Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused depressed and confused about mri's

HI this may be a slightly lenghty post and i apologize,
I had MRI done on cervical neck on the 31'st of july and thorasic and lumbar in march of 2012, just recently had update MRi on my thorasic spine. anyway here is the info, just wondering if i could get help understanding in laymans terms. Cervical MRI done July 31 2013-
HI I just got my MRI back and it has me worried, i dont want more surgery as i am already in treatment for metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma.

here is the findings of my mri:

the disks are diffusely dessicated with associated loss of height which is most pronounced at the levels of c4-C5 through C6-C7 a moderate to large dregree of nonspecific edema is seen involving the vertebral bodies and endplates at th level of C5-C6. This is seen to a lesser extent at the level of C4-C5. Small to moderate sized osteophytes are seen most prounounced at C4-C5. There is probabable mild anterior wedging at the levels of C4-T1. MIld Bulge and anteriosthesis is sen at the level of T1-T2. No definate signal abnormalities are seen within the cord serial axial images were obtained from the level of C1-S1.

C1-C2- There is no evidence of significant central stenosis
C2-C3 - There is no evidence of focal disk herniation, central stenosis or neural foramina narowing

C3-C4 - MIld Disk osteophyte complex is seen. MIld BUlge is present. There is mild effacement of the thecal sac anteriorly. probabable mild central stenosis is seen. The midline AP diameter of the thecal sac is approximately 1cm. probable moderate neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the right. No definate neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the left.

C4-C5 - Disk Osteophyte complex is seen. Broad based disc bulge is seen. There is probable mild flattening of the cord. The AP midline diameter of the thecal sac measures approximatly 8 mm. Probable mild to moderate central stenosis is seen. Probable severe neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the right. Probable moderate to severe neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the left. Probable mild to moderate hypertrophic changes are seen involving the unconvertabral joints. MIld retrolethesis is seen.

C5-C6 -Disk osteophyte complex is seen at this level. broad based Bulge is seen. There is flattening of the cord. probable moderate central stenosis is seen. Midline AP diameter of thr thecal sac measures approximatly 6 mm. Probable severe neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the left. Probable moderate to severe neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the right. Probable mild to moderate hypertrophic changes are seen involving the unconvertabral joints. MIld retrolethesis is seen.

C6-C7 Disk Osteophyte complex is seen at this level. Broad based disc bulge is present. probable flattening of the cord is seen. Probable mild to moderate central stenosis is seen. he midline AP diameter of the thecal sac is approximatly 8 mm. Probable moderate neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the right. Probable moderate to severe neural foraminal narrowing is seen on th left. MIld to moderate hypertrophic changes are seen involving the uncovertabral joints.

C7-T1 - MIld bulge is seen at this level. MIld antereolisthesis is seen. Probable mild neural foraminal narrowing is sen on the left. No definate neural foraminal narrowing is seen on the right.

Impression:
1 Multilevel disk disease as described above most prominant at the levels of C4-C5 through C6-C7. There is multilevel mild to moderate Central stenosis And moderate to severe neural foraminal narowing as described above.

2. Moderate to large drgree of nonspecific edema seen on the stir sequence involving the vertabral bodies and endplates at the level of C5-C6, and to lesser extent C4-C5. There is no evidence of corresponding edema within the intervening disks. The sequela of aggressive degenerative changes is favored given the constellation of findings. Consider followup study,

and the thorasic and lumbar from last year ( i dont have the results of the recent thorasic w/ contrast done on the 16th of this month yet)

Thoracic Spine:
The tip of the conus medullaris is at approximately L1. The images reveal normal alignment of the thoracic vertebra. Mild chronic wedging of the superior endplate of T11. Height of the remaining vertebra is normal. Bone marrow signal is normal. Multilevel disc space narrowing and disc desiccation. There is no abnormal signal with the thoracic spinal cord. No definite significant spinal canal or foraminal stenosis is noted. Axial images demonstrate a left paracentral disc protrusion at T6/T7.. A larger left paracentral disc protrusion demonstrated at T7/T8. Right paracentral disc protrusion at T8/T9 indenting the ventral thecal sac. Bilateral paracentral disc protrusions at T9/T10.

The visualized paraspinous tissues anteriorly are unremarkable.
Impression:
1. No evidence of significant spinal canal or foraminal stenosis. Mild multilevel degenerative disc disease in the mid and lower thoracic spine.
2. No evidence of abnormal signal within the thoracic spinal cord.
3. Old compression deformity of the superior endplate of T11 with mild wedging of the vertebrae. No significant loss of height.

There are 5 lumbar-type vertebrae, and this convention is used for the purposes of this dictation. Scoliosis of the lumbar spine convex to the left. The tip of the conus medullaris is at approximately the level of L1. The lumbar vertebrae appear normally aligned. There is mild to moderate disc space narrowing and disc desiccation at L4/L5, L3/L4 and L5/S1.. Within the lumbar vertebral bodies, the bone marrow signal appears normal. The height of the vertebrae is normal.
The findings on a level by level basis are as follows:

L2-3: No focal abnormality is seen.

L3-4: Mild broad-based bulge. Mild bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Mild bilateral neuroforamina narrowing. Central canal is normal..

L4-5: Broad-based bulge asymmetric to the right. Significant bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Mild to moderate right neuroforamina narrowing. Mild left neuroforamina narrowing. Borderline central canal. Stenosis of the right lateral recess..

L5-S1: . Based bulge asymmetric to the right. Mild right neuroforamina narrowing. Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy..

The paraspinous tissues anteriorly are unremarkable.

IMpression:

Impression: Mild scoliosis of the lumbar spine convex to the left. Mild to moderate multilevel degenerative disc disease as described above. Findings are most significant at L4-L5.

I had recently applied for disabilioty because of the intense pain and burniung, clumsiness and numbness this causes. only to be told at the CE that it appears i have been opiate shopping . ( i wish he could live in my condition for 30 days).

Anyway, any help or input would be greatly appreciated
phianthus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I had recently applied for disabilioty because of the intense pain and burniung, clumsiness and numbness this causes. only to be told at the CE that it appears i have been opiate shopping . ( i wish he could live in my condition for 30 days).
Responding to your quote listed above. And you would have been told that you must not have pain if you are NOT taking pain meds. The irony. Drug shopping if you take meds for pain or not really in pain if not taking pain meds. NO win.

Yes, it would really be great if we could just transfer our pain to those that judge us and let them FEEL what we feel.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What is the CE? You stated that you tried for disability only to be told at the CE that you were opiate shopping?

Please do not give up on disability. I tried three times for disability by myself, without a lawyer, and even though I have arachnoiditis and have had 9 major spinal surgeries etc I did not get disability until I hired a lawyer to represent me.

I did not have to pay the lawyer anything - the money is taken out of the disability settlement. Lawyers only take disability cases they know they can win.

So, please find a lawyer and try again and again if necessary.

What type of work have you been doing before you could no longer work?

Hang in there and do not give up!
thinkitdoit7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote