Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Please Help With Cervical MRI Results

hi, i posted over on the MS side but it was suggested i post this here also.. i am thinking i was misdaignosed with MS> my brain MRI's came back normal but this was my Cervical MRI:

HISTORY: Multiple sclerosis.

COMPARSION: No relevant prior studies.

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar, multisequence MR images of the cervical spine were obtained before and after IV gadolinium administration (20 mL Magnevist).

FINDINGS:
There is preservation of the normal cervical lordosis. The vertebral body heights are preserved without traumatic fracture or dislocation.

The spinal cord demonstrates normal signal intensity without suspicious lesion. The craniocervical junction is within normal limits. No abnormal postgadolinium enhancement is seen.

Mild disc desiccation is present at C3-4. Intervertebral disc space narrowing seen at C5-6.

C2-3: No disc bulge, neural foraminal narrowing or spinal canal stenosis is seen.

C3-4: No disc bulge, neural foraminal narrowing or spinal canal stenosis is seen.

C4-5: Disc osteophyte complex causes mild right and moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing without spinal canal stenosis.

C5-6: Disc osteophyte complex causes moderate left and mild right neural foraminal narrowing. There is moderate spinal canal stenosis with flattening of the spinal cord.

C6-7: No disc bulge, neural foraminal narrowing or spinal canal stenosis is seen. Mild left facet arthrosis present.

C7-T1: No disc bulge, neural foraminal narrowing or spinal canal stenosis is seen.

Paravertebral soft tissues are within normal limits.

IMPRESSION:
1. No suspicious spinal cord lesion is seen.

2. Mild/moderate degenerative change of the cervical spine.

3. Moderate spinal canal stenosis at C5-6.

4. Mild right and moderate left C4-5 and C5-6 neuroforaminal narrowing

can you please tell me what all of this means and would it give me symptoms classic with MS?
briancrotts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI results

Brian,

your report is somewhat simlar to mine - been dealing with cervical injury from years ago but wasnt causing too many problems then a car accident escalated things. How would you get an MS DX without a brain MRI.

Did doc tell you tat you need surgery on cervical? I am told I need a 2 level fusion
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default symptoms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinga View Post
Brian,

your report is somewhat simlar to mine - been dealing with cervical injury from years ago but wasnt causing too many problems then a car accident escalated things. How would you get an MS DX without a brain MRI.

Did doc tell you tat you need surgery on cervical? I am told I need a 2 level fusion
Also what are your specific symptoms
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Brian,

i was diagnosed in 2008.. i had the brain MRI, spinal tap.. all kinds of tests.. the DX was congirmed by a nuero Dr at UCLA..

the original brain MRI i had in 2008, the report did not mention leasions but the doc said he saw them in the films.. my 2 MR's since then have showed no lesions.

my symptoms include:

left leg weakness
left arm weakness
vision problems
at times trouble chewing and swallowing

also, i am 37
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default symptoms...

Quote:
Brian,

Also what are your specific symptoms
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help:

C2-3 & C3-4 are Normal

C4-5 Bone spur complex causes mild right and moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing. The foramen are the holes that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord. Yours are getting narrow. The spinal canal is ok.

C5-6 Bone spur complex causes moderate left and mild right neuroforaminal narrowing. (See above.) There is moderate spinal canal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) with flattening of the spinal cord.

C6-7 Mild Facet Arthrosis The facets are the "wing-like" structures on each side of the spinal cord. They can sometimes be seen and felt, when you hunch your back over. Arthrosis is degenerative disease of a joint.

C7-T1 Normal

Impression: Mild/moderate degenerative changes of cervical spine. By that he means degenerative disc disease which everyone gets as they age. There is nothing we can do about it. Degenerative disc disease is when the discs dry out, and they flatten and tend to bulge/herniate.

The area that concerns me is C5-6 where the stenosis causes FLATTENING of the SPINAL CORD. I don't really like the sounds of that.

I think I would take my films to a NEUROSURGEON for an OPINION ONLY and see what he has to say. IF he suggests surgery, take the films to 2 MORE Neurosurgeons, as surgery should be a last resort after all conservative methods have been exhausted!!!

I must tell you that I am NOT a doctor, but have researched this "stuff" for 28 years. If you have any questions, let me know. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i called my neuro today to see f thy got the results from the MRI and the frond desk lady said the notes from the Dr regarding this MRI were "Okay".

time for a new Dr?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think I would at LEAST take the films to a Neurosurgeon for his OPINION just to make sure. And I would ASK him about the moderate stenosis, and DEFINITELY ask him about the flattening of the spinal cord at C5-6 -- tell him about your symptoms and pain. Make SURE he's aware of everything, and don't let him intimidate you! He puts his pants on the same way you do, so he's no BETTER than you are!!!

You just need to know that everything is alright. But you also need to know if it's going to STAY alright, and if it's not, about how long can you anticipate before you start having WORSE problems than you're having now?

So go see a Neurosurgeon, okay? Best of luck, and let us know what he says, will you? God bless! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (06-19-2013)