Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Back Muscles Throbbing

I can't take it anymore. My back muscles just throb and spasm all day. Add that on top of the lower back pain I have and I'm gonna go crazy. I take Tramadol, Meloxicam, Skelaxin, and Gabapentin.

Is there a stronger muscle relaxer than Skelaxin? I think I need my gabapentin increased as well.

I'm going to the drs at 8 am tomorrow, cause I told him it was an emergency. My pain level is about a 9 right now, and it's so hard to work like this. I just want to sit at my desk and cry.

I really wish i didn't get addicted to narcotics, but it happens every damn time. That's why my back dr won't give me the good stuff.

Any insight would help.
Moreta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I wish I had seen this yesterday or the day before, but I've been bedridden.

What did the doc end up giving you? I was going to suggest he switch you to something different that Gabapentin -- I HATED that stuff and it never worked for me. Plus the muscle relaxer that worked well for me was Soma, but it CAN be addictive. And all Tramadol ever did for me was give me a Migraine from hell!

I really feel for you. I hope your doc gave you SOMETHING to help with your pain. Let us know will you? God bless & please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM #3
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Moreta,

I've read through your previous posts. What, exactly, is the problem (dx) in your back? Have you had any physical therapy? Myofascial triggerpoint therapy? TENS? Other?

Skelaxin isn't the strongest muscle relaxer, nor is it the mildest, but that may not be relevant. Since people respond differently to meds, a mild relaxer can affect some people as much as a strong one can affect others and vice versa. Also, Skelaxin works best when taken with food.

If you have a problem with narcotics, be aware that muscle relaxers can become addictive as well, and can have similar tolerance issues.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Moreta,
I know how bad the muscle cramps and soreness can be. Have you tried lidoderm (Lidocaine) patch? I know it sure does help with my muscle soreness! And if cost is an issue you could ask the pharmacy for ointment instead of the patches. It doesn't take all the pain away but takes the edge off at least. I used to take flexeril but it made me too tired so I was switched over to zanaflex and that seems to work out better for me. I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Pendora is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM #5

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I have had for the last 4 months a lower lumbar problem. My lower back muscles throb with pain when I try to walk. The worse part is sitting down and then getting up to walk. The pain level is 10, not 9. I now have a cane to try and walk. I fell on a concrete step edge. No cracks or torn muscles I'm told with x-ray. I do not understand why this pain won't go away? I have taken Naproxen 500mg (1250mg at a time), aspirin you name it. All of which is OTC except the Naproxen. Helps a bit but never, ever goes away. I have also tried deep massage therapy, chiropractor and acupuncture...you name it.
THE HARDEST IS TRYING TO GO TO WORK IN SO MUCH PAIN AND TRYING TO FAKE IT TO EVERYONE? DOES NOT WORK....I AM CRYING IN PAIN. ALL I CAN DO IS COME TO THIS FORUM AND WRITE ABOUT IT. I JUST NEED SOME RELIEF, JUST FOR A MOMENT. I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE HAVE IT WORSE THAN ME AND I AM SO SORRY FOR THEM, I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE HOW THEY DO IT?
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEA OF WHAT I COULD TAKE TO HELP WITH SOME OF THIS PAIN?
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND ANYONE IN PAIN!
corsair6477 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 AM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Have you tried a TENS, or IF stim?

If you only had x rays , might be time for MRI or CT scan...

Did the chiro have his own x rays, or did he only do adjusting?
The chiro I went to did soft tissue work and had IF stim, & low level laser - also called soft or cold laser.

But if nothing shows as broke or misaligned or impinging on nerves, it could be soft tissue and/or trigger points.. My chiro did trigger point work too..
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (06-25-2015)