Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth Thread For Chris -OT

Here are a few good points about having Parkinson’s Disease:

1) At sporting events, you can sit in the in the roomier, better view sections available for folks with disabilities.

2) If you get stopped by the police, it's doubtful you'll ever have to be told to freeze.

3) When you go out to eat with friends, and the bill comes, you can say, "Let me pick this one up," and be in no danger of ever actually having to pay.

4) If you play poker, nobody will be able to tell what kind of hand you have by the expression on your face.

5) You are a natural for the rhythm section of a reggae band. All you have to do is try not to hit on the backbeat.

6) You can eat soup just as easily with a fork or spoon.

7) You can confidently buy stock in bottled water, knowing the volume you alone drink in one day is enough to keep values high.

8) It's easy to cut down on trips to the bank. Any time you need a little cash, just check your washing machine for money you left in pockets when you couldn't get those uncooperative greenback bills into your wallet.

9) Some philosopher once defined intelligence in this way: "The extent to which you accept things as they are because they have to be the way they are."

10) That same hand that can no longer safely hold soup in a spoon is great for sprinkling parmesan - especially if those seated near you don't mind a little as well

11) A wayward finger combined with a computer mouse can send you places on the internet you otherwise might never know about

12) you can get on a plane with all the small children and babies for first dibs at the overhead compartments

13) You're excused from helping the host at a dinner party for being too slow and dangerous - "just give that woman a glass of wine and find her a seat!"

14) You get to know all the other great people who have PD!
gaykir is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you

Very entertaining.

Thank you for trying to lighten things up!

Chris
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Fun! Excellent! I enjoyed the list.

Ann
AnnT2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink for Chris

Humor Therapy

What is humor therapy?

Humor therapy (sometimes called therapeutic humor) uses the power of smiles and laughter to aid healing. Humor therapy helps you find ways to make yourself (or others) smile and laugh more. When you think of humor therapy, picture clowns in the children's ward of a hospital cheering up sick children. Some hospitals now have humor carts that provide funny materials for people of any age. Many nurses have learned the value of providing a good laugh to those they care for.

Scientists have been researching the relation between the mind and the body, especially in connection with the body's ability to heal (a field called psychoneuroimmunology). Laughter appears to change brain chemistry and may boost the immune system.

Humor may allow a person to feel in control of a situation and make it seem manageable. It allows people to release fears, anger, and stress, all of which can harm the body over time. Humor improves the quality of life.

What is humor therapy used for?

Anyone can use humor therapy, either preventively or as part of treatment for any disease. People commonly use it in the treatment of long-term (chronic) diseases, especially those that are made worse by stress (such as heart disease and asthma). Chronic diseases can often have a negative effect on mood and attitude, which can make the disease worse. Humor therapy helps decrease the negative effects of feeling unhealthy, out of control, afraid, or helpless, which are common problems for those with cancer or chronic diseases.

Humor therapy is also valuable as a preventive measure for the caregivers of people with chronic diseases. Caregivers are at high risk of becoming sick themselves, and humor therapy can help release the stress that comes from being a caregiver. Caregivers and those they care for can practice humor therapy together, and they both are likely to have better health as a result.

Is humor therapy safe?

Humor therapy is completely safe. Your doctor is likely to approve of any efforts you make to use humor therapy, even if he or she is not aware of any medical benefits that may result. Since it is also inexpensive, risk-free, and readily available, there is little reason not to try practicing humor therapy.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth Laughed himself well.

jean

I showed your excellent paste to my wife (she is an English Teacher) and she told me that apparently there was this guy who famously locked himself in his hospital room and laughed himself well. She also said he (cannot remember his name and she has gone to school now) has written books on the subject, but I guess you probably know all this.

So I feel redeemed as it sounds like we have a much better chance with humour than anger!! As a man I need to be right lol.

Come on Vicky give us a smile.......................

chris
Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Laugh i love a good laugh

Chris - i love to laugh and find many things funny that others do not ... but oops ... i missed the joke in your other thread ... oh well i'm laughing at myself about that.

i once had a high level boss who terrorized everyone, but for some reason when he started his treatment on me, i just laughed at everything he said and told him he was funny. I don't think this ever happened to him before, but the result was that he and I were on friendly terms from then on.

And no I had not heard about the man who laughed himself well - I'll have to give it a try! Now where are all my monty python dvds ... I'll lock myself in a room and play them til I'm cured!

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good Laugh

Jean Quote

"And no I had not heard about the man who laughed himself well - I'll have to give it a try! Now where are all my monty python dvds ... I'll lock myself in a room and play them til I'm cured!"

Jean

If we want to feel at home we could start by viewing the episode with the "Ministry of silly walks" sketch. lol

Chris