Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk headaches following ESI

Hi Everyone,

I finally had interlaminar cervical steroidal injection into C6 C7. I have ddd and spinal stenosis, bone spurs, bulging discs ect in my neck. Main problem is moderate cord compression at c5 c6 and c6 c7. constant pain radiating burning pain bilaterly through shoulders, arms and into hands fingers. pins and needles.

It has been two days since first shot. the burning in my arms and shoulders are gone yeah. mild numbness in hands and finger big improvement. problem is I have a headache that wont quit and very stiff neck all the way to my mid back. Over all I guess these symptoms are a little better because at least I can sleep now. Does anyone know if the headache will subside and how long. I am supposed to have another shot in five days and am afraid if the headache gets any worse I will be in the same pain boat as I have been just different pain.

thanks
rhondaroo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

The headache may be cervicogenic (50¢ word for muscle stress) from the injection. Could possibly be tense muscles, minor inflammation, other reaction to the injection. What have you tried for it? If an OTC NSAID or acetaminophen doesn't work, you might call the doc and ask for a mild muscle relaxer (if that's the cause). I'd definitely call your doctor though; IMO, s/he needs to know this before proceeding.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rhondaroo (06-15-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaroo View Post
Hi Everyone,

I finally had interlaminar cervical steroidal injection into C6 C7. I have ddd and spinal stenosis, bone spurs, bulging discs ect in my neck. Main problem is moderate cord compression at c5 c6 and c6 c7. constant pain radiating burning pain bilaterly through shoulders, arms and into hands fingers. pins and needles.

It has been two days since first shot. the burning in my arms and shoulders are gone yeah. mild numbness in hands and finger big improvement. problem is I have a headache that wont quit and very stiff neck all the way to my mid back. Over all I guess these symptoms are a little better because at least I can sleep now. Does anyone know if the headache will subside and how long. I am supposed to have another shot in five days and am afraid if the headache gets any worse I will be in the same pain boat as I have been just different pain.

thanks
Doc's words are golden. One other infrequent possibility is that the dura was nicked during the injection and is leaking (very small amounts) CSF. You should call your doc to discuss!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM #4
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Dubious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Doc's words are golden. One other infrequent possibility is that the dura was nicked during the injection and is leaking (very small amounts) CSF. You should call your doc to discuss!

Any time I have had an injection that contained steroids; I would get awful migraine headaches. Some time ago,I had been getting some procedures for my lumbar spine. Was not aware of the sterioid being part of this procedure. I was due for another procedure within a week. I told the nurse; "if I didn't know better, I would think I had had a steroid injection". She told me "you did" the steroid was part of the procedure. This had happened to me before; that is why I had mentioned this awful headache.

This may be a good reason for your headaches. Many people do have this reaction to steroids; especially injections.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was curious to find that not all sites list headache as a common side effect of steroidal injections (I got them myself when that therapy was tried unsuccessfully), but in poking around, I found this:

Epidural Steroid Injections: Risks and Side Effects

I think it's worth mentioning that getting such a headache does not necessarily mean that the dura was punctured; the incidence of incidental headache is fairly common, while dural punctures are reportedly rare (0.5%). For more technical/detailed info., see:

incidence of headache in interlaminar cervical steroid injection

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dubious (06-15-2013), ger715 (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I was curious to find that not all sites list headache as a common side effect of steroidal injections (I got them myself when that therapy was tried unsuccessfully), but in poking around, I found this:

Epidural Steroid Injections: Risks and Side Effects

I think it's worth mentioning that getting such a headache does not necessarily mean that the dura was punctured; the incidence of incidental headache is fairly common, while dural punctures are reportedly rare (0.5%). For more technical/detailed info., see:

incidence of headache in interlaminar cervical steroid injection

Doc
Definitely not common.....but does happen. I have personally witnessed that complication more than several times over the years. That's why I said "infrequent possibility!"
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote