Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Circulation issues

HI guys,

I am having some problems with inflammed blood vessels and circulation. And tonight a thought popped into my head. I don't have a lot of the numbness or tingling problems associated with TOS and mine has been more proximal than distal meaning above the scalene triangle and I thought was addressed in the surgery with Filler.

But lately my hands and feet are getting so cold that they feel there is no blood left.

So if you have a moment can you guys tell me whether you have any circulation issues what it feels like and how you deal with it.

I am just trying to run down every angle.

THanks
Shelley
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-27-2007, 11:52 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I wish i lived closer - we have a automotive laser temperature gun - I used to test my arms and neck and shoulders for temp discrepancies.

Anyway I think some drs/ chiros have a thermography {sp??} machine??

I don't know if the general personal temperature lasers {for fevers} would work the same I've never used them-
but it would be interesting to get some readings to see if hands and feet are actually cooler than the norm or if it is your perception of them being cooler.

for personal TOS experiences - when I raise my arms way up or way out to when the blood gets stopped, it does seem to feel cooler and they get whiter, but as soon as I lower arms the blood rushes back and will feel warmer and flushed pinkish.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Shelley,

My hands are cold so much of the time.. They feel as though I have them stuck in a freezer.. Then an hour later they can be warm.. My upper outer arms are always ice cold and pasty color... My hand turn pasty and when I clench my fist it takes a few seconds for the color return.
I wish I could offer you an answer.. I have none at this point.. I hate cold hands.. I always use those hand warmers that I bought from e-bay that people use in the winter months to warm there hands. It's about the only thing that helps me..
Many Warm Hugs
Dawn
Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks guys. Here is what I do know.

THey are inflammed and spasm. I know this based on a test the endo did where the result showed an all over inflammtion in the blood vessels. It hurts.

I saw the rheumy last week and she did some more tests so I see her on Tuesday. Just want to make sure its not vasculititeis or reynauds.

But then me and hubby discussing it and wondering if maybe it could still be the TOS.

My feet juat get so cold like there is a vise on them and then it travels up my legs. Same with the hands.

Also having trouble breathing and finding myself chest breathing and taking some deep breaths that are hard to take like the phrenic nerve or diaphragm is not working.

Just thining it through that maybe those pesky ribs are at it again. Time to break out Sharon Butlers book.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

P.S. Dawn I bought those warmer things off ebay too. But even the heating pad is not helping warm the feet and hands.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:01 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

one of the papers i read specifically said nerve compression makes the hands/feet feel cold even if they arent. The temp measurement would be key here...to see if they really are cold or if they just feel cold.

If you are having it in your legs, and still have compression of sciatic nerve, then it could suggest nerve compression.

dr jordan took temps on both my hands during his initial exam with a laser thermometer of some sort.

*big hugs*

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:11 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default cold

Peter Edgelow instructs people to measure the temperature of their hands before activities that may cause further injury, such as trying a new exercise. If the temperature of your fingers is cooler after the activity in question than before the activity you should not do the activity as it could cause further harm.

The way he says to do it is to buy from Radio Shack an indoor and out door thermometer. It has a long cord and you hold the end of the cord (which is like a probe) between your thumb and forefinger. He has in his kit a little thermometer that you hold onto called a "thumbometer'

Dr Ellis has a thermography unit that he uses in his initial exam. Everywhere I had pain my skin was cold.

If you are having trouble breathing, please don't take any chances and see your doctor or go to the emergency room.

Before my rib resection I had a problem with my hands getting very cold and swelling and turning blue. Someone here on the braintalk forum suggested I take a baby aspirin 81 mg. I tried it and it really did help and my hands were a little warmer.I ended up taking an adult aspirin twice a day. Dr Saxton was amazed.
After surgery I didn't need it.

I'm not a doc so I'm not recommending aspirin, check with your doctor first.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Just thinking out loud

Just thinking as I am typing, but I remember Dr togut telling us why so many have chest pain and in the ER it is to rule out the ehart or why the TOS gives us the pain.

I remember him explaining about the spasms in the chest and tightness in some TOS victims. This tightness makes a compression and creates pressure against the ribs, chest wall, so presses against many structures under the chest wall.
So difficulty breatheing, and I was wondering then about compression the sympathetic nerve..if this was being "strangled" as the chest wall is pressing in on the nerves, it could affect distant parts of the bodies sympathetic nervous system.

Another thought too, some of the psych meds used for nerve pain, have a small instance of core body temp influance. De would spike fevers.
I wonder if the body temp is being affected it directs blod flow from the distant appendages and to the body organs, Like when someone had a hypertherma problems.First to get frost bite are fingers and toes.

When you feel this Shelly, can you try to get your heart rate up and see if you warm them up? Maybe just a walk up the steps and down, or run in place a moment, or walk? It sounds like what ever is causing it is poor siculation and if you could find something to revers that it would warm you up.

I like the hottub, it gives deep to the bone warming affects. I can do my range of motion in there too. Gets the ehart pupming too. I don;t have it filled right now, and it is so much easier to get in and out of the shower, but a saok in the bath with tons of bubbles, warms me too,

Oh, the dollar stores have a peppermint foot lotion. I use that summer and winter, Great feeling on the feet.

Hope you find relief,
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 AM #8
buckwheat

buckwheat

Hi Shelly,

I have the same problem. It could be 75 degrees in my home and I am cold.

I wear alot of layered clothing at same time. Like a tank, t-shirt, and then a sweater on the lower part of my body, leggings with slacks and skirts.

If I wear a dress thick tights or leggings with them as well, including a long sweater.

At least I am dressing fun and funky ladies. Love, Roz xxx
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:32 AM #9
buckwheat

buckwheat

Has anyone tried these? I think I am going to give them ago.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...rs_-_For_Women

Hugs, Roz
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Shelley

I remember sitting at the pain management doc's waiting room and seeing a young woman in shorts and on her hands she wore gloves.

Dr Ellis tells me I should wear gloves if I go out into the cool air.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote