Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks to All

I just wanted to thank those of you who responded to my e-mail regarding my upcomming surgery 6/18. I am so confused I don't think the second opinions are available to me. I have financially exhausted all assets and savings. I have been unable to work for 2 years and still waiting for ss disability hearing in front of judge. I am desparate I don't see anyway for me to travel just cant cover expenses and I am under Capital Health Plan here in Tallahassee Florida and I don't have any insurance options I could'nt begin to pay for the travel much less the cost of treatment. Should I cancel I just dont know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated I'm very stressed over this. I have been told by my Nuero and Orth surgeon that Dr. Saint is excellent and that I shouldn't let anyone else in our area do the surgery just Dr. Saint..

Beverley
moneymaker8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-10-2007, 06:08 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Beverly,
Take a deep breathe and let us brainstorm for you the possibilities.

When I went to Denver I applied for the Christian Fund for the Disabled from Joni Earckson-Tada's ministry ($2,500 and my church should have matched that amount but they didn't have the funds and the church broke up due to dissention in the congregation.

There are groups that supply flights for people traveling for medical care. I'll put up some links for you.

I suggest that you call one of the recommended surgeons as they encounter these problems all the time. You are not alone, most of us were in your position by the time we got to the point of a rib resection and scalenectomy(or whatever surgery you may have. I know how Dr Annest's office works so I can suggest you call his office.

There are options for you and the surgeons usually have 1 specific person in the office that is designated to help the people from out of the area.

www.joniandfriends.com

click The Christian Fund for the disabled for grant info
gotta go for now, daughter needs computer

Last edited by ocgirl; 06-10-2007 at 06:27 PM.
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Additionally, with a surgery this delicate, most insurance companies are glad to let you go to a doc out of state. They see it as less of a chance for re-do's and complications. Cheaper for them!

My Insurance Co (AETNA) reviewed my request and Dr Annest's office got approvals for me from them.

The hospital has an indigent program whereby you can show hardship by writing a letter, sending documents to back up your poorness (last years taxes) and they write-off your hospital stay. The only thig I had to pay for was the surgeon's time - and he cut me a very reasonable deal and payment plan.

There's also a lo budget hotel nearby (The INN is closed - that was a swell option), again Dr A's nurse can give you all the details.

Sweetie, I KNOW how you are freaking out right now, but would a phone call on Monday hurt? And if it turns out you can't swing it... then nothing lost. It may give you some added serenety to know you tried every option.

We don't mean to question Dr Saint's qualifications or expertise. But this procedure is best done by someone who does several a week, not 'the best guy in town'.

I hope we aren't frightening you. and I understand the $$ isn't there. We just don't want to see anyone else suffer (any more) needlessly. Whichever way you decide to go, we will be here to support you with good ideas, a place to vent, and general love and support.

Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Beverly,

Can't really add much to all the excellent suggestions in response to both of your posts. In case you haven't seen it, I just wanted to mention that there is a "Doctors and PT List for TOS" sticky at the top of the page. It lists a few recommended docs from Florida.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=135

Best of luck to you!
Stardust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

You might call his office? and ask about Dr Saints record experience or # of TOS surgeries he has done, it might help you to have that info.
If the neuro & ortho are friends or acquaintances with dr saint -they would recommend him and not say otherwise. Just something to think about.
If they are all in the same Hospital/locale they most likely do know of each other.
These are just things we suggest to most new members, as it is a detailed and problematic surgery and you want the best you can find to do it.