Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked Ot. Flushed Away

No.Not the new movie. And no...not my usual lavatorial sense of humour.
But my home...and garden. Flushed away.Yesterday.

At 7,00am the beck at the front of my home was rising in the torrential rain we have been suffering in the UK for the past few weeks.By 7.30am the water was up to my door.By 8.00am my home was a lake ,the road outside a raging river...and my front and back garden submerged by muddy,contaminated silt and sludge.

I was home with my two children,my husband in the middle of the North sea where he works.We set to and cleaned up where we could when the water had drained,but mid afternoon we looked on in horror as the rain came again,the road transformed into an almighty river this time,with a current that was treacherous.And my home once again transformed into Loch Ness.This time the damage was even greater.It rose above the sockets so the electricity had to be cut and I had no phone..the mobiles were out of power and we had no way to recharge them.My husband flew home to a scene of absolute devastation.

But ..you know...it really doesn`t matter.What have we lost? A few possessions.Yes...some of my furniture was antique and possibly irreplaceable but we are still here...still breathing...still mobile enough to clean the filth and the muck away...still here to take a mop and deal with the sludge.
And for that I am truly thankful.Three people in different areas lost their lives so it puts it all in perspective doesn`t it?

The saddest sight for me was when my son ,almost knee deep in dirty cold water,broke down in despair at the futile efforts we had made to rescue stuff...he sadly watched as objects drifted around in this alien sea ...exhausted himself from having worked so hard to save this item and that item,heaving sofas and chairs in vain,wresting duvets and towels,rugs and bean bags to stem the urgent tide of water that seeped through our doorways at an alarming rate.
My heart went out to him.. But I was able to say "It doesn`t matter.We did our best.
WE are still here."

ANd now...now that the water has disappeared ,and we are left with the cleaning up and sorting out of insurance ....no heating,no cooker,no this and that...I am still not sad .

Because that`s all they are.Life`s collectibles. Lost at sea.
I sure as hell won`t miss em but the thought of missing my family`s smiles,tears,arguments...etc etc.? Doesn`t bear thinking about.

Yes...I continue to be one lucky lucky lady.

Steff

ps.Does anyone know how to upload a photo in these posts cos I`d love you all to see my "water garden"

advertisement
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default condolences

for your tragedy. having lived through a number of hurricanes i know exactly how you must feel. try to keep your good attitude and be sure to get rest. yes , aflood or hurricane will remind us of whats realy important- loved ones, especialy kids and human kindness and compassion.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:15 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oh Steff

I am so sorry.You are right family are the most important but how awful.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thanks

thank you for your kind thoughts.I am ok truly.You know you see this type of thing on tv and hope /think it will never happen to you but when it does...well...what can i say...just another life experience that helps you get it all in perspective.I hope you don`t get the severe weather where you are ECD or at least if you do,that it won`t affect your home.Sorry too Oyster about your experiences .Hurricanes!!! How did you cope? It caught us by surprise because we are not classed as a "flood" hazhard area but the weather has been so freak that thousands in Britain are in the same "boat" pardon the pun.My heart goes out to the elderly and those who live in bungalows.At least we have a dry upper floor.

Bless you for caring
Love
Steff
x
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Steffi,

You've got the right frame of mind and here's one of those times when the emotional vacuum often felt with this creepy illness can actually help. Stay positive, that's all you can do right now. Just shrug your shoulders a couple hundred of times....it didn't sound as if you were safe either.

Never was Larry J's quote more appropriate: We fall down, we get back up again, we fall do....et al

Larry J a voice from the past and can be seen in Tena's video, as a sidenote for the curious

Try not to overdo it.....wishing you the best.
Paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 06-26-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: changed overdue to overdo - must have thought for a minute that I was paying bills
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You're a gem Steffi.

Thank you for reminding us that things are just things. Thank goodness you only did lose things, but I am truly sorry about all the things you did lose.
When the water recedes and the cleanup begins you are entitled to some crying and some **&%%%^. You're taking this awful disaster absolutely beautifully.
All the very best wishes for a not too painful restoration of house and garden.

And hugs of comforting,

birte
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy So very sorry

Steffi, I am so very sorry about what has happened. So glad you and your loved ones are ok - but the coming days and weeks and months will be so hard.

Years ago my family and I went through a disaster where we lost all of our belongings in a fire, but we were OK. Things are just things, but it is still hard to cope after such an event.

Thoughts & prayers are with you and yours,

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 PM #8
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Heart

sending you another pm steffi. keep your chin up. way up...above that sludge ya hear!

we are flooding here in texas too. it breaks my heart to watch the news of the lives lost. 3 children in 1 storm. so many without homes.

got you in the my thoughts and prayers. i'm glad you are ok.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A Life Lesson to Remember

Steffi...I MUST add to the other posts, here, and feel that I need to "speak" to you, too. Your home...your beautiful gardens literally swept away before your eyes... One moment, these things were there in all their beauty...the next, there was absolute devastation. It must almost seem unreal to you...yet you perceive all this as a "life lesson", i.e., what really is important in life....something we can all take away from your terrible experience...and something that we all need to remember in our darkest moments. This will be firmly etched in my mind so that when adversity may "strike", I hope I will be able to remember, well, your "life lesson".

God Bless, Steffi...
Therese
Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Boy Steffi you do know what is important in this little episode they call life. Stay with it girl as you are on course.

Never mind the falls we take it is finding the darn horse again that prevents some of us from riding off once again into the sunset

If you know what the devil I am talking about pm me as I don't lol

Feeling a bit nuts today.
Closed Thread