Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Saw a neurosurgeon yesterday

I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and I was very comfortable with his recommendation. He recommends a "laminotomy-foraminotomy-decompression of the stenosis" between C7 -T1 on the right side. He said that if I can live with the neck pain from the arthritis/degenerative disk disease in C4-C6, then leave it alone. I have been living with that for many years now, so I see no reason that I can't continue to live with it. He said the radiologist underestimated the stenosis in C7-T1 on his report, because his opinion is that it's severe. He also said that this has been going on a long time, a lot longer than I've been having this nerve pain. I feel somewhat relieved; what do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Saw a neurosurgeon yesterday-c7-t1-jpg  
ber237 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (05-22-2013)

advertisement
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, I'm shocked to be honest. I was SURE he would be more concerned with C5-7 since you had SEVERE issues there.

At C7-7 the only thing the radiologist noted was a broad based herniation with hooking bone spurs and MODERATE foraminal stenosis on the right. So he MUST have missed something!

I think I'd get another opinion before I'd go ahead with the surgery, Ber. I'm serious!!! PLEASE get another opinion!!! These SEVERE issues at C5-7 SHOULD NOT be overlooked!!!

Best of luck and let us know what happens. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ber237 (05-22-2013), mg neck prob (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber237 View Post
I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and I was very comfortable with his recommendation. He recommends a "laminotomy-foraminotomy-decompression of the stenosis" between C7 -T1 on the right side. He said that if I can live with the neck pain from the arthritis/degenerative disk disease in C4-C6, then leave it alone. I have been living with that for many years now, so I see no reason that I can't continue to live with it. He said the radiologist underestimated the stenosis in C7-T1 on his report, because his opinion is that it's severe. He also said that this has been going on a long time, a lot longer than I've been having this nerve pain. I feel somewhat relieved; what do you all think?
Ber ---Im in 100% in total agreement with Leesa ! I have numerous family members and people I know do the laminotomy and foramintomy and no relief to all wind up ending needing a fusion . Your MRI problems were strongest c5 thru c7. I always think surgery is the last resort. That being said neck fusion does have a higer success rate then lower back. The fusion is considered GOLD STANDARD--proved higly successful for over 30 plus years. There is no gurantee with any surgery ---honestly im shocked at your surgeon response. This was the last thing I expected him to say. Please seek at least 2 more consults before moving forward.

p.s i know the procedure is alot easier recovery-- but my major concern is c5-7

Last edited by mg neck prob; 05-22-2013 at 08:00 AM.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ber237 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well now I get to be the one who is surprised. I thought the conservative approach was the way to go. It could be because I presented with classic nerve pain and with no symptoms from the C5-C7 issues, which obviously didn't happen overnight. Maybe that's why he thinks they don't need fusions. I mean he looked at the same pictures the radiologist did. He did say he wished he could see the MRI pictures from 2010, which I think I'm going to ask for. It takes so long to get appointments with neurosurgeons...what's a girl to do?
ber237 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber237 View Post
Well now I get to be the one who is surprised. I thought the conservative approach was the way to go. It could be because I presented with classic nerve pain and with no symptoms from the C5-C7 issues, which obviously didn't happen overnight. Maybe that's why he thinks they don't need fusions. I mean he looked at the same pictures the radiologist did. He did say he wished he could see the MRI pictures from 2010, which I think I'm going to ask for. It takes so long to get appointments with neurosurgeons...what's a girl to do?
I know its not easy --it def is a much easier procedue and quicker recovery. I think req 2010 mri as well. My only concern is he focsed on c7-t1---if ur going thru a procedure sometimes they get in there and see fusion is required may not have your consent. Try to get one more consult or drop off your mri from 2010 and ask him to call you after he reads it-- and inquire about the c5-c7 disc. Im not knocking it but before u go thru surgery of any kind I would make sure your both confident this is the best option.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ber237 (05-22-2013)