Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 01:11 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Quesion about Lumbar prob's-anyone here??

Hi everyone ) New here and was hoping someone might be able to help me with my MRI results. I want to see if anyone is even here yet before I do though, lol. But they are lumbar problems

Thanks!
jena1225 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-05-2007, 01:29 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Go ahead and post your Q's. There are a number of folks with a lot of info. around these parts . Surely, someone will be able to help you .

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did so on the other post, however, I may get more "looks" here!

Well, Basically, my MRI shows: (won't write the whole thing!, lol)

*L4-5 and L5-S1 Intervertebral discs show minimal degenerative changes.

*L4-5 there is minimal disc bulge noted centrally causing bilateral foraminal narrowing (more prominant then my exam in 11/06. Overall, signal intensity of interverebral disc at this level has decreased indicating progressive degeneration.

*L5-S1 small central bulge

*L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 Hypertrophic changes of the facet joints.

Oh, I should add that in 11/06, my MRI showed only a bulge at L5-S1 and "some" hypertrphy. AND, it did not seem to show any IDD or arthritus, BUT an xray at the OS office apparently did. I am confused about that, and ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Because some types of arthritis are often progressive, prior radiographic imaging - such as X-ray, MRI, CT - may not have detected the extent and can only do so if there is progression.

DJD, DDD, degenerative arthritis all mean the same: Osteoarthritis (OA).

Do you have the radiology report from 11/06? If so, I'd take a copy of that along with the most recent report to the doc. whom ordered the latest films and ask the doctor about the findings from both.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
Because some types of arthritis are often progressive, prior radiographic imaging - such as X-ray, MRI, CT - may not have detected the extent and can only do so if there is progression.

DJD, DDD, degenerative arthritis all mean the same: Osteoarthritis (OA).

Do you have the radiology report from 11/06? If so, I'd take a copy of that along with the most recent report to the doc. whom ordered the latest films and ask the doctor about the findings from both.
I have an appt Monday morning with PM. I was just hoping to get some feedback in the meantime. Thanks

Funny, they did not put my old report back in my sleeve! They did that to me last time I will have to just get it before my appt on Monday.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you're not able to attain a copy of the report before your PM appointment, the PM doc may, still, be able to explain about the differences displaying in the reports (older and newer).

Is it a new PM doc or someone you've been seeing? If it's someone you've seen before, the doc might already have a copy of the report.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:27 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

L4-5 and L5-S1 Intervertebral discs show minimal degenerative changes.

*L4-5 there is minimal disc bulge noted centrally causing bilateral foraminal narrowing (more prominant then my exam in 11/06. Overall, signal intensity of interverebral disc at this level has decreased indicating progressive degeneration.

*L5-S1 small central bulge

*L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 Hypertrophic changes of the facet joints.

Hello! I am not a doctor but your MRI results sounded so familiar.

First off do not worry about the different results, different machines *see different things, just like the different x-ray or radiologists have different interpertations.

First off reading what you wrote what stands out is - your MRI sounds kinda like mine - but milder. The diagnosis is Degenerative Disk Disease, and possibly like mine you started off with herniated disks and lost some of your disk height.....mine is literally almost bone on bone now - the constant rubbing causes the bones to try to heal themselves growing bone spurs - which cause a whole host of different problems.

To your MRI:

L4-L5 L5-S1 mild changes to the disk - this could be due to aging - weight or injury.....Means the Disk essentially looks good but there are some changes to the anulus (middle) - can be a cause of pain.

L4-L5 herniated disk

go to http://www.chirogeek.com/001_Tutoria...h-of-Bulge.htm to learn more.

All the best - Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Kim! I did some reasearch and this is what I have gotten from reading up on everything. Let me know what you think!

2 Disc Bulges, not yet herniated
Osteoarthtitis (DDD)
Annular Tear (this was told to me by OS from xray) Do you see this written here?)
Spinal Stenosis
Bone Surs

And it boggles my mind that they describe all this as mild! I cannot sit down, stand up, bend, twist, pull, lift, have a BM without my back locking up, or feeling it will break I tried just tugging the sheet on the corner of my bed, and I screamed in pain. I also have chronic MS pain, but it is different pain. I have myself on bedrest until my furst PM appt on Monday.

In your opinion, out of all the above, what do YOU think would cause the most pain?? Also, since we have uch similarities, what do you take for pain, and does it work?

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:58 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jenna!

I am glad Dr. Doug's website helped....You did some wonderful research! Dr. Gillard does get email questions as well, so if you do not get your questions answered on Monday - email him. He says that every person is different and every person experiences pain differently - look at his research on sciatica. So do not worry about the findings being mild - tell your doctor how the pain affects YOU....I remember when I first got injured - the mri findings were mild back then....and I could not move - now after 11 years they are severe phase III at the L5-S1 area - and moderate to severe at L4 Phase II and mild at L3 and I can move - I learned how to live with the injury.

I sympathize with your MS pain...I can relate - I was put on a medication once that mirrored MS (literally - went through all the scans - bottom line it was the meds causing the symptoms) being Native American I shy away from compartmentalizing my body like the medical professionals do because that is not the way I was raised and not my heritage - I am a whole person, mind, body, soul - so I can only answer your question saying a a combination of all the listed MRI findings are the reason for your pain.

I approach pain relief with combination of spirituality, meditation, relaxation, Alexander techniques, massage, bath/aroma therapy, diet (combo of mediterranean/anti-inflammatory), teas and plenty of water, some isometric exercises (cannot move), and plenty of ice packs - I actively practice PRICE (Prevention, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) when in a flare. I do take a muscle relaxant, a nsaid and a mild opiod daily (in a flare and just had surgery) but I try to stay away from medications. My Primary doc just called and wants to put me on a statin for cholesterol - guess what I asked her, Doc... let me try something with my diet first - and we retest in 3 weeks...I was like that with all my meds........I am not completely pain free, - pain is my bodies way of telling me where my limitations are - I cope.

Have plenty of pillows around (I have 9 as I am more in bed then mobile) and everything close at hand, books, computer, water and a very understanding family. I prefer ice only because it helps to deaden the nerves going down my legs - others prefer heat - find out what is best for you....

This place is wonderful for support and any questions you may have.

Good luck on Monday -

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh the lumbar. Mine went out big time 15 years ago after breaking up a fight at school. I also had done stupid lifting things to put my lower back in permanent discord.

Luckily I have avoided surgery there. I do it with limited activity, rest periods, meds, heat, and shear luck.

Lumbar is strange. What I have pathologically wrong with mine could drive a person straight to surgery while someone worse off than me may be having very little problems and live out life with little pain or dysfunction from there injuries/diseases.

I go from thinking I'm fine to barely walking all the time. One wrong move and POW...down for the count.

jb