Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 01:48 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default best purse for tos on sale llbean

there are times i just need some sort of purse, especially for my asthma inhaler. the only one i like is on sale now at www.llbean.com for $16.95. i ordered more because i am afraid it might be discontinued. the item # is
TK47148, and it is called a travel touring bag. i have the navy one in the regular size. it is a nice poly fabric with a slight texture of lines crossing, and only weighs 9 ounces empty. the strap is good, and the purse fabric is just right, not too flimsy and not too heavy. i can also put it next to my waist and support it with my elbow when the shoulder strap is painful with a flareup. it has stood up to wear and rain. the outside pocket with velcro on one side is handy for stuff you need a lot, like chapstick. the other side has zipper outside place i use for cash and change. under that is a "wallet area" with another zipper and stretch strap for keys. i dont use that underneath stuff much. it is sooo light that you would never know it has these extra places. inside is one area that has pouch with velcro closure, so not just a bottomless pit inside. it comes in black, navy, light green and umm a burgundy i think. it used to come in light blue last year, no more boo hoo. check it out! and very reasonable in price too!
oesbrenda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Is the backbag any good? Anyone ever tried that? The one that crosses the back and the weight is in the back as well?
withmore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I haven't tried any like that myself-
this kind??
http://www.relaxtheback.com/micro-fi...null&Site=null

and from - http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1290.html

Purses – Backpacks – Briefcases
Carry only the items that are required for each particular day.

Avoid a heavy purse (tote, bag) worn over one shoulder. This can place too much weight on one side of the body and can cause neck, shoulder, and back pain. If you must use a bag or briefcase with a single strap, make sure the strap is padded and wide. The ACA suggests wearing a strap that is long enough to place over the head resting on the opposite side of the bag or briefcase. This can help to distribute the weight more evenly.

People of all ages use a backpack today – preschoolers, students, office employees, teachers, backpackers, even grandparents! Many people pack the backpack to its absolute capacity! Some children carry almost as much weight in their backpack as they weigh! A loaded backpack should not exceed 15% of the body's weight and never more than 25 pounds! Consider the following backpack tips:

* Choose a backpack made of a lightweight material.
* Make sure the shoulder straps are adjustable, wide and padded. A backpack with a waist/hip strap is preferable. Wear the pack with both shoulder straps and hip strap.
* Pack the heavier items close to the back. Backpacks with many compartments will help you equalize and distribute the load. Pointy objects should be packed away from the wearer's spine.
* Parents can talk to their child's teacher and arrange for a separate set of books to be kept at home eliminating the need to haul books back and forth.

When i was more symptomatic with RSI/TOS I just used a fanny pack- but now I use a very soft leather backpack type of purse. I can carry it or wear it depending on the need/comfort.
But I still carry only the minimum items needed and empty out the misc and change often.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

yes, that one. Any good?
withmore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:12 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up Great purse

Hi OS,
I have the same purse for years too, I love it as it has no weight, wide strap and I can slipmy elbow in as a sling. I think it is going to be discontinued as they did that with the healthy backtote, in a hawiian pattern with mesh. They still have it in Micro fiber. It slings over the shoulder with padded strap, takes the weight off shoulder and to the back/rear. great for outings.
If we go to parks Iput sweaters, drinks and firstaid stuff all in it and not heavy on me. I tool it to Disney a few times.

I would like to get the reg size in microfiber, leather is costly and also heavy.

GypsyMom2go turned me on to their purses.
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:29 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

For situations that I used to use a backpack, I now use a "lumbar pack" from Marmot, other companies make them as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/748192

They look a bit like a fanny back but they are much better engineered to keep the weight close into the small of your back so it's comfortable and doesn't pull on you. They also carry much more than a fanny pack, almost as much a regular backpack.

they have a shoulder strap, but it's not needed and can be removed.

Mine has a lightweight internal frame, wide straps around the waist, and compression straps. The style I have is Marmot walkabout but I think that's been replaced with a similar new model.
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default more on purse

i have the healthy back bag in microfiber too, but the purse on sale is much more of a real purse, that you can take to dressier places and when dressed up, where the others look more student-like. and i found the healthy back bag hard to keep on my shoulder, and harder to access things inside because my fingers are so useless! i cant use a fannypack since i had abdominal surgery. ouch!
oesbrenda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:19 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_tos View Post
For situations that I used to use a backpack, I now use a "lumbar pack" from Marmot, other companies make them as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/748192

They look a bit like a fanny back but they are much better engineered to keep the weight close into the small of your back so it's comfortable and doesn't pull on you. They also carry much more than a fanny pack, almost as much a regular backpack.

they have a shoulder strap, but it's not needed and can be removed.

Mine has a lightweight internal frame, wide straps around the waist, and compression straps. The style I have is Marmot walkabout but I think that's been replaced with a similar new model.

I like that bag, it looks a little smaller than mine...which could be good for shorter outings. Maybe i need to get one of those, too....

I have the mountainsmith lumbar pack . I use it for hiking or outings with the kids...i love all the pockets. And, the compression straps are KEY to keeping it well balanced.

It allows me to feel self sufficient when I am out with my family, which is a good thing.

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote