Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Crossroads?

AS many of you know, I have been having some problems and had an exploratory in November and surgery in May. The latest was suppoed to take care of my abdominal pain. It hasn't.

That is only partly why I am here. You see, i was turned down by my general practitioner today for returning to work. I am supposed to now see a GI dr and see the neurologist the first of August.

My PD like sx have advanced to the point that while on vacation last week, I could not walk after early morning. I can only stand for a few minutes. I am now constantly losing my balance, although (knock on wood) I have caught myself by walking backwards or into my DH.

I want to return to work, but know that I cannot do the work. I went in for about ten minutes yesterday at the request of my sub and barely made it home. The library is a total disaster, so I would need to spend a lot of time getting it back together.

I am afraid that even though I haven't been paid for the last two months, that my boss will now fire me. (Partially because a new paper came out listing a growth in the circ department...the only thing that counts...while I was absent. You see, i refuse to lie on my reports and even my sub has been doing that...she actually scolded me yesterday to make sure that I did the same.)

What am I asking? I don't know. I want my job, but see it slipping away. I am making some comfort pillows that I hope to market, but it is going slowly, as it depends on how long I can be on my feet. Should I let the library go?
Should I try for disability when no one really knows what is wrong? It looks like the pay would be only $200 a month.

Advice anyone?

Mama
mamafigure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-13-2007, 03:00 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It sounds like...

It sounds like mobility is your main problem when it comes to functioning. I am wondering if a motorized scooter would be the assistance you need to continue doing the work you enjoy. Just a thought.

About your abdominal pains...can you describe them?

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:17 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

michael,
Thank-you for your thoughtful response. A scooter might help with somethings, but there is so much reaching up and down within narrow quarters, that maybe just a walker might be better. I don't know.

Pain is left sided from around navel and can wrap around to back. Tender bottom front ribs. Distension that does not go away and which has made me gain 12 inches around waist.

Mama
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It cetainly is a dilema..........I know I went thru it!!!

The main determination statement for disability is that "one can no longer do the job that is their occupation"
However the social security dept will want to know
a: if you have other qualifications, that would allow you to undertake a occupation you can do?

b: can you partially do either the job you do now or the above new job? ( if so you could qualify for partial disability)

obviously there is other criteria, but disability insurance is not means tested.
It is based on disability and whether you have had enough working credits to qualify.

The average disability check is about $700-800 per month thats for full disability.
Also if you qualify after 2 yrs and you are under 65 yrs , you will get medicare which can be cheaper than most private insurances and can pick up as a second payor to your current health plan.

There is a 5 month waiting period once you stop work before you get any money.........and often longer to get it although it is backdated

Depending on your financial situation..........medicaid can kick in! but you have to be pretty destitute, with no, non- needed assets!

good luck
boomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Boomer. I really want to work. I just can't do it. I do have a teachig degree, and I have been working with homebound students (pregnant, sick or in trouble with the law). I could do it at my home, but hate to have some of the kids that I might get in my home (one of my last students is a child molester and I have a daughter with disabilities at the house).

I just told my sub that I am trying to come back. I feel that I need to try. I haven't worked much in my lifetime, having just got my degree 10 years ago and getting sick shortly afterwards. When I got my SS statement it said that I was eligible for disability, and that my pay would be around $220 or so. It would be nice if they were wrong.

Thanks for the help,
Mama