Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default X-rays & Chiropractor

So, I started to go to a chiropractor the other day, I went back yesterday and they took more x-rays. The Dr. went over the x-rays and things weren't good. My spine is curving to the right, some vertebrae are twisting, and I have bone spurs on my hip. Ugh. She said there was nothing she could do about the curving, but she could try to align the vertebrae. She adjusted my mid and upper back, and my neck. Feels pretty good today. My hips are killing me though.

This morning was the first time in a long time, that I could actually bend over a bit to wash my hands and I didn't have any pain. (Our bathroom sink is a bit low). So that's good.

I go back tonight for another adjustment. Going to do 3 times a week for 3 weeks, then 2 times a week for 3 weeks, then taper off, so I can get to once a month.

I really hope this helps.
Moreta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Some PTs/bodyworkers can help with scoliosis, or possibly even a chiro that has more "hands on" or extended training.

There are many videos on youtube showing the PT scoliosis therapies.

Is the twisting vertebra part of the scoliosis - I think it is called rotational scoliosis?

Perhaps your chiro would be interested in looking at those videos so to help you better?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM #3
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain. I would like to commend you for taking steps to alleviate your pain and take care of your health. Chiropractic can really help with your problem.
First, assuming the doctor’s report on your x-rays is correct, your scoliosis is, in fact, a structural or true scoliosis which is an irreversible but manageable condition. Chiropractors can perform soft tissue techniques, which consist of basically massaging the muscles and fascia, to help relax your back muscles that are probably contributing to your pain. Your scoliosis can restrict some of your vertebra’s normal movement, and chiropractic adjustments will also help with maintaining a healthy amount of mobility in your spine. By keeping your muscles as relaxed as possible and your spinal joints moving in a healthy range, your pain in your back should eventually subside and may even resolve (2-4 weeks). If the pain doesn’t subside, it is time for your chiropractor to re-evaluate your condition just in case there is a different underlying condition causing your pain.
Second, based on the fact that there are “bone spurs” in one of your hip joints, this sounds like degenerative joint disease (DJD) of your hip. DJD is very common and occurs naturally as we age; it is essentially a product of us living our lives and using our joints. Also, DJD is managed well with chiropractic care, but it cannot be cured. As with your back, soft tissue techniques and chiropractic adjustments should help relax your hip muscles and keep your hip joint moving healthily. Your chiropractor can also educate you in ergonomics, so that you do not move your hip in ways that can exacerbate the pain or hurt your hip joint. As mentioned before, your pain and discomfort should subside after awhile (2-4 weeks), but if it doesn’t, your chiropractor should re-evaluate your hip.
Third, your chiropractor’s treatment plan (Going 3 times a week for 3 weeks, then 2 times a week for 3 weeks, then taper off to once a month) sounds reasonable, but he/she should re-evaluate every 6 weeks or so to make sure your pain and mobility are improving.
Best of luck. I hope this helps. ~Anne F.
AnneF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneF View Post
Hi,

I am very sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain. I would like to commend you for taking steps to alleviate your pain and take care of your health. Chiropractic can really help with your problem.
First, assuming the doctor’s report on your x-rays is correct, your scoliosis is, in fact, a structural or true scoliosis which is an irreversible but manageable condition. Chiropractors can perform soft tissue techniques, which consist of basically massaging the muscles and fascia, to help relax your back muscles that are probably contributing to your pain. Your scoliosis can restrict some of your vertebra’s normal movement, and chiropractic adjustments will also help with maintaining a healthy amount of mobility in your spine. By keeping your muscles as relaxed as possible and your spinal joints moving in a healthy range, your pain in your back should eventually subside and may even resolve (2-4 weeks). If the pain doesn’t subside, it is time for your chiropractor to re-evaluate your condition just in case there is a different underlying condition causing your pain.
Second, based on the fact that there are “bone spurs” in one of your hip joints, this sounds like degenerative joint disease (DJD) of your hip. DJD is very common and occurs naturally as we age; it is essentially a product of us living our lives and using our joints. Also, DJD is managed well with chiropractic care, but it cannot be cured. As with your back, soft tissue techniques and chiropractic adjustments should help relax your hip muscles and keep your hip joint moving healthily. Your chiropractor can also educate you in ergonomics, so that you do not move your hip in ways that can exacerbate the pain or hurt your hip joint. As mentioned before, your pain and discomfort should subside after awhile (2-4 weeks), but if it doesn’t, your chiropractor should re-evaluate your hip.
Third, your chiropractor’s treatment plan (Going 3 times a week for 3 weeks, then 2 times a week for 3 weeks, then taper off to once a month) sounds reasonable, but he/she should re-evaluate every 6 weeks or so to make sure your pain and mobility are improving.
Best of luck. I hope this helps. ~Anne F.
4 weeks of manipulation (chiropractic or osteopathic) is reasonable so long as you feel and see objective improvement; longer treatment protocol if progression is the trend! You need not worry about contraindications - a good chiropractor (especially one board-certified in orthopedics) knows up front if you are a good candidate or not. If not, it doesn't make manipulation bad....just wasn't the ticket for you...try another modality.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote