Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yoga for disc bulge problems

I am 25 years old girl. My recent CT scans showed mild posterior bulging between my L4-L5.I am on regular physiotherapy. My orthopaedic says I should do to make my core strong. I am not sure wha kind of Yoga I should do? There are so many types: Hatha Yoga,Bikram Yoga,Iyengar Yoga???

Any suggestions and experiences willbe deeply appreciated.

Thanks.Neha
neha1012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Pilates is good for core strength if the instructor is good at checking if you are using the right muscles, worsens backs if not taught properly.

restoritive yoga's good for calming muscle spasms related to back injuries.
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm 22. This kind of problem is really horrible. I suggest you not to do anything without consulting doctor. Same yoga might be useful as well as harmful for different kind of person.

Well, I recently recovered from this kind of problem. I am feeling very happy now. I have documented all my experiences here, so that people can get some relief just by knowing that this problem can be solved.

http://transcendental.wordpress.com/...om-it-finally/

Again, do not do anything without consulting the doctor, though you may consult with more than one doctor.
ferrari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neha1012 View Post
I am 25 years old girl. My recent CT scans showed mild posterior bulging between my L4-L5.I am on regular physiotherapy. My orthopaedic says I should do to make my core strong. I am not sure wha kind of Yoga I should do? There are so many types: Hatha Yoga,Bikram Yoga,Iyengar Yoga???

Any suggestions and experiences willbe deeply appreciated.

Thanks.Neha
Dear Neha, As a yoga therapist and someone who found yoga 40 years ago due to a major spinal injury I can direct you to a proper yoga practice. Stay away from Bikram Yoga it is a very athletic and competitive form of yoga and not what you are looking for. It is essential to have a seasoned teacher, someone who has a long history of working with the mind body as a therapist. Hatha Yoga is strictly the physical practice of yoga poses and includes breathing exercises and is a good place to start. You need to avoid any props and only use your breathing as a prop. THis means working into postures and developing deep, deeper and deepest breathing. LEarning the essential ingredient of yoga, ocean breathing is key. THis is the breathing that will trigger internal healing and is essential to the restoration of your discs and spine. Daily 15 minutes of practice on the floor every day is ideal. You can safely start if you seek out spinal practices right on places like You Tube. Search yoga therapy for the spine and start there. But first learn the principle of ocean breathing, Ujjayi breathing and always work with the breath to compel each movement. Inhalations are used to stretch, exhalations to bend or twist. Avoid twists at first and use them only at the end of a practice while laying on the ground, aligned. Enter a twist with a deep, belly breath, exhalation (belly button to the spine) and if you can maintain deepest breaths during any pose you are in a safe place. Email me if you would like further explanation or help. Melissa
blueeagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote