Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Help! Please can someone help me understand my MRI results

I am a 34 year old male from Northern Ireland. I've been off work for three months due to back pain / sciatica and have just received the results of my MRI scan. They read as follows:

"There is a degeneration of the L5 /S1 disc with minor endplate irregularity and with Type 1 endplate change. The remaining lumbar discs appear well hydrated.

Axial scans were performed through the lower four lumbar discs.
At the L2/3 level there is no significant disc pathology or nerve root compromise.

At the L3/4 level there is no significant disc pathology or nerve root compromise.

At the L4/5 level there is minimal bulging of annulus without nerve root compromise.

At the L5/S1 level there is mild broadbased bulging of disc which effaces the anterior epidural fat and abuts against the theca and both S1 nerve roots, more so on the left. There is atrophy of the multifidus muscles. There is no evidence of central spinal stenosis.

CONCLUSION: There is broadbased bulging of the L5/S1 disc that is compromising the left S1 nerve root. There is no convincing compromise of the left L5 nerve root. "

I'm quite worried about these results as it says the disc is degenerating which means it will only get worse?
Im constantly in a degree of pain which prevents me from sitting down for any long period of time, walking is also painful. I seem to get some ease by being on all fours.

Can anyone tell what treatment i might receive and if i may make any kind of satisfactory recovery. I've been told about spinal injections but dont know much about that.
I've also been told that the disc might be removed. Again, im not sure how this would affect my mobility.

Id appreciate any answers anyone out there may have as im a bit confused and somewhat distressed as to my next step.

Thanks in anticipation

Ali
navajo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 AM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

hello Ali
sorry no replies yet but hopefully some of our members who have knowledge of spinal problems will be along soon

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hi Ali~

I don't think you have much to worry about at this time. I am not sure about your S1, but the rest of the lumber doesn't have nerve damage. I had a surgeon tell me once, that he doesn't operate on a bulging disc unless it falls to the middle (meaning central). It says your disc are hydrated, thats good. Its when they are dehydrated (meaning dried out) that they may do something about it. Everybody has some degenerative disease as they get a little older.

What did your Dr. tell you? It does look like if you are unable to work they would give you some pain medicine. Surgery is the last resort, not the first. I have had seven surgeries and I am better, but not free of pain.

At L5/S1 you state, the MRI says mild bulging. You shouldn't have to worry at this point. You also have no root compromise at the other levels. Thats good also.

I have had L2 thru S1 fused and that in itself causes pain. There doesn't seem to be a good answer and I am sorry for that. Just do what your doctor says and don't worry. The injections help some people.

I'm sorry this is about all I can say of your MRI. Wish I could be of more help.

She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote