Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Who said cinny bun?

Hi all, I dont know about you other toser's but on the long list of pains, irritations ,vascular issues, nerve problems ect. ect .ect . there is one thing I tought would never happen to me and that is get [PLUMP}, for lack of a kinder word. I'm 43 years old and up until about 2 years ago, right about when i became disabled,I weighed about 170 lbs. I since have shot up to 240lbs. The first 41 years of my life a dozen donuts would go stale before I would eat even one. OOOH, but now I have my girlfreind pull them out of the bag in the grocery store parking lot, feeling almost certian that I could not possibly ride a whole 3 minutes home without sampling atleast one each of the 3 or 4 different kinds in the box. My craving for sweet foods crept up on me without warning. I find myself not wanting to eat anything that doesn't contain at least 25 lbs. of sugar. Has anyone out there gone through this change. It is depressing to have all the other problems that come with TOS,and neck fusion, and one lung that don't work,now to top it all off [I AM FAAAT]. Sorry to those who would rather hear [overweight,] I've also been diagnosed with depression, imagine that, so I'm trying to face my problems head on.... Hey jo, tell me it's normal and happens to alot of us but we get skinny agian someday. Bigpede
bigpede is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth

Yes Big Pede. It's called Menopause.

which can happen to men too! I hear it gets better on the other side. As we get into our middle-age we need less calories but we crave sweets... so the weight goes up. Add to that TOS and the inability to exercise as we once did...

...and you get 'plump'! AARRGGHH!

Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default craving sweets on Pamelor

Bigpede,

You mention you suffer from depression (which is typical for people with chronic pain) The chronic pain depletes the serotonin in the brain (happy hormones) and we get depressed . Most people with tos need an antidepressant (Ernestina Saxton M.D.)
The antidepressants replace the serotonin ( from the way I understand it)
Many of the antidepressants and anticonvulsants used to treat chronic pain can cause you to crave sweets. I was on Pamelor at first and boy did I crave the sweets.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:06 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow I didnt know that was possible for men to go through menopause. I feel sorry for what you ladies have been going through. I guess I'll have a even better appreciation for the inner strength of women.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ocgirl, I take both effexor and welbutrin for depression. I had been chalking the depression up to my physical condition.I also take an enbrel injection once a week and gabapentin and cyclobenziprine and tramadol and diclofenec 3 times a day. No wonder I'm depressed and [PLUMP]. Thanks for your insight. This site is very informative. Bigpede
Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I know my metabolism slowed way down in my mid 40's {51 now},
that was about the same time I started getting RSIs and shoulder/neck strains, had stress from that situation and trying to keep working at the time- plus work comp {cortisol/bellyfat??}, plus being skinny all my life I never had to watch calories, and I am a pretty good cook so that is even harder to avoid my own good cooking!

If food isn't that great I can avoid it but if very tasty - yummmm!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:35 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpede View Post
ocgirl, I take both effexor and welbutrin for depression. I had been chalking the depression up to my physical condition.I also take an enbrel injection once a week and gabapentin and cyclobenziprine and tramadol and diclofenec 3 times a day. No wonder I'm depressed and [PLUMP]. Thanks for your insight. This site is very informative. Bigpede

Gabapentin is the generic form of Neurontin and it's known for causing weight gain....And alot of antidepressants do too- I'm on Elavil and was on Neurontin for several years too and both are known for causing that. Long story short, I gained about 35 lbs. after I was put on them (seemed like overnight). I CRAVE sweets something terrible and just have to not keep it in the house. And, I went off of Neurontin several months ago and haven't lost one ounce....
redjpwranglergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Sugar high

Pete,
Some years ago I went through the sugar high, needed the sugar rush to through a day. I could eat my share of donuts, cereal, cotton candy, ....
I would have your sugar checked, if that is OK, it maybe just the good feeling of the sugar rush that is satisfying for you.

BUT HECK I was a cop so the donuts went hand in hand, LOL.
Hello and welcome to the forum family
Di

Pocono area, PA

Last edited by DiMarie; 05-11-2007 at 09:26 PM.
DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:09 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi

I have polyneuropathys and your making me hungry. I just lost 90 lbs.
and honest i just heard on the news. Can you be Skinny and still be
Fat (yes they said Fat) on the inside!!I'm going to have bad dreams
about this one. Sue
shiney sue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hehe...I think those vitual cinny buns got everyone all suagred up

OC girl is so right that pain causes the serotonin levels in us to drop which casuses more stress and pain

I have had some interesting deveopments of late that are kind of related to this thread.

So along with my TOS I also have Hashimotos thyroiditis. So they did some blood tests and sure enough my serotonin is low.

MY sugar is fine but my insulin is high making me insulin resistant. Cholesterol very high but could be from thryoid. That nasty but wonderful Lyrica combined with all the steroids make me gain a lot of weight.

So 6 weeks ago I went on super diet and lost 9 lbs to date. Went cold turkey on sugar (except virtual cinny buns). Apple slcies are now my best friend. And now I dont miss sugar and glad I made the break. I may even have to change my avatar from cupcakes my fave food group.

But most interesting thing is bllod tests this week showed low sex hormones, ha lower than menopause. Figure that.

Also showing adrenal fatigue.

So how is this related to TOS....well the weight gain, pain and stress anyway. Doc explained that our hormones are like a 3 leg stool. Adrenal, Sex and thryoid hormones all have to be balanced to work in concert. If one is off then all can get off and make problems like weight gain, pain stress, mood even more off.

So I am going to see if I can rebalanace them again and get to a more healthy state.

Fascinating stuff.

By now I think I have the M and all I need is the D for my MD degree

So it might pay to have your s all checked if you can. So far the treatment has made some differnce. Doc gave me special adrenal vitamins and I have to say that the sublingual B12 makes a big differnce in the nerve pain for me.

OK enough back to eating virtual cinny bun
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote