Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default EMS advice please??

Has anyone had any experience of using EMS to exercise with???
I am unable to move very well at all due to stiffness and freezing.

I wondered if electric stimulation of muscles could in anyway benefit. Obviously the are being stimulate is not the root problem, but could it help?

I purchased the machine 3 yrs ago when I was mis-diagnosed with a MND, an the neuros and physios advised me not to use it to preserve muscle power.
Now with my PD diagnosis ,it seems the key is exercise.........so maybe this could be a starting point for me and should get it out of the drawer and hook myself up !!! aaghhhh!!! oops to high!!

I tried some more light PT last week with my arms that are stronger now than they have been for 2 yrs, since my sinemet regime! But I just got so tired , all over!!

I am only 43 yrs and lifted weights reguarly prior to getting sick nearly 4 yrs ago and have always been muscular.........but not anymore.

Anyone any ideas ?? on a workout for a basically wheelchair bound guy , whos mind wants to get fit! but the old bod ain't none to keen!

I have lost about 70 pounds in the past 1yr as I was only eating small , pudding type consitencey type meals, due to the swallowing probs. pre sinemet!!!! yippee!!
Now thats improved , but unable to take in protein, because of the Sinemet, which as you know builds muscle fibres and their strength.
Any ideas on how much protein ,can be taken in the periods between Sinemet as to not affect the drug??

thanks for listening........so many Questions!
PS I am not trying to get into physical shape , just so I can work out and gain some strength back and help eleviate the stiffness?
boomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi boomer
Have you heard of isometric exercises- tensing the muscles, hold and then releasing? Would something like that work for you?

What about floor type exercises is that something you could do?

Yesterday I replied on another forum about exercise info -

[my library system website came up with a good listing of DVDs/videos and books.

I used the search terms "exercises for arthritis" thinking those would be very gentle.
here's the site with the list {your local library should have many of the same items}
http://www.wilinet.wccls.lib.or.us/p...&query=&page=0]

Oh- I have a EMS that is a great help for my upper back & arm pains {for RSI/TOS}

I don't know how it would affect PD muscles - supposedly it should increase cell activity and nutrients even if it doesn't totally make the muscle work.

My EMS is fairly weak compared to the IF{interferential} stim that my chiro has - it will work the muscles without zapping you.

Last edited by Jomar; 07-18-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:04 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Boomer - I posted this in response to your other message but here it is again...

You should ask PT about EMS. It may or may not work for you. I used it after having my back surgeries to help keep my legs from atrophying. But even with EMS, you still need to do physical exercises. A good thing to look into before jumping into weights are those long elastic bands. They come in varying strengths and you can get them from PT as well. Great way to start retraining and reactivating your muscles.

As for protein, I take Sinemet as well but don't have the absorption problems or interference issues that some people do. I just take my meds 45-60 minutes before I eat anything, then I'm fine. I eat a very healthy diet with lean meat, chicken, fish, veggies and fruits, plus take protein powder every day, and I've had no issues. As long as I take my meds before eating, and time my meals so that I don't eat anything 2 hours before taking my meds, I've had no problems.

It's all about timing. Good luck on the exercise. That, along with a good diet, are two of the best things you can do for yourself, PD or not.

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the advice!!
I see the Dr again next week so will run it passed him!

It appears from the lack of response that nobody has had good experience with EMS or TENS, so maybe it is not the way to go?? But I will probably try it if the Doc says OK...........who knows

well thanks again
boomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote