What is going on? AM I loosing my mind? It's crazy, it seriously feels like ice cold water dripping down my leg.

All my problems are in my c4-T1. Could this be related to my neck and be a nerve thing? or am I just loosing my mind?:
cali4nia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-27-2013)

advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is from nerve involvement. I can't say for sure if it's nerve "damage" yet, but it's definitely nerve involvement. The nerves are being impinged somewhere, and that's what causes that water effect. Sometimes you may feel burning too, or perhaps an 'electrical zap.' That's also nerve involvement.

This can be controlled with medication, like Neurontin (Gabapentin) -- I hated that stuff cause it made me feel loopy all the time, and I gained about 30 lbs of water weight! My doc put me on Topamax, and that worked great with no side effects. Others have reported having problems on it, but I love it. I've been on it for years! Then there is Lyrica -- I'm on that too, with no problem. I'm sure there are other medications besides, but I can't tell you what they are. I'm only familiar with these, but they all help with the nerve involvement.

Talk to your doc about it. He CAN help you with it. Keep us posted, ok? God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cali4nia (04-24-2013), eva5667faliure (04-27-2013), ginnie (04-27-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Gabapentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
This is from nerve involvement. I can't say for sure if it's nerve "damage" yet, but it's definitely nerve involvement. The nerves are being impinged somewhere, and that's what causes that water effect. Sometimes you may feel burning too, or perhaps an 'electrical zap.' That's also nerve involvement.

This can be controlled with medication, like Neurontin (Gabapentin) -- I hated that stuff cause it made me feel loopy all the time, and I gained about 30 lbs of water weight! My doc put me on Topamax, and that worked great with no side effects. Others have reported having problems on it, but I love it. I've been on it for years! Then there is Lyrica -- I'm on that too, with no problem. I'm sure there are other medications besides, but I can't tell you what they are. I'm only familiar with these, but they all help with the nerve involvement.

Talk to your doc about it. He CAN help you with it. Keep us posted, ok? God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
Yea. I have mentioned all my funny side affects to him and he just kinda makes note of it and has now referred me to a neurologist, which is probably best right now as my imaging reports don't look very bad on paper...it's how I am feeling that is horrible...such a struggle hey??

At one point he put me on gabapentin and I had the same side affects as you did. I felt like a bloody zombie drooling on the couch!

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts! Cali
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-27-2013), tamiloo (04-27-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good grief -- a Neurologist? Why not a Neurosurgeon? I'm not sure a Neurologist is going to be as familiar with this "water effect" as a Neurosurgeon is going to be.

Oh well -- I wish you were going to a Neurosurgeon. You'd have better luck. Let us know what happens. Take care! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

yes, a nuerosurgeon is who you want to see. also a chiropractic visit might help realign your spine and alleviate your symptoms. as far as medications go, i second the Lyrica. without it i cant survive...
tennesseefred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

NO NO NO -- no CHIROPRACTOR until you know what's wrong. Not until it's okayed by your Neuro. Then fine, go to a Chiro. But not until!

I think you know what could be the consequences. I wish people would wake up about that! Sheeesh!

God bless. Hugs, Lee

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
NO NO NO -- no CHIROPRACTOR until you know what's wrong. Not until it's okayed by your Neuro. Then fine, go to a Chiro. But not until!

I think you know what could be the consequences. I wish people would wake up about that! Sheeesh!

God bless. Hugs, Lee
Chiropractic does work and helps many people.
Neuros & most MDs, rarely give a OK to chiropractic because they might lose a patient..(and $$$)

I wish my MD would have suggested it early on.

A good chiro will evaluate you and ask for imaging, before doing treatment.
But seek out a good one , same as for any care provider.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks everyone!!

I think the reason my GP is sending me to a neurologist is because he already sent me to a neurosurgeon and he just looked at me like I was crazy for wasting his time and said that my neck isn't bad enough for him to even look at me!!! didn't ask me anything about anything!

I have stopped seeing my Chiro because after 9 months you'd think you'd see SOME improvement. I will ask my GP next week about Lyrica to see if he thinks it would be good for me.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Evidently you saw a Neurosurgeon who had a huge EGO problem! A good Neurosurgeon will NOT treat you like that. Granted, the neuro who did my surgery was an idiot and his ego was the size of Texas. But the LAST neuro i saw was wonderful! He spent as much time with me as I wanted.

There ARE some good ones out there. You just have to hit and miss.

You're right about the Chiro. You should have seen benefits by now -- obviously it isn't going to work. But like I said before, it could be very dangerous.

I wish you the very best! Please keep us posted, ok? Hugs, Lee

"Thanks for this!" says:
cali4nia (04-27-2013), eva5667faliure (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM #10
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default opions about chiropractric

My GP recommended chiropractic, before he ever took an EXRAY or any other darn thing. That was the worst thing I could have done considering how bad my spine really was. Need to have a neurologist or neruosurgeon clear you for that kind of thing. Can't tell you how much that hurt. I have no idea how much worse it made me until I got the proper help. Please be careful out there. This is just my own personal experience. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: