Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Chat Forum Issues and Suggestions

So that the "What if.." thread can hopefully get back to its original OT, I'm copying and pasting from my post there:

I'm open to suggestions in regards to sub-forums, most certainly. However, these sub-forums would be subject to the guidelines and moderated by the moderators of the forum and administrators. We can't, in any way that I see or know about, give individuals moderating "powers" for specific threads...only specific forums. Making all members of a forum a moderator in the forum isn't an option that I see.

I do agree that discussions here can be very pointed, and that a deviation from the OT can take a subject way off path. I would like to discuss our options to work this, but at the same time, I keep in mind that if everyone would post according to the existing guidelines, and asking one's self if their post is on topic with the OT, there would be few issues. Also, keeping in mind that when we post publicly, not everyone is going to agree with us. As long as disagreement doesn't include attack or hijack, that's OK. When we post publicly, we can expect responses within the guidelines. Just as we count on the guidelines being upheld, posters count on being able to post within those same guidelines.

If we are accepting of our fellow posters within the guidelines for the site as well as keep our own posting within the same guidelines, threads and discussions can generally run very smoothly. Also remember please that if we generally don't tolerate well another poster, we have the option to put their posting on "ignore" to make the most of our experience.

Again, I'm open to suggestions for the issues in the forum and in regards to sub-forums. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks,

From the caterpillar emerged
~Strong in flight, beautiful to the eyes, movement laced with grace~
The butterfly
**KD**
</center>

Last edited by kimmydawn; 06-18-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add icon
kimmydawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I wanted to make this thread so that posters can make suggestions on what might help their experiences here...what difficulties they've run into (without being overly critical, or pointing specifically out, another poster), and what suggestions they might have to help this forum run more smoothly.

There has been a suggestion of sub-forums. What specific sub-forums?

Also, in regards to debate within threads where some can get/feel personal, what might be the suggestion outside of requiring posting remain within the guidelines? Chemar made a suggestion that the post could be reported and a new thread could be created for the member. Are there any others?

I appreciate y'alls help on this.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Let it be

Let it be....

Sub forums could be used for Carolines news posts if discussion could be forced back to this the main forum anything more in the way of divisions would divisive and be detrimental to the overall board.
KC Tower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for your feedback.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Kimmy

I can't see how sub forums could work as they would only be used as these ones are because if the member wants to make a point nothing sometimes will stop them and the constant being on the lookout would be very difficult and if the mods have to choose which post is usefull and which isn't then it will be nigh impossible for them to do.

I suggest that as an eg Ron perhaps every couple of days or so tell the mod assigned to put this and this one in number two post.

He then would have the choice and I don't for one minute believe there will be a necessity to alter the wording of them.

It's only a need to keep the most relevant posts in order so as to logically follow a pattern for the sake of lucidity.

I can't see many posters asking for thils so it seems to me that it won't be abused.

what say you/
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:04 AM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Living together

Well, what have I started!!!
Overall, for a group of people suffering from a debilitating illness, we get along very well. We get some great humour which shows PWP's are not cowed by their illness.
But there is a very serious side, together, we have a unique opportunity to make a contribution to overcoming this disease.
How do we do it amicably.
Firstly, sub forums, I fear that they would just transfer any disagreements from the main to the sub forums. The problem is the written word can be misread far easier than the spoken word. The spoken word can take on a friendly, soothing tone, it can be given with a twinkle in the eye etc. But we can only use the written communication, and Braintalk works so well on the whole that I imagine we would not want to radically change it.
Perhaps we need additional guidelines.
1. When you radically disagree with the contents of a post, which may have upset or angered you, do so via a personal message. Hopefully, you are not wanting to show the forum members how much cleverer you are than the poster. This is not really a new guideline, but often not adhered to.
2. When you reply to a post, don't just send a copied publication with absolutely no interpretation with it. Add a commentary, an explanation of what point you are making. If you leave the originator to decide what your point is, he or she often make the wrong one. A reply of a copied reference only, with no explanation of why you posted it, gives the impression of
"Just see that, I can't be bothered communicating with you"
3. We have a "Thanks for this post" facility, how about other possibilities. If a reply is off topic, why not have an "Off topic" facility. If a post gets several "Off topic" votes from a variety of members, they will get the message amicably, instead of a retort from the originator.
There are other such "voting" facilities one could think of, which could improve the quality of the debate, and keep the discussion on topic without dingbats being thrown.
Best wishes to all,
Ron
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:54 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Best idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
Well, what have I started!!!
Best wishes to all,
Ron
Ron, starting anything is good and your efforts are appreciated .... and the best idea for some semblance of control without being intrusive ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
3. We have a "Thanks for this post" facility, how about other possibilities. If a reply is off topic, why not have an "Off topic" facility. If a post gets several "Off topic" votes from a variety of members, they will get the message amicably, instead of a retort
Ron
This would do much more than the current thanks button. We have people brag about their # of posts counter I wonder who get the record if there was a # of off topic posts counter. How about a pool??

And for the record, I fully agree with RH angst about some of the posts in "his" thread but strongly felt the proposed solutions were one sided and not advisable.
KC Tower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default good

suggestions from rh, i like 1,2,and 3.

call me weird, you wouldn't be the first, but, i like the argueing. although it does detract from a good and productive thread and it is a real shame when people insist on having their feeling hurt, there is an authenticity to it. any community i have been involved with has had these very same issues, it is how we grow as a group.

i am not a great organizer but a structure in this forum to provide a way for a thread to stay on track would be worth trying. i like the sub thread where the originator could somehow just include the posts that are pertinant

oyster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'm one that likes a good debate on issues with which I have knowledge...a good die hard debate...lol. It's just not everyone's cup of tea and I understand that. I think conflicting opinion, thoughts, and knowledge is actually what makes a good conversation...one where we can gain something from.

Some like debate, some like just positive contribution sticking to the facts, and some even like a good argument. Most don't enjoy "mud-slinging" though.

We have to find that middle road knowing that we can't be everything to everyone but try to make it as comfortable as possible for the whole.

I know, speaking personally, I can get really involved emotion-wise when the topic is something I'm passionate about, and in my experience, that's where the hurts and upsets can occur...due to a passion...something great to have.

So, with many who are passionate about their very lives, I think we'll figure out a way to making posting more comfortable for the whole of the forum, if not for every like or taste.

Also, it's not an "ugly" act to use ignore on occasion. There were times that I'd sign on and think, "Ugh, I can't deal with so and so today. I can barely tolerate them on a good day." Ignore isn't a forever thing...but to use as we need. Just another suggestion, and one that the whole can benefit from at times by not having to read upset.

KD

The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
Old 06-19-2007, 10:11 AM #10
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Posting is a priviledge, Not a Right

Some of us do not contribute to the costs of running this forum, others contribute something to keep it up and running but what is contributed on an individual basis does not come close to the total costs of keeping this forum going. Many of us are computer illerate and would never be able to keep a forum of this size up and running.

If the moderators edit or block you from this site for a week, take your lumps. More than likely they were deserved. We do get overinvolved from time to time, espiecially if we are housebound and don't get out and vist friends. Spending too much time by yourself has a tendency to focus all your thoughts on what you believe, argue with yourself, begin to put too much credence in your own ideas and theories, and lastly, become to believe your theories as fact and refuse to acknowledge other opinions; looking only for those that will back up your own.

Since we all signed on this forum promising to follow the forum rules, at that point in time we are acknowledging the possibility we might not only be able to follow them, but also that we all are capable of breaking them. The moderators must be trusted to act according to their interest in providing us with a safe environment to vent good news, views, develop friendships, and we must accept the fact that no one is perfect.

I am one of those who keeps threatening to leave. My views oppose many on this forum and I take it very seriously when others make sarcastic remarks about my posts. Some say make your disagreements with a spoon of sugar. The same person may permit themselves to "flame" another thinking they are not attacking someone but are defending a more ethical belief.

This forum is sometimes used by people who are trying to help others by posting long, current studies on many different aspects of Scientific findings about Parkinson's disease. If the information doesn't interest you, ignore it. But there is usually someone who will find something helpful in the post, depending on where they are with their symptoms. If this is true, thank the poster so they know someone is out there listening and considers their efforts to assimalate information as valuable. I assume that persons on this forum who perform this function would lose interest if they never received feedback.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote