Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth GOOD NEWS from IME report!!!

Lawyer's office got the IME's report today, I called as it was to be here by June 8 - this was the UIC appt I had on MARCH 19th, mind you, and the little bitty report was all of 7 pages - poor Doc must be seriously overbooked (she says facetiously) HA!

Anyways, seems he could ONLY come to the conclusion, after reading through my War and Peace of medical records and examining my delightful self, that:

1.) I suffered a post-immunization brachial plexitis caused by a tetanus booster.

2.) That continuing pain is not a sx of brachial plexitis, although muscle weakness and atrophy are known to continue, and sometimes , not improve. Therefore my continuing and progressive high pain and symptoms including allodynia and excessive sweating are due to central sensitization, itself due to CRPS-II, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

And 3) He is not CONVINCED I have OR had TOS, because I had neither a c-rib, elongeted C-7, or fibrous band connecting the two, and believes these must be present for true neurogenic thoracic outlet, even a case secondary to brachial neuritis. He says swelling of the brachial plexus due to inflammation sufficient enough to cause nerve irritation or compression has not been scientifically proven, and adds that my imprved EMG findings following first rib resection COULD be due to machime irregularity or operator bias.

My thoughts: We obviously hit home runs on the first two counts and he could find no way to discredit the medical findings - NADA! This is big! They will have to pay for my ketamine treatments - WHEW!!!! And all other RSD-related medical expenses, past and present, what a relief!

But the brachial plexitis finding was KEY - because without that in our favor, the rest would be thrown out - so I am VERY happy!!

Now, on the 3rd - the TOS was always the weak point, not because I didn't have it, but because of all the controversy about it. But I think he shot himself in the foot here. Roos and others have identified the scalene minimus as one of the bands causing TOS, and there are papers in medical journals that describe it. Dr Annest and Dr Togut wd certainly have something to say about it as well. And this Dr is a neurologist, not a surgeon, and he has never done a TOS surgery. I believe a TOS surgeon's opinion will carry more weight with the Special Master.

Plus, the Dr who did my before and after surgery EMG's was Dr Machanic, who has served on the Medical Board for the State of Denver and I believe is a Prof at UC Denver, he is NO slouch. For a UIC Dr to make such statements is pretty absurd and far-reaching.

I am feeling pretty good about the whole shebang, can you tell? My lawyer and I meet with the DOJ lawyer on June 25 to discuss possible figures, and with the Special Master on the 26th. I'm not planning on playing softball, let me tell you!

Saw a Dr yesterday for EMG's on my legs, trying to figure out the balance, falling, burning feet, PAIN, issues, determine if it is RSD as has been assumed, or something else. He says Peripheral Polyneuropathy - yet another dx - I still suspect possible mercury toxicity from the thimerosal in the tetanus booster, because of my hereditary connective-tissue disorder (which has yet to be identified). It explains so many, many things - and being a smoker, with dental amalgams, well water, living near farm fields and factories, I would have had a high body burden BEFORE the shot. Anyway...

Brachial plexopathy IS a peripheral neuropathy, just multiplied - check out PN under symtoms on various sites, you will be amazed to see how many of ours are common knowledge in other conditions, such as diabetes or others. So why are we made to feel like idiots or mental patients when describing the same neurological sx? It's RIDICULOUS!!!

OK, that's enuff, just wanted to share with my peeps (think I need to get around adults more, I'm sounding more and more like my girls )

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

RIGHTON BETH!!!!! HOORAY!!

Will you need to go back for repeat Ketamine treatments? So glad you are almost DONE with this long as heck battle.

I think we are breaking new ground in the legal system. How rediculous that they don't consider it TOS without the c-ribs or bands?!?

many congrats !

Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am so happy to hear the good results, it's been such a long legal battle for you.
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

YAY I am very happy for you!!!!
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's not overyet - not til we settle on the amt, and the check has cleared the bank!!! But I do think thinks are looking up, don't you?

I hired my atty in 9/2003, we filed 7/2004, went to court (twice) summer 2005, got decision in my favor last July, now FINALLY, seems I am about to get justice, at long last - somebody pinch me - very gently, please, I have PAIN, ya know???

Yep, I'm feeling a little giddy - I mean I'm happy, Alison, drag your mind out of the gutter woman!!! Sheesh!!

Anne, isn't that pathetic - even my surgical report says the scalene minimus was wrapped all over things and tight up under the vein. He totally disregards Dr A. and Dr Togut's expertise in diagnosis of TOS, and is implying Dr A of unnecessary surgery and Dr Machanic of either poor skills or bias in his EMG reports in order to deny my TOS. Pretty sad when a Dr has to go to such extremes to come up with some kind of finding the other side can maybe use - wonder how much he got paid?

He seems to be MOSTLY an honest Dr though - I'm guessing they won't be knocking on his door agian any time soon!

beth

Thanks for the cheers and well wishes - I figured you all deserved to share in my good news, you've been through all my bad times and miseries! I don't know HOW I would have made it this far without you all, I truly don't.

Last edited by beth; 06-14-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: addition
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Grin Yeah

Oh Beth I am so gald, This is great news and light at the end of the tunnel.
It really went much better then anyone of yourcrew could have hoped for I am GLAD.

Big Hugs and weight off the chest sigh of relief is called for.
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Talking Wow, That is So Awesome.....

I am so happy to hear that you are finally getting some good news...
Soon to be that...

Happy Happy Joy Dance...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Finally, some good news !!!! Congrats !! You deserve it !

Dolfinz
Dolfinz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It's been a long road

Beth,

I am so glad this is finally coming to an end. I remember when you first came to the forum with this injury from the tetanus shot because I'm allergic to them myself. I get a local, muscular and nervous system reaction.

Imagine this coming to an end and being able to have treatment and start feeling even better.

How is the stim working? I'm anxious to hear where and how much relief you are getting.

Congrats !! It is almost time to party. Use July 4th for your party and they'll fill the sky with fireworks for you

Hope
HopeLivesHere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote