Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Physical Therapy after ACDF

I have a few questions about physical therapy that I hope someone can help me with. I had my first appointment this week (10 weeks post-op c4-7 acdf) and was given some exercises to do at home. They are basic moving my head exercises such as turning my head left/right, chin to chest and extending up as well as ear to shoulder. They are absolutely excruciating. My range of motion is awful but it's so upsetting how little I can move without feeling pain. Is this normal? Do I push through the pain or will I make it worse? The PT told me to move to strain not to pain but it's all pain. I go back tomorrow but I'm really nervous. Also, since starting these exercises, I am experiencing more tingling and numbness in both hands. What is normal and what were your experiences? What kind of range of motion do you currently have? Thanks in advance for any responses.
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (08-22-2015)

advertisement
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelKB View Post
I have a few questions about physical therapy that I hope someone can help me with. I had my first appointment this week (10 weeks post-op c4-7 acdf) and was given some exercises to do at home. They are basic moving my head exercises such as turning my head left/right, chin to chest and extending up as well as ear to shoulder. They are absolutely excruciating. My range of motion is awful but it's so upsetting how little I can move without feeling pain. Is this normal? Do I push through the pain or will I make it worse? The PT told me to move to strain not to pain but it's all pain. I go back tomorrow but I'm really nervous. Also, since starting these exercises, I am experiencing more tingling and numbness in both hands. What is normal and what were your experiences? What kind of range of motion do you currently have? Thanks in advance for any responses.

If i do chin to chest cause me pain 3yrs out from surgery --if I look up at the sky or roll shoulders forward --all these I learned I can't and won't do anymore. I would say don't do anything that causes pain. Remember what I said about posture its the one thing I learned to control from trial and error.I have a good range of motion but when driving esp switching lane I have to use shoulders to turn head. I got a truck with back up camera after surgery not that I had too--- I just wanted it to feel more secure as I was nervous about backing up esp parking lot and hitting somebody. I was nervous if i would miss a blind spot. For me-- till this day-- looking down and up is not a good thing --the other thing is I cant sleep on the right side anymore as it cause right shoulder pain .My advice to you is listen to your body --its not like a workout when your trying to get in shape no pain no gain--- after neck surgery anything brings pain avoid like the plague is my advice. Cherl you know i wish you nothing but the best. Please avoid anything that causes pain.

p.s almost forgot yes i still have finger numbness that never went away --but it dont stop me from doing anything.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (06-05-2013), eva5667faliure (08-22-2015)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default standard vs acute rehab

Hi! I keep repeating this but I'm sure I'm right. The therapists all learned from the same book and all apply the same procedures here. This is good for knees, hips ,ect. but not so good for the neck after decompression and fusion. The neck surgery area needs a different approach- it needs to be relaxed, soothed, cooled down-not irritated more! Your excruciating pain confirms this. Their hidden thought will be- your not a good patient(not ,I need to change what I'm doing here) I compare their method to - trying to repair a watch with a hammer and chisel! I experienced the bad side of this, I'm not just blowing smoke about it. I trusted many health care "professionals" over the years and found out they are just hacks earning a paycheck. I would return and ask if they have acute rehab available that can deal with neurological deficits. If there is not a straight yes or no answer and a plan (after an evaluation), I would politely say goodbye and move on to a facility that can handle you. Standard rehab will not work! I suffered terribly under standard rehab until I rebelled and said "enough"!- your killing me here-I'm out. Acute rehab will be much better for you. I guess I might as well tell you now- you are now a resident on "the island of misfit toys"! this is different,we are in an area of your body that has a conduit of nerves passing through.It's not about hammering out more exercises. It's about getting relief and maintaining function and balance.Try to avoid advice from standard rehab knee, hip , shoulder patients- they mean well but you are now on the island with the rest of us. Talk to whiplash people wearing the cervical collar, younger people(20,30,40 somethings) walking with canes and have that gait deficit style of walking. You will be able to spot them soon enough; ask them where they rehabbed. also, your surgeon can help with this and write a script to the right facility. for you , right now - get an ice pack on that area and calm it down.. Thanks for reading, take care..sfink
sfink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After I had spinal surgery I was told BOTH TIMES, that if the exercises caused me pain, I was NOT TO DO THEM. Now, it would seem that it would hold true for you too. I don't see where things would have changed -- I cannot see why they would want you to work THRU the pain. That doesn't make sense, because that just makes the pain worse!

I would talk with your therapist. Ask him/her what to do. If it hurts to do it, are you supposed to STILL do it. I would think not, but ask him.

You don't want to mess up your recovery, that's for sure. I wish you the best. And use ice for pain, 20 minutes every 2 hours. It worked for me! God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the responses. When I went back on Monday, I told them I was in pain so we started off with 10 minutes of heat followed by the same exercises (I didn't try to push as far) and some new ones like 10 minutes on an arm bike (not sure if that is what it's called) and then sitting on a stability ball straight & then slouching and then over-correcting my posture...it was ok. I still hurt - livable so I'll keep at it. I don't like hearing weird things in my neck. It makes me nervous. I'm discovering that I am now on Misfit Island & it's a bit frustrating...
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ber237 (06-05-2013), eva5667faliure (08-22-2015)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. When I went back on Monday, I told them I was in pain so we started off with 10 minutes of heat followed by the same exercises (I didn't try to push as far) and some new ones like 10 minutes on an arm bike (not sure if that is what it's called) and then sitting on a stability ball straight & then slouching and then over-correcting my posture...it was ok. I still hurt - livable so I'll keep at it. I don't like hearing weird things in my neck. It makes me nervous. I'm discovering that I am now on Misfit Island & it's a bit frustrating...

hahaha that make me laugh-- Misfit Island
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default "Spinal Misfit Island"

Quote:
Sadly I say that's true for me too. Pain has taken over my life and I join you on Misfit Isle.
ber237 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-18-2015, 01:25 PM #8

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default PT after acdf

Hello,
I am 12 weeks post op from 3 level acdf surgery. I have been told that they will not even discuss PT until the 3 month appointment. I did ask again, about PT and the PA told me that most patients don't need it. I thought this was extreemly odd in all the research I have read about the importance of rehabilitation after spinal surgery. Anyway I have been letting her opinion bother me the past week, and frankly am not sure what to think. I am prepared to kindly and firmly request PT at the appointment if needed. I understand the waiting, so that my neck can become more stable, I just hope I do get a recommendation for it. If the Doctor denies giving me a recommendation could I get one from my GP? I have atrophy in my neck from the collar use, my hands and arms are weak and my over all core strength is lacking. I am walking every day as prescribed, up to almost 4 miles right now.
I am wondering what others experiences are with their surgeons.
Thanks,
alepatmat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: