Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default CSM - Or Something Else???

I am 56-years old and about 10-years ago, after visiting my doctor with neck and lower back pain, I was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine - with degeneration and spurs both at the top of the cervical vertibrae and in the lumber region. I had a bit of physiotherapy and was prescribed painkillers and I have coped OK since.

A few months ago, I noticed that I was having minor problems typing, occasionally striking wrong keys on my computer keyboard and this has become worse since. I thought no more of it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that, every morning, my fingers/hands were numb, especially in the morning after waking. This morning, I had bad neck ache and was unable to get comfortable in bed. My hands were both very numb - the right worse than the left, but both hands affected and there was significant tingling in my fingers. Throughout today, both my arms have been aching and the numbness has not gone away.

I am a bit worried because, when she was in her late 50s, my mother was diagnosed with cervical spondylotic myelopathy and this, in combination with severe arthritis, eventually made her virtually paraplegic, completely incontinent and unable to dress or even feed herself. She died three years ago, at the age of 86, extremely disabled and feeble. At no time was she offered surgery - her spinal column was said to be extremely narrow and that was congenital.

My wife says i should see my doctor but I really don't like bothering him unless it is something serious. Any information, suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Bisones
Bisonex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Responded in General Health forum.... http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread192156.html

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonex View Post
I am 56-years old and about 10-years ago, after visiting my doctor with neck and lower back pain, I was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine - with degeneration and spurs both at the top of the cervical vertibrae and in the lumber region. I had a bit of physiotherapy and was prescribed painkillers and I have coped OK since.

A few months ago, I noticed that I was having minor problems typing, occasionally striking wrong keys on my computer keyboard and this has become worse since. I thought no more of it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that, every morning, my fingers/hands were numb, especially in the morning after waking. This morning, I had bad neck ache and was unable to get comfortable in bed. My hands were both very numb - the right worse than the left, but both hands affected and there was significant tingling in my fingers. Throughout today, both my arms have been aching and the numbness has not gone away.

I am a bit worried because, when she was in her late 50s, my mother was diagnosed with cervical spondylotic myelopathy and this, in combination with severe arthritis, eventually made her virtually paraplegic, completely incontinent and unable to dress or even feed herself. She died three years ago, at the age of 86, extremely disabled and feeble. At no time was she offered surgery - her spinal column was said to be extremely narrow and that was congenital.

My wife says i should see my doctor but I really don't like bothering him unless it is something serious. Any information, suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Bisones
If this concerns you enough, go see a neurologist!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote