Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neupro Patch

I'm curious to know if any of you have had the Neupro Patch prescribed, and if so, would you be able to give me some feedback, i.e., as to how effective or not effective it has been for you. I realize that even if you have used this patch, it may be too soom to assess its efficacy since you've probably only been using it for a fairly short period of time due to its being a fairly new PD "med". I would also ask whether or not any of your neurologists have discussed this with you and what their views are on it. My pwp's neurologist is thinking seriously of prescribing the Neupro Patch for her, but wants to titrate her off her other "meds"(small dose Sinemet 25/100 t.i.d./comtan, 200 mg. w/each Sinemet/Cogentin)before starting with the patch. I'd appreciate any input that you may have about this.

Thank you...
Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM #2
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Default Neupro

I have used Neupro for about 8 months. Neupro helps to prolong the effectiveness of sinemet cr or stalevo with longer "on" time. My current drug regime is: 3 x Stalevo (100) plus one neupro (6mg).

It has the same side effects as requip - sleepy but it is tolerable to me. Please also be careful of another possible behavioral side effect - in my case, I am compelled to take a lot of snack .

Your pwp should start from 2mg, then 4mg or 6 mg <at biweekly interval> as guided and cut back of sinemet at initial trial is necessary as the combination of both sinemet and neupro (at high level) may result in "overdosage"!

Hope the above helps!

All the best

LING
Ling2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank You, Ling

Thank you so much for responding to my post re: the Neupro Patch, Ling. I have carefully recorded your message so that I can relay it to my pwp. What seemed important for me is the fact that you are using the patch along with the Sinemet...this is something that I've read at another forum by a poster, there...that both the Neupro Patch and the Sinemet are used concommitantly. This is a question that I will certainly ask if/when my pwp's neurologist decides to prescribe the Neupro Patch. My pwp is really taking a low dose of Sinemet daily (2..25/100 tabs daily) so that, from what you said, this probably should not result in overdosing, especially if she starts with the 2mg. dose Neuro Patch...then, as you suggested...titrate up gradually as needed. You mentioned that you had been taking Requip which resulted in the unwanted side effect of overeating...I'd like to mention that my pwp took Mirapex in the past (had titrated up to 4.mg. daily) when she developed the unwanted side effect, OCD...it was terrible...and she had to be weaned off Mirapex even though that "med" had helped with her tremors tremendously...actually eliminated them...and she felt so well overall. We'll see, now, what happens as far as what the neurologist wants to do at this point. As I said...he seems to be leaning toward the Neuro Patch...but, I will ask him about using it along with the Sinemet.

Thanks so much, Ling...your post was very helpful.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back to Ling

Sorry, Ling...I neglected to sign my name...Therese

Thanks, again.....
Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool

Hi therese - I am new here so didn't want to jump in right away (especially as I am across the pond in the UK!) but as you are not getting many replies I thought I would chip in

I started a thread over on the very very new (and developing!!) UK Parkinson's Disease Society Forum on using Neupro patches - if you click here you will see what was said, which may be helpful!

I am currently on about 6 Sinemet Plus (25/100) a day, taking one when I wake and then one every three hours. I was finding that waking in the night I found myself to be very stiff with a lot of internal tremor, so much so that I wasn't getting back to sleep. Also, if I needed the bathroom then I could barely get out of bed in time!! Not funny!! I saw my neurologist last in April (I see him again in August) and he suggested very low dose rotigotine (Neupro) in addition to the Sinemet and that I change patches before going to bed. The reason for this is that although a patch is a 24hr "trickle" of medication, there is apparently a natural curve such that there is marginally more benefit early on in the 24hr period (which coincides with me trying to sleep). It definitely has helped - I am not leaping around but am confident I will get to the bathroom OK!
brockie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank You, Brockie

Yes...Brockie...I know that you are new, here, and I am so pleased that you DID "jump right in" to respond to my post about the Neupro Patch...nice, too, to be "in touch" with you "across the pond"!!! The information that you provided as related to your experience with the "patch" was very informative and helpful, Brockie. I DID attempt to access UK Parkinson's Disease Society Forum ("clicked" where you indicated), but was unsuccessful in registering. As most people, here, know...I am a "computer illiterate" so that often is the problem with me registering. I do intend to return to the site...I don't give up easily...but, I wanted to "get back" to you to thank you for responding and for all the help that your response has been for me. Thank you so much, Brockie.

Therese
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back to Brockie

Hi, Brockie...just to show you that I'm not a "quitter"...I pursued the site that you indicated in your post to me. I did everything that I was requested to do to register...even received an acknowledgement thanking me for joining the Parkinson's Disease Society...and indicated a "log in" place for me to "click"...I did that and I was returned to the original site where it was stated: Invalid username or password...AGAIN! I received that message numerous times, yet I received the "welcoming" notice with all my registering details and and "invitation" to log in.
I really am interested in getting into this forum, so, I will continue to pursue this...I don't give up easily!!! LOL Thanks again, Brockie....

Therese
Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool

therese - you shouldn't have to register with the PDS Forum to read the thread I linked to ... in case for some reason the link isn't working on your computer, here it is "longhand":

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?$sid=&id=33

so you should be able to copy/paste the url and just read it!

I have some problems logging on here and find that after inputting username/password I have to refresh and each time after I am logged in I have to refresh each page (forum, reply etc) - not sure why but at least I can still get on here!!

brockie
brockie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM #9
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum/t...sp?$sid=&id=33

here ya go. i didn't have to register.

brockie, did you check the box to have neurotalk "remember you" ? let me know if i can be of any help.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 PM #10
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Junior Member "Ling"

15 yr Member
Default marginal curve of benefit

It's my pleasure, Therese and Brokie did make a remark that I had missed - marginal curve of benefit! The Neupro do have a marginal curve of benefit and its efficacy may not deliver evenly throughout 24 hours. To me, it appears to be a plateau shape distribution of chemical with its peak benefit gradually cumulating up after application (say at hour 2), level-running and then decline gradually (say at hour 18 - 20). Also, be careful that it may peel off after exercise or if your pwp has sweaty skin.

Best

Ling
Ling2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote