advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Gluten in Dairy

If gluten can pass through the mother's breast milk to the infant and pesticides and growth hormones can pass through cows milk to the human, could gluten in the cows grain diet pass through the milk to the human?

If you are gluten intolerant and have eliminated it, but you enjoy a substantial amount of "dairy" could you experience an ongoing hit of gluten through your dairy consumption without even knowing it? Would it process differently in your body- yet still presenting as a neurological symptom?

AND,... Is it possible that dairy products from grass fed cows would have a different effect on people? Could grass-feed vs grain feed have any bearing on the affects of casein- or better yet, on the chemical make-up of casein?

I'm wondering if grass fed dairy cows produce a different chemical makeup of milk, one that is tolerated by the neurologically-affected, seemingly, dairy-intolerant person.

On the flip side for years I drank and ate milk products that had probiotics in them. I had no known ill effect from dairy. Apart from cottage cheese (with pro-biotics), the standard cheeses I ate (meunster, monterey jack and lorraine swiss) did not have the probiotics in them, but I ate very little of these cheeses and none of any other cheeses,... until 4 weeks ago when some incredibly-delicious, new-to-me, brand of muenster cheese jumped into my grocery cart. We've been chowing that down and buying it like there was no tomorrow. Pig-city on my part, I will admit. Then whammy- dairy intolerant- or dairy intolerant that I was finally aware of.

I'll reach for anything that will permit dairy back into my diet. I miss my bowl of cottage cheese for breakfast that I have had every morning for more than 20 years. Withdrawl is the pits.

Leslie

"Many Arrows, None Sharp"
Swuzly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Swuzly,

I highly recommend you read through this web site, especially "Food Intolerance in Animals and Man" and "Lectins"

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/index.html

Its a long read but it ties it all together, I have eliminated the "big 4" as well as fruit from my diet and I can directly experience the results, but that's just me, you'll have to see whats works for you.
bob26 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Bob,

I read the article. I am gfree as of nearly 8 months, corn for about 3 and soy free for about 2 months. As of last week, dairy is off the table. His article convinces me dairy should remain out of my diet. nightshades are also out of my diet so for now, I'll keep the fruits- at least the ones that don't give me a belly ache.

Leslie
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Swuzly, I absolutely think there's merit to your argument. Have you read Electra's posts about her baby reacting to gluten in her breastmilk? Proof enough for me. Of course, my theory on dairy is probably considered "radical" ... are mammals intended to drink milk after they have weaned from their mother? And more importantly, are mammals intended to drink milk from another species? I've been dairy-free for 7.5 years. This is no great accomplishment for me because I didn't like milk even as a child, and I forced myself to "like" cheese as a teen so I could eat pizza with my friends. LOL! Now wheat, sigh, is another story entirely!
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI Jamie,

If there is one thing I have alwsy loved it was milk. I drank 1 quart of skimmed milk every day through my teen years. I never had a zit till I was in my late 20's and dairy was no longer a qt a day thing. For those who think dairy causes acne, I'd have to disagree, though I guess for some I can accept that it does.

For the past 20 years I have had a cup of cottage cheese every morning for breakfast and this feels like the greatest loss now being dairy free. I could let eveything else go, but I love cottage cheese. Admittedly the cottage cheese I have been eating all that time is Cabot brand from Vermont, and they add probiotics to their cheese. So i posed my question to Dr. H. of England and Dr. J. of the US- I think. I have heard back from Dr. J. and have posted his response in a new topic line- Response from Dr. J.

He tells us some interesting things.

Leslie
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Enterolab sent me an email response today:

"We do know that the gluten protein is not passed through to the cow's milk. The gluten is broken down during the digestive process to the point that is passed on as waste. We do not know if grain vs grass could have an affect on the chemical make up of the casein protein. As far as we know there have been no studies on this particular subject. Thank you, Kathy Carreon EnteroLab Customer Service"
Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, one thing cows have we don't is 3 additional stomachs. Do goats too?

However I do know that grains really mess up their digestion. That's why they have to give feedlot cows all those antibiotics, they'd die of digestive infections otherwise.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

goats also have 2 stomach same as a cow

this link shows the digestive sytem of a ruminant http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...umen_anat.html

as to feeding too much grain it is quite simple with a goat too much grain kills them ........ and they cant take much in the way of antibiotics or other interventions ....... this is partly why in western societies goat dairies have never been popular ........ goats virtually have to be kept in the old natural way or they just dont produce and mortality is high

the goat has the last laugh on 'modern' facory farming and unatural methods ! but even so goat milk is still drunk by more of the worlds population than is cows milk .......

but back to grain ....... a goat does need some grain to produce milk but it must be balanced with roughage ....... in the wild they seek out seeds and flowers but alo balance this with leaves, bark and even a bit of woody stems ......... a goats rumen is like compost tumbler it must be balanced !!!

I disagree with Enterolab - just because they are experts on human digestion doesnt mean they understand ruminants !!! I am sure what the ruminant eats and breathes in does come through in the milk and lots of old goat keepers have stories that prove it - like the lady who told me how after putting creosote on her fence posts her goat's milk tasted of creosote for months

koz
kozz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't remember if I posted this or not but I thought it was interesting. Goats milk has 0-2% casein in the milk, cows milk has 80-85%. This is probably why some people hyper sensitive to casein have a reaction.

I had some goat yogurt today and it was not bad. It reminded me of how dairy yogurt used to taste back in 1970 when I had my first cup of it,... long before it was loaded with sugar and corn syrup and modified foods.

Does anyone know anything about sheeps milk? Is it comparable to goats? I also bought a sheeps milk yogurt. I haven't tried it yet. Who knows,.. maybe it puts hair on your teeth.

Leslie

Last edited by Swuzly; 05-22-2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: letters missing