Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Thoracic lesions and a cyst MRI kinda freaked out?

Hello, I am a 31 yr old female with back pain that at time radiates to the right side abdominal, and down leg. The pain is much worse at night while trying to lie down..When I move my neck/head downward I get horrible pain in the middle of back, when this happens my abdominal and chest (right side) tense up like a spasm. This is my MRI results. My GP did not explain much of this and is sending me to a neurosurgeon. My question is can you help me intemperate the results and tell my why he is sending me to a neurosurgeon. My appt with surgeon is not for several weeks and I would appreciate any info thanks!

Vertebral body: normal height with no evidence of compression fracture. Within the posterior aspect of the T8 vertebral body. There is a focal lesion of increased T2 and decreased T1 signal which shows homogeneous enhancement following contrast. The lesion measures 15 x 8 mm. Tiny extensions of the lesion extending toward the pedicles, and there is slight flattening of the posterior cortex with thin enhancement of the overlying epidural space. No lesion was seen on prior CT.

There is a begin hemangioma in the T9 vertebral body. Degenerative endplate changes are noted T6 through T12

Intervertebral disc: There is a small right paracentral protrusion at the T7-T8 resulting mild effacement of the right aspect of the thecal sac. No significant foramina narrowing. Probable perineural cyst on the right T11-T12 which contacts the exiting nerve root at this level.

Impression:
1. Nonspecific T8 vertebral body lesion as described above. This may represent an atypical hemangioma, thought other neoplasms cannot excluded. Dedicated nuclear bone scan is recommended.

2.finding compatible with typical begin hemangioma in the T9

3. Small disc protrusion at the T7-T8 with no significant central canal or foramina narrowing

4. Perinural cyst in the right T11-T12 neural foramen as above.
Sallydj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help a little:

First there is a benign hemangioma in the T9 vertebral body - this is a benign tumor of blood vessels that typcally occur as purplish/reddish elevated area os tissue.

There are Degenerative endplate changes noted T6-T12. The endplate is the axon of a motor neuron that contact with a muscl fiber.

Intervertebral disc: the small right paracentral disc herniation at T7-8 results in mild effacement (wiping out) of the right side of the thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and cauda equina. The thecal sacis filled with cerebral spinal fluid. There is a probably perineural cyst on the right T11-T12 which contacts the exiting nerve root. A perineural cyst is one that is "about or surrounding" the T11-T12.

I'm glad he's sending you to a neurosurgeon, but from what I can see I do not think this is a surgical event. I hope not anyway. If the Neurosurgeon DOES mention surgery, take your mri films and report to 2 OTHER Neurosurgeons for opinions! NEVER take one doctors opinion when it comes to surgery! This is a life changiing event! You are never the same after surgery! So make sure you get 2 MORE opinions after this one!!!

Also rremember that surgery is NOT for pain. Surgery is only for mechanical problems. Usually you're left with the same pain or worse after surgery.

Also there is the "Domino effect" after surgery. That is where the levels above/below the surgery site fail, because they had to take on more of the load. That leads to more surgery. And after you have that repaired, the levels above/below THAT surgery site fail, so that leads to more surgery, and so on and so on, etc. It's a vicious circle. The doctors don't tell us about that. It happened to me each time I had surgery, and I'm not disabled.

So like I said, make sure you get 2 OTHER opinions after you see the Neurosurgeon!! Exhausting ALL CONSERVATIVE METHODS FIRST IS THE BEST way to go! Never jump into surgery unless imminent paralyzation is the danger. If i'd known then what I know now, I'd never had any surgery.

So best of luck and let us know what the Neurosurgeon says, ok? God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for the reply! I definitely don't want any kind of surgery, especially on my back. But I have been in so much pain, I don't know what to do. Dr. Gave me a pain patch, neroton (sp?) and Percocet, which sometimes helps sometimes doesn't, but sure cant take that stuff before going into work! The T8 lesion is what has me a little concerned. Nervously awaiting my apt with the nerosurgen for answers. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Sallydj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Are you talking about the cyst on T11-T12? I wouldn't worry too much about that. But the Neurosurgeon can explain and talk to you about that.

When is your appointment with the doctor? I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say.

After your appointment, make sure you let us know, okay? God bless and take care! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallydj View Post
Thank you for the reply! I definitely don't want any kind of surgery, especially on my back. But I have been in so much pain, I don't know what to do. Dr. Gave me a pain patch, neroton (sp?) and Percocet, which sometimes helps sometimes doesn't, but sure cant take that stuff before going into work! The T8 lesion is what has me a little concerned. Nervously awaiting my apt with the nerosurgen for answers. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Hi,

I think you are on track. Your neurosurgeon can best correlate your clinical findings with your MRI and what to do about it. I am not so sure your T11-12 findings are benign given your abdominal pain. It depends upon what you mean by abdominal. Belly button or lower rib cage? In general, thoracic decompression is low on the totum pole of options as risks and complications are higher than for other levels. So conservative management will most certainly be exhausted before surgery is discussed.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote