Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 09:51 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default throat issues after acdf

Hi,

I am 3 weeks post op for 2 level fusion. I was expecting a sore throat beforehand so I tried to prepare myself. the problem has been that my throat constantly feels like it has a lump in it and I can not eat foods that are tougher to chew without problems. i have also has quite a many sensation of gaging when just sitting and trying to swallow saliva. I dont have a sore thoriat interms of the soreness you would have with a typical sore throat just that it feels blocked. Doc said that is should go away but it seems to have gotten somewhat worse in the last week.

Any advise from those who went before me?

advertisement
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinga View Post
Hi,

I am 3 weeks post op for 2 level fusion. I was expecting a sore throat beforehand so I tried to prepare myself. the problem has been that my throat constantly feels like it has a lump in it and I can not eat foods that are tougher to chew without problems. i have also has quite a many sensation of gaging when just sitting and trying to swallow saliva. I dont have a sore thoriat interms of the soreness you would have with a typical sore throat just that it feels blocked. Doc said that is should go away but it seems to have gotten somewhat worse in the last week.

An MRI would show the relationship between the esophagus and the plate, where food might have a tough time squeaking by. Try flexing your head forward and turning it to the side just prior to swallowing...
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-06-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Jinga

Hi and welcome to Neuro Talk. Yes I know the feeling. That swallowing issue does indeed happen. I have had two cervical fusions from the front. Yes I had some real swallowing issues for six months or more. Always felt there was a lump. I lost alot of weight during that time too. This is normal, and it does go away. I think it took longer for me for the second fusion as more was done. Eat good soft foods and get creative in your diet. Keep me posted on how you do. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
16rhonda (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post re: acdf surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinga View Post
Hi,

Hi there,
the swallowing issue took about 3 wks to go away I only had 1 level c5/6 fused. It was scary, cause no one told me this could happen. If I tried to chew meat or fruit, it would come of the nurses back up on me, it would not go down. The nurses never asked about my swallowing. I was labeled as having anorexia on my record. I'm under wt & wanted to eat badly., the food looked so good! But couldn't! U think they would of ordered softer food for me. I didn't see a nurse come in for 8 hrs.
Bad exp. Never have surgery at Lowell General in mass.
my swallowing was! One
16rhonda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM #5
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
An MRI would show the relationship between the esophagus and the plate, where food might have a tough time squeaking by. Try flexing your head forward and turning it to the side just prior to swallowing...
good advise as i have trouble with swallowing
even my saliva sometimes the manipulation is
the only way i can move my head
if that doesn't work i move my body

someone who cares
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-07-2013), jinga (08-10-2013)