Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Symptoms PN or surgical?

Hi everyone,

I have been posting on the PN forum for a while now. I have had idiopathic sensory neuropathy for about 10 years, mild in nature, until this past December. My left leg started going crazy with burning pain, tenderness, then weakness of my foot. An EMG/NCS on my left leg in May showed axonal sensorimotor polyneuropathy. I have seen 2 neurologists about this issue, the last being at a large teaching hospital who did the testing.

I also had a lumbar MRI in March, ordered by my primary doctor at my request. Both neurologists barely looked at it.

The written report does show that I have degenerative changes from L3 to S1. L3 and L4 have tiny annular tears with disc bulge.

It is at L5-S1 where I have bilateral pars defects with grade 1 anterolisthesis (spondylosis/spondylithesis?) (found out grade 1 is the least.) I have an annular tear here too, along with a conjoined left L5-S1 nerve root. Mild effacement of the thecal sac at the origins of the bilateral S1 nerve roots, left greater than right. Mild bilateral Neural foraminal stenosis.

I have had lumbar back pain/spasms on and off since age 21. Honestly, the pain hasn't been an issue. I have pretty high pain tolerance and have never taken anything for it other than muscle relaxants and motrin when it flares. It is the neurological symptoms that seem to really throw me for a loop--numbness, burning, pins and needles, now weakness. I can't move my last 2 toes on my left foot. I have muscle wasting in that foot on the outside as well. Very tight hamstrings both sides, but left greater than right.

My husband convinced me to have a neurosurgeon look at my MRI. He is very well-respected in our community with a great reputation. He said he feels I would benefit from a PLIF at L5-S1. He was making no promises, but felt my left sided symptoms may well improve with the stabilization. I was very surprised to hear him say that, since my neurologists have said nothing about radiculopathy causing my neuro symptoms.

I did have 2 steroid injections this spring--one at L5-S1, that did nothing to relieve neuro symptoms in my foot, and one at the SI joint, which did relieve some chronic back tenderness I always have in my low back. I walk 1.5 miles about 4 times a week, stretch every day, had PT for awhile but nothing really helped long term.

Any ideas from you would be so helpful. I am stumped about where to go from here. I have an appointment with a 3rd neurologist in August to get his opinion.

Jen
PLIF L5-S1 Sept. 2013

Lumbar MRI March 2013: degenerative changes from L3 to S1. L3 and L4 have tiny annular tears with disc bulge. L5-S1 bilateral pars defects anterolisthesis (spondylosis/spondylithesis?) I have an annular tear here too, along with a conjoined left L5-S1 nerve root. Mild effacement of the thecal sac at the origins of the bilateral S1 nerve roots, left greater than right. Mild bilateral Neural foraminal stenosis.
jenng is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement