Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 04:51 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TOS surgery recovery

Hello Everyone,

I'm now 8 days after surgery boy am I sore! I wanted to ask those of you who have had this surgery a question. The tendon that runs from infront of my ear down my neck to the incision area seems very swollen more so than when I left the hospital seems very tightand hard and sore sore sore, did anyone have this? Oh my gosh I am also very numb across my chest no feeling also arm numb feeling and pain at tips of fingers. Just wondering how long recovery takes I mean should I be up and dancing yet?

Let me know !

Beverley
moneymaker8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am 5 weeks out today from a left rib resection.

I did not have cervie ribs, just the first rib taken out.

1 week i was in la la land...the day my drain was takee out i started to feel human but remained on very heavy pain meds (more than double what i was on pre surgery) for another week or so, then tapered to Heavy pain meds st 2.5 weeks or so (about double my presurgery meds) and am just starting now at 5 weeks to approach my presurgery pain med levels now, but still a bit higher.

so, take that as an indication... I had some soreness along the side of my neck, I assume that your scalenes were cut (they were previously attached to your rib) and therefore the rest of your neck muscles are working to learn to stabilize your neck without them.

I was told that if things went well, i should be ready for PT at 3 weeks post op. I was pretty ready. I am told that I have had quite a good recovery by some on the board, but others have certainly recovered faster.

I think post op pain is directly related to how much pain you had pre-op.

It is so personal that it would be difficult for me to give you an absolute answer, so just take my story with a grain of salt or two or three....

DOn't forget to request a copy of your op report, and did your surgeon give you any indication of how bad you were relative to other surgeries he has done? For instance, mine told me that my nerve inflammation was in the top 10% of those he had seen, all other stuff was typical. He told me it woudl take at elast a month for that nerve to start to calm down. It isn't completely calmed yet, but it is better than directly post op. I have a lot of point pain right wehre my second rib is, bc they are also takign on the brunt of what my first rib used to do. Your body will definitely need time to stabilize.

take it easy and SLOW!!!! I remember you felt quite bad before surgery. Improvement is all incremental.

good luck to you and keep being very super gentle with yourself.

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

[[The tendon that runs from infront of my ear down my neck to the incision area seems very swollen more so than when I left the hospital seems very tightand hard and sore sore sore, did anyone have this?]]

I wonder if that "tendon" is actually the SCM muscle??
In a spasm??

http://www.round-earth.com/SCM.html
http://www.realbodywork.com/learn/neck/scm.htm
more info and images-
http://images.google.com/images?um=1...q=SCM%20muscle
"Thanks for this!" says:
SD38 (09-22-2011)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bev,

I am 16 days post-op right first rib resection. I too have this tightness along my neck. My incision never hurt but that tight muscle is a little uncomfortable. Mine is also swollen...it makes my neck look crooked but I know it's just temporary. My fingers are still numb. The other night I woke up in the middle of the night with my right hand is severe pain. I can't figure out why. Took max. pain meds and fell asleep. Didn't hurt the next morning. Basically I think things are going very well but pain has increased after leaving the hospital.

Susanne
sphdallas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SD38 (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default same feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphdallas View Post
Bev,

I am 16 days post-op right first rib resection. I too have this tightness along my neck. My incision never hurt but that tight muscle is a little uncomfortable. Mine is also swollen...it makes my neck look crooked but I know it's just temporary. My fingers are still numb. The other night I woke up in the middle of the night with my right hand is severe pain. I can't figure out why. Took max. pain meds and fell asleep. Didn't hurt the next morning. Basically I think things are going very well but pain has increased after leaving the hospital.

Susanne
I'm now 3 weeks post op for A/VTOS and had right first rib resection too. My experience was almost identical to yours. Out of curiosity how are you doing now???? From Newby SD38
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SCM links....... thank you so much!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
[[The tendon that runs from infront of my ear down my neck to the incision area seems very swollen more so than when I left the hospital seems very tightand hard and sore sore sore, did anyone have this?]]

I wonder if that "tendon" is actually the SCM muscle??
In a spasm??

http://www.round-earth.com/SCM.html
http://www.realbodywork.com/learn/neck/scm.htm
more info and images-
http://images.google.com/images?um=1...q=SCM%20muscle
Thank you Jo*mar,
why on earth can't GP's make these connections with symptoms?????
I've for soooooooooo long suffered from these horrid symptoms amongst many others BUT these seemed to be troublesome for me..... The occipital headaches, sinusy, dizzy,jaw ache on laughing/smiling for too long ( which wasn't fun).
I'm post 3 weeks my first rib resection op- V/A/NTOS and due to see my surgeon again in 4 weeks...... I'm definately gonna bring this up and ask to be referred to a PT to work ( gently!!!!!! ) on this for me.
Thank you so much, you are so knowledgable!
From SD38
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgery post op

[QUOTE=moneymaker8;116891]Hello Everyone,

I'm now 8 days after surgery boy am I sore! I wanted to ask those of you who have had this surgery a question. The tendon that runs from infront of my ear down my neck to the incision area seems very swollen more so than when I left the hospital seems very tightand hard and sore sore sore, did anyone have this? Oh my gosh I am also very numb across my chest no feeling also arm numb feeling and pain at tips of fingers. Just wondering how long recovery takes I mean should I be up and dancing yet?

Let me know !

Valeri B

I had surgery on 2/9/12 and went to church and was able to raise my right arem straight up during praise and worship. I had the left side done on 2/20/12 and while I am al ittle sore it really is not too bad. My left seems to be taking al little longer than the right but Dr. Avraam Karas did my surgery and he is without a doubt the best doctor I have ever been to. He was absolutely awesome with me.
Valeri B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM #8
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Makes me hopeful!

Dear Valeri B:

Thank you so much for posting about Dr. Karas!!! I am scheduled to have surgery with him on Oct 21, 2013 and this really helped me to know that you did well with him! My TOS took forever (like 3 years) to get diagnosed, and I'm so looking forward to being pain free. Not looking forward to the surgery but I just want my life back! Can you tell me how you're doing as of now?

Deborah T

Quote:
Valeri B

I had surgery on 2/9/12 and went to church and was able to raise my right arem straight up during praise and worship. I had the left side done on 2/20/12 and while I am al ittle sore it really is not too bad. My left seems to be taking al little longer than the right but Dr. Avraam Karas did my surgery and he is without a doubt the best doctor I have ever been to. He was absolutely awesome with me.
Deborah T is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 PM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Valeri B's post was quite awhile ago 2/2012, and she hasn't posted since then..

But welcome to NT.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker8 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Let me know !

Beverley
Hi Beverly
Did u have surgery 2007?
How are u doing now?
I just had my 2nd tos surgery n ya chest is so numb feels like a hard brick! I still have numbness from last surgery 18mos ago doc says its permanent. Lucky me! Remember when I woke up from 1st surgery I asked the Dr. if I had a nerve block, he said no the nerves just do weird things.
rhonda
16rhonda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote