Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI Results - Steroid injections?

I am a 21 year old female with back pain of about a year.
I had to suffer for a year before getting an MRI because
"I am too young to be having these problems" and I just got my MRI results back and here are the findings:

The marrow spaces demonstrated no evidence of fractures or bone
bruises. The conus ended at the superior margin of L1 and had a
normal appearance. The L1-2, L2-3 and L3-4 levels were unremarkable.

L4-5 demonstrates a mild degree of degenerative disc disease with
tiny anterior and posterior osteophytes. There is a moderate size
central disc protrusion with a moderate degree of central dural sac
encroachment very slightly to left of the midline as well. AP
dimension of the dural sac was approximately 8.5 millimeters. There
was a suggestion of mild facet hypertrophic degenerative change.

L5-S1 level demonstrates minimal degenerative disc disease. Mild
facet hypertrophic degenerative changes were identified.

Impression
IMPRESSION:
1. Moderate sized central disc protrusion at L4-5 with the moderate
degenerative disc disease and moderate central dural sac encroachment.
2. Mild degenerative disc disease with a mild bulge at L5-S1.
3. Mild facet hypertrophic degenerative change L4-5 and L5-S1 without
neural foramen encroachment.

Surgery not recommended, the doctor recommended steroid injections and medication management and said it should be able to get better on its own. I am just trying to make better sense of these results as to the seriousness of this condition.I just got fired from my job due to being in a lot of pain and them not being willing to accommodate my condition better. And my insurance will be cancelled in about a week so I am not sure if I should do the injections or what to do.
mw11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default my story

I will tell you my story. I have had a tear in my disk in my back since I was 24 yrs old, I am now 48. They suggested surgery for me at 24.. thank goodness I generally don't listen.. lol..

I have used McKenzie exercises for the past 24 yrs, I also hang up side down and do yoga. Until 2 years ago that was enough to be fine, in general as long as I did the exercises I was good.

You can learn the techniques by getting the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.

That being said, as long as you commit to trying exercise (as able) I think doing a steroid shot here and there might be helpful, it wasn't until recently that these shots became common.

Best wishes.
J.
joojee22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chicken (06-28-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'll try to help

L4-5 Mild degree of degenerative disc disease -- this is drying out of the discs. This happens with age -- some of us get is sooner than others. When the discs dry out, they flatten and bulge/herniate. Tiny front and back bone spurs. Moderate size central disc herniation with moderate degree of central dural sac encroachment slightly left of midline. Suggestion of mild facet hypertrophic (overgrowth of bone) degenerative change. The facets are the "wing-like" structure on each side of the spinal cord. If you hunch your back you can sometimes see and feel them.

L5-S1 Minimal degenerative disc disease (see above). Mild facet hypertrophic degenerative changes identified (see above)

I would go ahead and TRY the injections if you can get in within the alloted time of your insurance. These injections sometimes work, and many times do NOT. If they don't work the first time, do NOT let them do any more! The second one won't work if the first one doesn't! Don't let them tell you that they have to "build up in your system" as that's a LIE. You can read the medical journals and find out!!!

I wish you the very best! If you have any more questions, just ask ok? Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Lee-(quick note): they can change to type of steriod injection. there is 3 types and sometimes one type works when the others don't and sometimes like myself i have to have several types in combination to make it work.

I'm currently doing a transforaminal and a medial branch block on my L5/S1 and I might even add the facet joint injecton

On my neck however, the only one that even helped even a little was the facet joint injections, none of the others

J.
joojee22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw11 View Post
I am a 21 year old female with back pain of about a year.
I had to suffer for a year before getting an MRI because
"I am too young to be having these problems" and I just got my MRI results back and here are the findings:

The marrow spaces demonstrated no evidence of fractures or bone
bruises. The conus ended at the superior margin of L1 and had a
normal appearance. The L1-2, L2-3 and L3-4 levels were unremarkable.

L4-5 demonstrates a mild degree of degenerative disc disease with
tiny anterior and posterior osteophytes. There is a moderate size
central disc protrusion with a moderate degree of central dural sac
encroachment very slightly to left of the midline as well. AP
dimension of the dural sac was approximately 8.5 millimeters. There
was a suggestion of mild facet hypertrophic degenerative change.

L5-S1 level demonstrates minimal degenerative disc disease. Mild
facet hypertrophic degenerative changes were identified.

Impression
IMPRESSION:
1. Moderate sized central disc protrusion at L4-5 with the moderate
degenerative disc disease and moderate central dural sac encroachment.
2. Mild degenerative disc disease with a mild bulge at L5-S1.
3. Mild facet hypertrophic degenerative change L4-5 and L5-S1 without
neural foramen encroachment.

Surgery not recommended, the doctor recommended steroid injections and medication management and said it should be able to get better on its own. I am just trying to make better sense of these results as to the seriousness of this condition.I just got fired from my job due to being in a lot of pain and them not being willing to accommodate my condition better. And my insurance will be cancelled in about a week so I am not sure if I should do the injections or what to do.
If you can get an epidural scheduled and in before your coverage lapses, go for it. Statistically, there is improvement with 60-70% of the cases (where there is clear indication like compressive herniation). Since your presentation is a central disc, I would guess they will do an interlaminar ESI, if you want to read up on it! I had a series of 3 for a lumbar disc herniation when I was 24 yrs old. It's the only thing that got me over the hump and kept me out of surgery.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you all for your responses. I was unable to get an injection before my coverage ended because they didn't tell me to bring a driver and I can't afford cobra so I am in a difficult situation. I am trying to apply for other jobs but I can't sit or stand in one place for more than about twenty minutes.
I don't know what jobs I can do since at the moment all I can comfortably do is lay down and ice my back or do back stretches and walk for about half an hour before I have to stop. I am really hoping this gets better on its own but it has been about 14 months since I hurt my back and it is still not feeling better. I think the worst part is the depression this is causing because I feel like I will never be normal or live a normal life and it is scaring me to death because I do not want it to get worse or be dependent on anyone else :/
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I also forgot to mention that I have depression and anxiety issues which I have had my whole life which is making this situation so much worse I really hope that this doesn't mean that my life will be ruined