Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM #1
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Question Just had my MRI..Help Please xx

Hello Everyone

I have just joined this forum hoping that someone may be able to help me or send a bit of advice my way please.
Im 32 and for 6 years i have been struggling like crazy with symptoms like neck and thoratic spine,numbness in fingers and toes,headached,chestpain ect.
I had an xray a few years back that diagnosed me with Scheurmanns Disease and a Buldging disc in my neck which i was offered surgery for back then but didnt take the offer up as i was frightened and had 2 young children to take care of.
Things have got quite bad over the past 2 years which is why i payed for a private MRI scan on my neck and thoractic spine 3 months ago.

Here are a list of my MRI results below
1.Chronic endplate changes to the Thoracic region from T6-T9 consistent with old Scheurmanns disease.There is a slight depression of the superior enplate at T7,both endplates at T8 and lesser extent at T9.There is minor Kyphosis but no scoliosis.
2.The T7-T8 disc is degenerate with mino annular buldge and Minor change elsewhere but central and exit foramina are of good calibre.
3.There are chronic degenerative changes at C4-C5 with reduction of disc space height and normal hydration,also prominent neurocentral joint degenerative changes.There is Canal Stenosis with mild cord flattening and moderate bilateral osteophytic stenosis.There are right sided reactive marrow endplate changes.
4.Loss of normal lordosis but no significant alignment abnormality.Low signal involving odontoid peg but the the cortex is preserved.Thickening of the cruiate ligament complex.No evidence of active pathology and Normal atlantoaxial alignment.
Normal Marrow Signal and No Intrinsic cord lesion.

Conclusion
1.There is evidence of old Scheurmanns disease in the thoracic region with minor changes of degenerative disc disease but no active pathology.
2.Chronic degenerative change at C4-5 with mild cord flattening and moderate bilateral osteophytic foraminal stenosis.Chronic changes around the Odontoid peg.

Sorry for the full report as i dont really understand my results.
I was sent to a neurosurgeon last week who didnt seem interested and didnt even look at or discuss my mri results or disc.He just told me i didnt need surgery and to basically shut the door behind me on my way out.CAN I ADD THIS WAS THE SAME NEUROSURGEON WHO OFFERED ME SURGERY ON MY NECK A FEW YEARS BACK AS A PRIVATE PATIENT LOL !!

Should i be worried about any of my results or should i just carry on suffering with all these symtoms ?
Any advice would be fantastic please..thankyou xx
subarusti is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-10-2013)

advertisement
Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think I would take the report & copy of the MRI images and get another opinion or 2..

Have you had any PT sessions to see if it can help with pain & symptom relief?
Perhaps a TENS, or some other type of e stim?
Or some low level laser therapy also called cold laser or soft laser.
Maybe some gentle traction?
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 PM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi subarusti

I would let that doctor get hit with the door on his own butt! I agree with Jo Mar, you need to get another evaluation. My concern are the two verterbre that say Chronic degenerative issues. One of them is impinging on the spinal cord. That is where You have the most issues. I will have to look up the name of the condition you also have in the report. I haven't had much experience with that.
Any time a MRI says "severe" or "Chronic changes" it would be best to seek the very best neurologist you can. Some like your former doc. who didn't even look at your MRI, are not worth the money, time or effort to see them. You have pain issues, and if there is hope of resolving some of it, I would seek that. Do not do chiropractic adjustments without a neurologist giving the OK. Research your next physician. I did this and got the A student with the finest reputation on our coast. I had a good result with surgery. I do wish you all the best. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:10 PM #4
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi again subarusti

I just read a lot about Scheurmanns disease. Was there any attempt to correct it in your youth? Was any mention of this given by any doctor?
There has been good success with surgery for it, according to the article, however it is an extensive surgery just for that condition let alone a spinal fusion for a vertebra. You really do need the neurologist that cares in your corner. Not some who brushes you aside. If you need good references, contact the AMA, or your primary PCP if he is actively involved with you. Also if you post near where you live, someone on NT may be able to tell you of a good neurologist who will listen and offer the best hope for less pain. I wish you all the best. You are young, and I would if it were me find out all that can or should be done. ginnie
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM #5
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member

Hi Everyone

Thankyou so much for your comments and replys.
As a child my Scheurmanns Disease didnt seem to bother and in all honesty i never knew i had it until i was 25 years old.As a child i always had a slight curved spine and my left side ribcage and shoulder blade always use to stick out slightly..now i have permanent scapula winging and my left rib cage protrudes about an inch over the right side.
I have been told that they probably would not operate on my Scheurmanns Disease at 32 as it would be far to dangerous.
As for the C4-5 disc problem im so worried about the mild cord flattening as it sounds scary and i honestly thought the neurosurgeon would operate on it but he didnt seem a bit interested in all honesty.
Im going to pay private to get a second opinion for sure.
As for other treatments,i saw an Osteopath and he made my neck symptoms awful hence why i never went again.They sent me for physio and the physio didnt lay one finger on me so that was no use either.
At the moment rest and painkillers are the only 2 things that are helping.

Thanks again x
Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM #6
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Angry

Hi Again

Forgot to mention that the NeuroSurgeon that i saw was 2 hours late for my appointment without an apology.Also i was meant to have a 30 minute appointment and i was in with him for 8 minutes.We never chatted about my mri results and he kept me in the examination room the whole time,i never even got to go into his office....Surely this is terrible practise ? x
Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 PM #7
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Bad Practice

Very bad practice indeed. Let him be on the receiving end of something serious, his tude will change. sorry that happened to you.ginnie