Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Thoracic Outlet Syndrome/Brachial Plexopathy. In Memory Of DeAnne Marie.

advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sling that ties around waist???

I had seen someone post a picture of a sling that goes around the waist and not over the shoulder. I have a terrible problem of waking with my arm over my head. I have tried putting my arm inside my shirt and tying a bathrobe belt around my waist and tying my wrist. Doesn't work. I somehow get my arm out. I wake up in terrible pain. Would love to know where to get one. I don't remember which thread I read it on.

Thanks, Linda
LinJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default LJ

Check with Dr. Togut befoer you purchase a sling
In my experience its a big fat NO to sling your arm.
You want the bloodcirculation flowing and movement.
As for sleeping...hmmm
I Know how you must feel
Kinda like when I wake up 10 times a night with my hand clinced due to the pain.

Ayone have any suggestions for Lin Jane?
olecyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ah yes the old arms over the head- i don't know why it isi soooo comfy that way, but i do it too.

I have in the past used pil-o-splints which are supposedly for carpal tunnel, but good for tossers too. but they are comfy to sleep in and keep your hands opened up. with them on i am not as likely to bend my wrists, and arms over the head is not as comfortable. when my wrists hurt a lot they offer some great pain relief.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Splin...4819275&sr=1-2

i don't know if amazon's price is any good, they are available all over. I bought mine in the local drug store, so i was able to try it on before shelling out the $$.

totally machine washable and you just slip your hand in and out, takes but a split second to put on and off.

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

For quite awhile it just felt best to sleep on my back with my arms resting straight by my sides.
When my elbows were very sensitive I would wrap a hand towel around them for padding.
I eventually trained myself to not bend my arms while sleeping or to put them overhead.
I can put arms overhead now but I never fall asleep with them like that - it's more for a relax/stretch thing.

I've read that some will pin their pajama sleeve to the bottoms? that might help

a few slings-
http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm...discontinued=0
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I would only use something like that occasionally - like going on long walks or to the store.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I can find something that works.

Linda
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ?shoulder immobilizer

This is similar to the I wore for a short while after my rib resection. I mainly wore it in public as a warning to people not to run into me.

I saw this at amazon.com

See larger image");
See larger image Share your own customer images

Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer, Large, fits chest 36" - 42"
Other products by AliMed

No customer reviews yet. Be the first.

List Price: $41.00 Price: $29.00 You Save: $12.00 (29%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Allegro Medical.

Product Description
Product Description
Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer Body band is 4"W firm knit elastic. Three wide plastic stays prevent rolling. Vinyl arm and wrist band fit left or right. Felt-lined. Front contact closure. Sizing: Females measure just below bustline, men measure chest at widest point.

Product DetailsHelp others find this item
Make a Search Suggestion | Manage your Search Suggestions
No-one has made a Search Suggestion for this item yet. Why not be the first to suggest a search for which this item should appear?

Customers viewing this page may be interested in these Sponsored Links (What's this?) Hottest Fashions Online www.LuxuryDivas.com Belts Hats Scarves Wallets & More Online Accessories for Men & Women

Shoulder Immobilizers www.herbalremedies.com/braces Shoulder Immobilization Sling All Supports, Braces, Casts, Slings

stretch belts made in USA bobs-belts.com cotton elastic real leather trim woven fabric stretch belts
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:47 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I bought one of those last week after seeing a similar one on the forum. In the past, I wasn't able to walk for excercise because it really aggrivated my right shoulder. As soon as I saw it posted, I went out shopping and bought one. I got mine at a medical supply place for $15. I immediately tried it out and was very pleased. I have been walking every day now, which has really improved my mood! It is a little embarrassing, though....I have considered wearing it to bed, as I have the same problem. I don't think I could sleep in it.
Karen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:18 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Martha,

Good idea for a Tshirt
I'M IN PAIN
WALK AROUND ME...NOT INTO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgirl View Post

This is similar to the I wore for a short while after my rib resection. I mainly wore it in public as a warning to people not to run into me.

I saw this at amazon.com

See larger image");
See larger image Share your own customer images

Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer, Large, fits chest 36" - 42"
Other products by AliMed

No customer reviews yet. Be the first.

List Price: $41.00 Price: $29.00 You Save: $12.00 (29%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Allegro Medical.

Product Description
Product Description
Elastic Torso Belt Shoulder Immobilizer Body band is 4"W firm knit elastic. Three wide plastic stays prevent rolling. Vinyl arm and wrist band fit left or right. Felt-lined. Front contact closure. Sizing: Females measure just below bustline, men measure chest at widest point.

Product DetailsHelp others find this item
Make a Search Suggestion | Manage your Search Suggestions
No-one has made a Search Suggestion for this item yet. Why not be the first to suggest a search for which this item should appear?

Customers viewing this page may be interested in these Sponsored Links (What's this?) Hottest Fashions Online www.LuxuryDivas.com Belts Hats Scarves Wallets & More Online Accessories for Men & Women

Shoulder Immobilizers www.herbalremedies.com/braces Shoulder Immobilization Sling All Supports, Braces, Casts, Slings

stretch belts made in USA bobs-belts.com cotton elastic real leather trim woven fabric stretch belts
olecyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:01 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

TANKS, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP. I'M GOING TO PRINT THIS AND HOPEFULLY GET ONE THIS WEEKEND. I'M HOPING THIS WILL HELP WITH PAIN
Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 PM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I bought one of those last week after seeing a similar one on the forum. In the past, I wasn't able to walk for excercise because it really aggrivated my right shoulder. As soon as I saw it posted, I went out shopping and bought one. I got mine at a medical supply place for $15. I immediately tried it out and was very pleased. I have been walking every day now, which has really improved my mood! It is a little embarrassing, though....I have considered wearing it to bed, as I have the same problem. I don't think I could sleep in it.
Hi Karen,
Some of it the thing that if you had a broken arm and had a sling you would not feel sief concious. But, you do have a hidden disability...this sling protects you from flare ups and from the people around you bumping into you or not holding doors open.

It takes some time but you will get use to not having things slammed on you, someone helping you to lift items, caring about you....
I had a friend in a motorcycle accident and his arm has been paralyzed over thirty years. It is life, nerves are as serious if not more serious when you think of it as as a broken arm....broken arms heal.

If someone ask about the sling, you can just state that you have a nerve injury that is it....
I am so glad that you can do your walks now. As a friend says to us, manage your tos before it manages you.
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote