advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Visitor from the Peripheral Neuropathy board.

Hi all,
I'm popping over from the Peripheral Neuropathy board. I've been reading some of your posts here. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning due to chronic diahrreah (sp?) stomache cramping, and inability to control my bowels.
It was suggested to me by one of the members on this site that I may have Celiacs Disease. I gave it some thought and then got caught up in other "life" issues and let it get away from me.
However, last night, had a Tostada from a Mexican restaurant, Corn Tortilla, Pork (I never eat pork) and some avocado sauce over it. By the time I went to bed, I had lost control of my intestines. It is getting worse and worse. My neuropathy gets more painful each time I eat something that doesn't settle well with me. Having trouble walking today and at work I am the farthest cube from the bathroom! It's not a good day at all!

Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't even know what "Gluten" was.. I had never heard of it! I suppose this week I will be doing a lot of research on it and how it affects the nervous system and the intestines! I have been affected with Peripheral Neuropathy for almost four years now and it was brought on by my mothers sudden death.

I just wanted to introduce myself and I will be checking into your stickies and reading many of your posts. I hope to get to know many of you and absorb a lot of your knowledge and wisdom throughout my search for a cure for my intestinal problems and my Peripheral Neuropathy cause.

Thanks, and nice to meet you!
Terri
SeamsLikeStitches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Terri,
You know I frequent the PN board too, and I have celiac disease. I do believe that my PN was brought on my malabsorption because of celiac disease. There is a connection of one to the other. Some studies try to make it seem like they do not go hand in hand, but often they do.

Research is how we learn nearly everything. If you have any guestions, feel free to email me. I can try to answer them.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome!

There is a lot of good information here.

You may find out that you are reacting to a lot more than just gluten... which is why I always suggest a complete elimination diet... so you can get rid of all your big offenders within two weeks and know that diet is a factor.

People with chronic d for a long time may or may not get rid of that in two weeks... but they often notice that they lose brain fog and fatigue. That (and generally other symptom losses that they didn't even know they had) is generally enough to keep them going on their own personalized diet plan until they heal enough to get rid of the d too.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Terri,

I think you will find relief on a gluten free diet. I did. I've been gf nearly 8 months now and have had much recovery since then. Along the way, I also discovered there were a few other offenders for me, corn, soy and now dairy. The dairy has had the most significant change in the neurologial issues for me after the gluten.

We're glad you popped over though. I think you'll find that a gluten free diet does wonders.

Welcome Aboard,
Cheers!

Leslie
Swuzly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote