Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help! Need Articles - Roos, Sanders, etc.

Does anyone have these saved to file? I have need of them and would GREATLY appreciate copies to take w/me when speaking to DOJ lawyer on Monday re: IME report. (Gonna sink his Battleship! )

1: Am J Surg. 1990 Feb;159(2):231-6
Scalene muscle abnormalities in traumatic thoracic outlet syndrome.
Sanders RJ, Jackson CG, Banchero N, Pearce WH.

2. J Neurol Sci. 1995 Feb;128(2):175-80
Shoulder-arm pain from cervical bands and scalene muscle anomalies.
Liu JE, Tahmoush AJ, Roos DB, Schwartzman RJ.

3. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996 Apr;8(2):183-9.
Historical perspectives and anatomic considerations. Thoracic outlet syndrome.
Roos DB.

There are a couple of other Roos studies on anatomical anomalies, the first much earlier, the later one from the 2004 Hand Clinic journal. There is also an Atasoy article from the 2004 Hand Clinic as well. What I am looking for is the early descriptions, and more up-to-date, of scalene anomalies, specifically scalene minimus, and how they can predispose to TOS, but are asymptomatic unless there is trauma to the neck. I would REALLY like how they attach with illustration and can you give me the moon, too?

I am also looking for a good description of appropriate history-taking and clinical exam and dx.

I have most of this info in bits and pieces from other authors found while surfing around the web, but it's not pulled together concisely from a few authorative voices as I would like.

I did find out the IME that said he didn't think I have or had TOS because I didn't have a long C-7 transverse process or a c-rib doesn't have a CLUE - the scalene minimus attaches at the C-7 and to the first rib, and often to the pleura as well, now figure mine was all wound through the plexus and under the vein on that journey But I really want more than the abstracts when I go in there on Monday - so can you help? Merci!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Beth we had that MSN TOS link, I bet the articles are there. Lady Parrot had them saved. Let me do some digging.
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Di,

Most of them are there, but can't be opened - at least if they're in PDF.

I'm heading for a nap, will get on again later and dig some more. I have hard copies of all these, but dh helpfully "filed" everything in tubs and took it to the basement a couple years ago - I mean everything! Test results, contact phone numbers, you name it, HE STORED IT!! And I had NO idea where any of it WAS!!

Ok, really, I'm over it, way, far, over it. Really.

None of it's organized, natch. But, I'm cool with that. I could probably sort through those tubs if I did no more than oh, 15-20 papers a day, maybe 30.

Course I'd be 784 yrs old when I finished...... I' going to go take that nap now!
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:04 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I am sure if I copy this and send ot to lady parrot she can send the PDF files. Sleep well.
Di

Pocono area, PA

Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

let me know if the others can't get the pdfs, I have hard copies of most of those,maybe we can work something out.

also see

http://ves.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/40/3/251

for an explanation of how you can get TOS from trauma in rather complete biochemical detail

you can also print out the summary of all the article you mentioned for free at www.pubmed.org

if you check at the publisher's link at pubmed.org, most journals will let you print an article for a fee, but it's expensive ($20/article)
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

The MSN TOS site- as far as I know is still having problems accessing those articles - gibbrn & Lady Parrot have been is contact with who ever is in charge at the msn side of it and they still haven't gotten any action or a fix.

The ones I did have are long gone along with my crashed hard drives.

I think gibbrn/victoria might have them in pdf format???
you might PM her and check she may not see the thread.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Confused Mine are on the crashed DELL

I tried an email to ladyParrot at her adelphia email but it was returned,

Anyone have a second email? I am sure I must have but can;t locate on this puter.
Beth do you have a fax? My box is probably as buried as yours after 7-14 years.
Still searching,
Di
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have Sanders Book will that help?
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth She Gets to Impress the DOJ No Less! My, Oh My!

hey beth,

there's a good roos/brantigan article within the thread written by johanna not too long ago entitled "how i chose my surgeon," i believe in the post re her visit with chuck himself in denver.

it's not among those you specifically cite, but may give you some needed ammo, beth. as i recall, it's pretty well-written and not too dense. i had suggested to jo at the time that the thread be made a sticky because it really contains a lot of great info, and as i recall she commingled it with the "DRS and PT" stuff. but you can probably find it via the search function as well.

give 'em hell on monday, won't you? that IME sounds like a freaking idiot. like shooting fish in a barrel.

i know this will go well for you. you have so much knowledge on the subject; i would think just a few concise papers from the leading experts should put that ridiculous argument to rest.

copied you on the email i sent to our lovely canuck, victoria, who has recently moved lock, stock and barrel from ontario to a whole different province (the name of which escapes me at the moment). hopefully, she will be able to chime in with those sharp research skills in time to assist you, but i think you already have what you need to roll right over this joker, i really do, beth.

nap easy sister. have fun with it, and don't forget to breathe!

alison
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default maybe also of help

Am J Surg. 1995 Jul;170(1):33-7.Click here to read Links

Comment in:
Am J Surg. 1995 Nov;170(5):524.

Anomalies at the thoracic outlet are frequent in the general population.
Juvonen T, Satta J, Laitala P, Luukkonen K, Nissinen J.

Department of Surgery, University of Oulu, Finland.

BACKGROUND: Abnormal anatomy at the thoracic outlet is frequent in patients operated on for thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). The present study was designed to find out the rate of thoracic outlet anomalies in the general population. METHODS: Fifty cadavers representing a general population were subjected to a total of 98 meticulously performed cervical dissections to ascertain the frequency of congenital anomalies in the thoracocervicoaxillary region. RESULTS: During the 98 cervical dissections, 62 instances of abnormal anatomy of the thoracic outlet were found, and fully normal anatomy was found in 36 cases. Of the total 69 abnormalies, 66 could be classified according to Roos: 37 were type 3 abnormalities, 15 were type 5, 9 were type 11, and there was 1 each of type 4, type 6, type 7, type 9, and type 10 abnormalities. The remaining 3 abnormalities did not fit into Roos' classification. Only 10% (5/50) of the cadavers had a bilaterally normal anatomy. CONCLUSIONS: The results demonstrate that abnormal structures, such as congenital bands in the thoracic outlet, are more common in the general population than had previously been described. We suggest that fibrous bands confer a predisposition for TOS following a certain degree of stress or injury.

PMID: 7793491 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

See also

* A comparative study of structures comprising the thoracic outlet in 250 human cadavers and 72 surgical cases of thoracic outlet syndrome. [Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1998]
* [Treatment of the thoracic outlet vascular syndrome] [Srp Arh Celok Lek. 1998]
* Congenital anomalies associated with thoracic outlet syndrome. Anatomy, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. [Am J Surg. 1976]
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote