Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default will i inherit the Gene too?

15%--25% of the patients of Parkinson's disease inherited from their relatives,my GRANDMOTHER had it at the age of 74 ,then my FATHER has it now at the age of 55, will i inherit the Gene too? Doctor told me that it's more likely: the female passed it to a male, and then a male passed it to a female,which means i won't inherit this disease,right?

browneuan025837 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default so sorry

Gosh...your question has sadly slipped through the net.So very sorry. Folk here are so very supportive so this is clearly an oversight but if I can,with my limited knowledge,at least try to send some reassurance your way...then I am pleased to help.
Firstly may I say that there are a million and one scientifically minded boffins on this forum...all exceedingly clever. I am not one of them.
But....here we go.

There appears to be a number of suggestions as to how a person becomes affected by pd.The illness itself is quite complex by its many guises and therefore so many other disorders are cast under this umbrella term of PARKINSONS.

However...exposure to pesticides has been a suggested cause. I personally cannot say I have been exposed to an overly excessive dose of these.

Yes,hereditary and genetic has been suggested. Now...yes my mum had it but that makes the genetic leap female to female in my case...and there are 5 other folk in my family who HAVEN`T got it so...to me this is dubious.
If you search around this forum,you will find tons of "self investigations " and questions regarding this topic.We are a questioning bunch of folk and do a great deal of digging about and debating so...hopefully , if nothing else,you feel welcome here now,and I am sure someone with A BRAIN will happen along shortly to put you truly in the picture.

Meanwhile...please don`t worry about if you will or if you won`t get it.Life is out there and needs LIVING !!!!
Go run,hop,skip,jump,laugh,cry,work,chill,feed the ducks,feed the kids,catch a movie,get stoned....just ENJOY YOURSELF

X
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Question I will share my genomecodes

hello dear Brownuean,
my mothers sister had PD -her aunt my great aunt,
my fathers side has no parkinsons disease gene that we know of -
my PD finally dxd at the age of 30,
it doesn't look like there is a pattern here?
there is more to this than code -DNA
there are toxins in our food and environment that will change the DNA
I will sum it up this way - it's all a coin toss

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lies

My youngest son (24) graced me with an appearance tonight and stayed over 4 hours, my wife was at the cinema, and we talked about all kinds of things but mostly he questioned me about PD. He touched on the hereditory issue and the answer I gave him:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics ..................

Chris

Last edited by Suffolkchris; 07-13-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

browneuan025837,
I've seen your post here for the past few days. I didn't know how to answer it.
In my case, there is no indication of Parkinson's or anything close as far back as my great great grand parents on both side of the family. I did find that on my father's side that high blood pressure and heart attacks were common in the men only. On my mother's side high cholesterol was a problem. Yes, I have both. Lucky me!
With your family history I would think about taking vitamin B complex for stress and exercise.

I know that's not much help, but it's the best I have for you.

GregD
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Another possibility

And if this takes hold we should start a thread for it but it seems appropriate to introduce it here.

As we have touched on before, there is more and more reason to suspect stress and associated cortisol to have a role in PD. In fact, there is reason to think that it may have the predominant role. We know that PWP have elevated levels of cortisol. We know that among other things high cortisol causes inflammation, neural damage, and blocks neural repair.

We know that different people have different sensitivities to it. We know that those sensitivities can change. We know that most of us had stressful childhoods. We know that nothing blows a PWP out of the water faster than stress.

We know that there is some evidence of familial clustering.

I think most of us see PD as showing up at a younger age. What was once a problem for the 70s has dropped and is showing up in the 30s and even the 20s now.

We also know that if you stress a pregnant rat, her young will grow up to be hypersensitive to stress and cortisol. That they will produce more and react more strongly.

The fascinating part is that the grandchildren of that first rat will also show a similar reaction even if the second generation has a low stress life.

So a single stress affects three generations. Stress accumulates and is passed down just as though it was genetic.

Now, what would you expect the pattern to be in a society where stress never lets up? Younger and younger? More and more damage at a given age? Each generation a little worse off?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Steffi, I have to comment

on your deeply perceptive response to browneuan025837's posting that started this thread. Greg expressed my response to the initial question, possibly for different reasons. However your thoughtful reply may have been short on science, but it is plenty long on heart! You are one treasure of a lady!

Browneuan025837, the science of genetics has taught us that relatively few of our features or "traits" are passed down according to strictly Mendelian laws. We are still groping for the causes for the manifestation/expression of many human disorders that seem to be "familial". The expression of some of those that are described as "dominant" or "recessive" can apparently be strongly influenced by other, not yet identified, genetic factors. In addition to some known (and some probably unknown) environmental exposures, yet unidentified genetic factors may have protective or susceptibility effects.

The bottom line about PD is that only 5 to 10% of cases have clear familial connections, and the presence of one case in each of two generations before you, with several other unaffected persons in each generation, it is much more likely that you will remain unaffected also. Steffi's advice to live life with confidence and joy is the perfect perscription for every one of us.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi Robert...

How lovely to see you and thank you for your acknowledgement of my reply.I am always a little cautious where specific data and figures seem to be required.My head just doesn`t "do" those things...therefore it is a relief to know that I haven`t totally uttered a load of "tosh" lol.
I can only say it as it seems to me and you have very kindly validated the importance of that.

I actually started another reply to this thread a short while ago but you know how it is...a twitch and you hit the wrong button and your entire post disappears befopre your very eyes.And if you are anything like me...the next 10 minutes is taken up with pranging every ruddy key on the laptop in a vain attempt to retrieve your hard earned work. And by heck...doesn`t it make you spit feathers....you know your work is IN THE COMPUTER SOMEWHERE...BUT WHERE???????????????????????????

But...hey...we should remain calm.

I had mentioned in my missing post,that my husbands grandparents both had alzheimars. His own father died about 4 years ago,and didn`t display alzheimar tendencies. My own father was very placid and although my mother had pd 3 years before she died,we are talking in her late 70`s here.
So....alzheimars on my husbands side....pd on mine.If I were to worry about the genetic thing I would be whizzing my kids off to the clinic faster than s*** off a shovel.

My son has MY fathers disposition...so laid back he is horizontal.My daughter,unfortunately ,displays the perfectionism,workaholic,stand by your beds....the tornado is coming....tendencies of myself and to some degree,my mother. I look at her and think..."Oh boy...you are up the creek without a canoe..let alone a paddle " so I work hard to find " chilling " strategies for her.
I am more concerned that her disposition will be the luring factor for pd, hence I am equipping her with "coping" skills for life`s challenges and surprises as best as I can.

Finally...I have mentioned this before and no-one has really picked up on this...I mean all you clever scientific thinkers.
It has been said...that in the case of twins...[of which I am one] the twin who is likely to get pd is the one who is a worrier,a perfectionist,analytical, and a workaholic. My sister,although a deep thinker and a hard worker,...knows when to switch off.

Makes you think hey....

x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Steffi, I can't stay up much longer

since 1am is creeping up, but, unless you and your sister are identical (monozygotic) twins, you and she can be quite different genetically. Even then, there are changes in gene expression that are "epigenetic" that is, subtle structural chemical changes in chromosomes after the division of the zygote (fertilized egg), that may result in different levels of expression of one or more genes at or near the structural change. Are you and she identical?
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:00 AM #10
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Post genetic test

Robert, your loads of scientific terminology almost rocketed me to outerspace..just kidding! Thanks for your instructive input and i really learn a lot. Steffi, glad to have u back and you have inspired me how to live differently out of the PD Box!

Back to the thread, may i suggest browneuan025837 to take a genetic test to rule out the heridity wary?
Ling2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote