Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Tremors-Would like some quick input

Not exactly the right category to post in but I need some quick feedback and the tremors board does not have many posts/activity.

My 26 year old brother started shaking suddenly 2 weeks ago, top to bottom. It is very constant even during sleep. If he trys really hard he can perform basic tasks, but his motor function is very compromised. At rest his head and legs are going and when he starts an activity the tremor/shaking increases in his hands/arms but the legs seem to stop. Seems almost robotic and rigid at times, but then switches back to a swaying type motion.

Yesterday I saw him (with a huge does of valium since he had the MRI) and he was constantly in motion and required help to get up and down the steps.

He went to the family doctor, who first impression was possibly a chemical exposure, in checking nothing has been obviously used in his apartment or workplace. He is also free from all recreational drugs and alcohol (I really dont feel he would be lieing about this knowing him). We also went down some lists of recalled products as well. Family doctor sent him for bloodwork and to a neurologist, bloodwork was fine, and he was sent for an MRI and more bloodwork (13 vials at once). He has his appointment tomorrow and I was hoping to come up with a list of questions for him to ask the neurologist. They are getting things checked out pretty quick which worries me a bit but who knows.

Any comments, suggestions, experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Michelle in PA
labar914 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default more tests

The testing lab just called and said the doctor has ordered another battery of tests hat he must come in for today. The woman said another 13 vials of blood and a urine test as well.

I only hope it gives him some answers.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:01 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sorry to hear about your brother.

Unfortunately, it does sound like a drug induced or blount trauma induced episode. That is not to say that it is. Nor is it to say that if it is, that it isdue to some illegal activity on his part. For example, he could have had a seisure of some sort which might have caused a fall that he is not aware of. Or he could have had an allergic reaction to something. Or he could have an epileptic episode. There is also the possibility of some rare bite or disease such as Stiff Man Syndrome ( http://www.med.yale.edu/neurol/progr...stiff_man.html ).

It looks like you are doing all you know to do. Make him as comfortable as possible. If it were me, I would probably take something like liquid Benadryl in the mean time. It is not me, however, and I am not recommending anything here. Although Benadryl seems relatively safe, there is no telling what contraindications it could have with a street drug if that should happen to be a part of the problem.

Please keep us posted.

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What a terrible situation! Don't want to scare you, but it sounds like he's been exposed to something toxic. It reminds me of a big scheme involving the massive sale of toxic rape-seed oil here in Spain back in the 80's, (it was found to have motor oil in it) and which left hundreds of people with paralysis and/or Parkinsonism.
I hope it's just temporary and that he recovers completely. It could be so many different things, though, from pesticide exposure to a brain lesion (has a vascular accident been ruled out?).

Hang in there and tell him to be patient until the docs know what it is and keep us posted.

Take care
Teresa
Teretxu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Who knows

He has denied intentionally using/taking anything drug related legal or illegal. I asked him if he got tylenol or something like that from anyone, or taken anything from a work medicine cabinet or friends house too. He recalls nothing. He is a very reserved, shy young man who keeps to himself mostly, except for video game night with friends and work. I have never known him to drink anything more than a glass of wine on special occasions, but who knows. He does have a history of mild anxiety and fever seizures from age 0-4. We also have a history of epilepsy in the family. We have an uncle that is diagnosed with cerebral atrophy and has simliar tremor/shaking/motor issues, but they say his issues are from alcohol abuse. Its all worth mentioning to the doc anyway.

May be a silly question, Is it possible to have a damaging seizure in your sleep without knowing about it? He says he remembers nothing seizure like.

They did the MRI yesterday, so I would hope that would rule out anything vascular, as well as determine if there is anything notable in the brain. I guess thats why they are doing so many blood tests to search for something too. We will see tomorrow, but any suggestions of questions to ask the doc would be great.

Michelle
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Really sorry

This must be a very worrying and upsetting time for the whole familyand I feel for you.Let us hope you get some answers soon.Once you know the enemy you will be able to go forward.Please keep us posted .I will be thinking and hoping for the best for you.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hope all goes well

The only other advice I would give is that YOU know your brother better than the doctor, and your brother knows himself better than the doctor. Nine times out of ten, the doctor knows what he's doing ... but also trust your inner voice.

Let us know what they find and if we can help in any way.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default No news, is that good or bad?

We feel like the appointment was for nothing. Nothing has shown on the bloodwork, no toxins or chemical imbalances which can cause the issues. She also said any chemical exposure should be wearing off by now, and of course it is notThe MRI had no remarkable areas showing lesions, tumors, etc. The doctor also said that his symptoms should stop at night with a movement disorder and they dont, she said it is very unusual.

The only thing noted was an arachnoid cyst in the back area of the brain. The neurologist says that although it is unusual, it can not be causing the symptoms he is having. We did some quick searching and the sites we have found say differently. He wants a second opinion, which I totally understand.

The doctors suggestion is to use benadryl which he refused, he wants answers before he treats and masks symptoms. She said it is used commonly for movement disorders. She said any person that came in with these symptoms would be fearful and would try anything they are told to get rid of it. I think the breaking point for him was either when she had him drink from a plastic cup, and he spilled everywhere since he has little control, or when she mentioned a botox injection. He was very embarrased and that was it. I must tell you that the men in my family are very, very unusually stubborn to begin with. So the doctor wrote that he refused treatment and walked out of the room. I tried to explain how frustarting it is to be 26 and put in this position, but she didnt want to here anything if he wasnt willing to do what she said

Not much else to say, if anything comes to mind, or if this sounds familiar to anyone feel free to contact me.

Thanks a Bunch,
Michelle
Old 07-21-2007, 05:07 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default a long shot but...

I'm not sure if you are US or not, but there has been all the yelping about contaminants in our food supply. While I'm not convinced that it is of Chinese origin as charged, I did have a very unusual reaction to a flour product in April that made me wonder.

To come on so quickly it sure sounds like a toxin or stroke. The latter should have been easy to spot on an MRI but the former jut the opposite.

And that so-called doctor....
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default where are you located??

Taking the Bendryl is a way to narrow your search parameters. At this point I'd say and EEG and/or a PET scan is indicated. The trick is NOT to give up.Formulate a plan to search for the cause of his tremor. I'd ask him to take an MMPI test to rule out a depressive episode. Often the afflicted person is the last to realize this.

Just hang in there and continue to give your brother the love and support you have already exibited. Remember too, that your observations are vital to his finding out the cause for this. He cannot dispassionately look at things the way you can. You will get an education!!
Warm him up to the fact that trial doses of medications will be necessary to rule out certain conditions.
If I knew where you lived I could recommend a good Neurologist to you.

Charlie, PD Since 1990. DBS-STN on 2002
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote