Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Tramadol vs Norco 10/325

I havent been on here for awhile...I posted my Mri in December. I have severe cervical stenosis and several other neck problems that cause severe pain.
My question is,,I am taking Norco 10/325 for 6 months,,at my last Neuro Surgeon visit I mentioned a concern with long time tylenol use. He suggested a change to Tramadol. I am 63 years old and this is my first experience with pain meds. He is leaving the decision up to me. My research leads me to believe that maybe Tramadol wont help with severe pain.
I have learned that when in doubt,,come to this website,,I can get first hand straight answers here...and for that I am thankful. I would appreciate anyone that has taken both for pain and can tell me their experience. I know everyone is different and that everyones interpretation of pain level is different,,I will appreciate any info that I can get.
Annie1023 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My personal experience with Tramadol is that it gave me a Migraine from hell. And your surgeon is right. Long-term use of Norco CAN be damaging to your liver. I hope you have had liver panels done every few months!!! If not, please ask your doctor to run one NOW.

I think instead of Tramadol, I would rather be on a long-acting medication such as MS Contin or OpanaER or something like that -- a medication that lasts 8 yrs or so. Neither the Tramadol or the Norco lasts anywhere near that long -- in fact you're lucky they last until your next dose!!

I'm 64 yrs old and have been on medicatons for many years. My doctor put me on OpanaER after I'd been on just about everything else - including the meds that contained "Tylenol" and he wanted to get me away from those. It seems to work quite well, and does last for a good long time. I'm NOT pain-free, and never will be, but I'm more "comfortable" that I have been in 27 years!

I wish you the very best! Let us know what happens, ok? God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Annie1023 (05-03-2013)