Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cervical neural foraminal stenosis

Hello all, I have two moderate disc bulges and moderate to severe foraminal stenosis at c4-c7. I have had mri and emg tests done. Emg shows nerve damage. I have gone to two neurosurgeon consults. Both recomend acdf at two levels. current meds are flexeril, tramadol and lyrica. My symptoms are neck pain, mainly left side, both shoulders to center of blades ache and left bicep pain. I am looking for advice. I have read that surgery is for mechanical problems which I believe nerve damage is. I also know acdf does not help neck pain. I am able for now to live with pain but I am definately getting worse this last year. I am affraid nerve damage will progress. I am scheduled for esi in two weeks. Should I bite the bullet and have surgery? I am fifty five years old. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks
artic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mechanical problems are like making the joints work, not nerve damage. But anyway -- since you have nerve damage and it will probably progress it probably is best that you have surgery but I'M NO DOCTOR.

Just so you realize that it may not relieve your pain -- that's good.

And if you decide to have the surgery, do NOT have the ESI. There would be no need for it, and besides they're dangerous. Steroids are not good for the body either. So if you decide to have surgery, cancel the ESI.

Surgery probably is your best bet at this point. I wish you the very best. Let us know how you come out, okay? God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[Hi Artic --yes surgery is to resolve mechanical issues--- but for high % of people like me also found HUGE pain relief as well. I had all 4 disc pressing spinal cord and there are many of us in this forum and prob alot more that dont post anymore. Because there out living there lives---who had great outcomes. Lee-- is right at least you know the risks but mainly any good spinal surgeon won't perform or even suggest this surgery unless its truly needed---its done mainly to avoid perm nerve damage. They can't or won't guarntee the level of pain relief but the stats are high of people who have achieved a good outcome with little --or no pain!! Your symptoms sound classic. I have no regrets of my surgery but I also had 3 consults and mine was not even a option. I had so many consults because Im single good career and new home and I was worried about my future. If you do need this surgery-- please dont fear it-- most of us are home within 24hrs ---for me recovery was so much easier --but i was in such mind numbing pain before surgery morphine wouldnt touch it. Again no regrets it gave me my life back . I wish you all the best!!!!!

Last edited by mg neck prob; 05-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default hello

i had a four level fusion done that took eleven hours. it was major surgery and i came out nearly pain free. i'd go for it.....pal pete
pete81241 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (05-09-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The horror of getting old!!

Thanks all for the replies. My pain levels now are not bad all the time. I know others are worse off. The whole thing, burning nerve pain just wears you down I guess. Not knowing what to do for sure is hard to deal with. I cant do the things I used to be able to do. With surgery you can never be sure of the outcome. I have read where many others regret doing it. Let alone the whole hard collar thing. Plus I was told I could not go back to my old job. I have been doing the same thing for thirty years. I am at a whole new phase of my life. You would think things would get better as you get older but not so!! I hate getting old, I sure others do also.

Thanks Artic
artic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM #6
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Artic

I am not a big fan of ESI. In my opinion, they sometimes cause some problems and more pain. I refused the ESI injections. I am fused C3-7. I was a succesfull outcome, so if you do have surgery, know that it can turn out OK. It is great that you had more than one opinion too. I am not a doc. either, but if the surgery was suggested by more than one doctor and they both agreed, I would go through the surgery.. I had three opinions on this last surgery. I wish you all the best, and a good resolution. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (05-10-2013)