Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM #1
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Poll Surgery Tips- pre op and post op

I thought we had a thread with tips somewhere but I searched for it and didn't find it. So I thought I title this one so it will be easily search able and I'll also place the link in our useful sticky thread.

Those of you that have had surgeries will be the best resource for the suggestions on how to get prepared ahead of time and the best helps for after surgery and the recovery period.

I remember a few things that are mentioned often.

Recliner
Lots of pillows
Easy snacks and some prepared easy meals
Easy to put on clothes {special bra or tank top}
TV tray or table near recliner for items

advertisement
Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default tips for surgery, travel, etc.

1. be sure you have a handicapped placard and take it with you ( spares the arms driving around and around looking for parking spaces, less walking while pushing a heavy grocery cart, etc.

2. be sure to preboard onto the plane with the families with small children, the elderly and disabled ( it saves having to rush while the herd boards) It also give you time to grab a pillow and blanket and advise the stewards that you may need help if there is any problems.

3. be sure to keep all of your medications with you when you board the plane. Then there is less chance of being stuck without your meds if your baggage is lost.

4. I keep a small lockbox for my pain meds.

5. I'm always uptight about losing my pain meds while traveling, so I put my pain meds in one of those things that go around your waist, that you can put your airline tickets, passport etc. The one I have has is a couple of small zip pockets that I put my pain med bottles in. It like a really flat fanny back.

6. take a notebook with paper and pen (I needed this to keep track of my new medications and when to take them). There are lots of written instructions from physical therapy, the surgeon, etc. It is nice to have one place to put them so they don't get lost. When you are recovering from the surgery it is easy to made a medication mistake so when you take a med you cross it off.

7. take a heating pad is that is something you use, and an ice pack that you can refill with ice

8. What I would do differently would be to take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. If you are bad enough to be having surgery you probably shouldn't drive the 30 minute drive from the Denver airport to your hotel. ( if you are going to Denver)
You can take cabs or I found a great service that had towne cars come to take you to the surgicenter or where ever. I used this service when I was alone in Denver for a nerve block and needed someone to drive me back to the hotel. It was a limo service but had towne cars that were about the same fee as cabs and really nice. I got the recommendation from the shuttle driver.Your hotel may also have that service. I think the rental car agencies will deliver their rental cars to your hotel.
These are just a few thoughts, I'll think of more.

Martha
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default more info

http://www.vascularinstitute.com/Patients_Visitor.htm
Old 05-19-2007, 12:57 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I haven't had surgery, but I came across a folder of posts that I had printed out from the old forum. Here are some of the other suggestions that people made:

1. Request a copy of your surgery report.
2. Be sure your doctor provides you with a phone number at which you can reach someone from his office 24/7 in case you have a pain problem or something else you can’t resolve with the hospital staff.
3. Designate a friend or relative to ask questions or complain so that you don’t get a reputation for being a “problem patient.”
4. Shave your legs the night before surgery because you won't feel like doing it for a while.
5. If you will be using a pain pump(?) arrange for it to be programmed to deliver a baseline amount of pain medication while you are asleep and unable to press the button yourself.

More pillow suggestions:

1. Bring your own pillow if you're sensitive to pillows.
2. Bring a squishy, lightweight pillow to stuff in your armpit to relieve pressure near the incision site.

Helpful items: earplugs; Purell (or other alcohol-based hand sanitizer); Polartec or polyester throw blankets for cold drafty hospital rooms; books on tape; CD players with earphones; socks; slippers for walking in the hall; Chapstick; Hypnosis CDs for relaxation/pain control; your own pajamas or pajama bottoms; several changes of underwear; hair clips, hair ties (etc.); a mirror; a phone card and a list of phone numbers you might want to call since you won't be able to turn on your cell phone.
Stardust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default save some $ on hotel room

Many hotels will give you a discount if you tell them that you have traveled to get medical treatment.

Remember your AAA card (or Auto Club of Souther CA for example) for discounts at restaurants, etc.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
5. If you will be using a pain pump(?) arrange for it to be programmed to deliver a baseline amount of pain medication while you are asleep and unable to press the button yourself.

2. Bring a squishy, lightweight pillow to stuff in your armpit to relieve pressure near the incision site.

oooh, wouldn't have come up with those two on my own...good call!

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

im 38 and am having a rib resection on fri. i had a blood clot in jan and it came about becouse of tos. reading on the internet kinda, well it does scare me!
katherineb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:53 PM #8
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi katherineb,

your surgery is next Friday?
don't be scared, knowledge is power right

There are just things that some have been thru already and others can learn from that.
Like-
speaking up for adequate pain relief if needed
preparing for surgery and post op recovery tips
what is normal for recovery {pain or whatever} and what is not
things to be cautious of - re injury, falls, car wrecks, just plain over doing too soon
bad PT vs good TOS PT

Just remember that the majority of most surgeries go with out a hitch.
If your surgeon is experienced and skilled at what he is doing and you feel confidant of that you should be just fine.

If you have any questions about anything just ask.

I'll copy this post of yours and make it a new thread for more replies and Hellos.

here is the new thread link- http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=20014

below is from-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Ann Vasc Surg. 2004 Sep;18(5):558-65. Epub 2004 Aug 6.

Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery: long-term functional results.
Degeorges R, Reynaud C, Becquemin JP.
Department of Vascular Surgery, Henri Mondor Hospital, Creteil, France.

[This retrospective study was carried out to assess clinical outcome 2 years after TOS surgery and to determine predictive factors of outcome. Between 1979 and 1999, 155 patients underwent TOS surgery. Of these patients, 140 (90.3%) had a minimum follow-up of 2 years. Thirty-six (25.7%) patients underwent bilateral procedures. A total of 176 procedures were reviewed and served as a basis for study. Presenting symptoms were neurologic in 15 cases (8.5%),
arm or hand ischemia occurred in 38 cases (21.6%),
and venous compression or thrombosis in 27 cases (15.4%).
In 96 cases (54.5%), symptoms were mixed. A transaxillary approach (107 cases) was chosen to address venous symptoms and minor arterial dysfunction.
A supraclavicular approach (69 cases) was used when there were large abnormal bony structures, neurologic symptoms, and/or severe limb ischemia.
The first rib was resected either extensively from its neck to the sternal attachment (54 cases) or partially, including the mid-rib and neck or the mid-rib and sternal attachment (121 cases), depending on symptoms, approach, and surgeon's choice. Whenever present, cervical ribs, anterior scalenus muscle, and various fibrous or muscular compressive structures were also removed.]

Functional results were
excellent = 87 (49.4%)
good = 61 (34.6%)
fair = 14 (8%)
poor = 14 (8%) procedures respectively.