Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction

Does anyone here have SJD? I know I do, but wonder how extensive it really is. I've gone for SI's many times, and usually they relieve it. Normally I have both sides done but the right side is always the worst.

Has anyone had surgery for this and if so, did it help you?

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Oh I did a search of the forums and found this thread already going. http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ght=sacroiliac

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'd check out the thread that Doody kindly linked to; it contains a lot of good info. I have messed up SI joints and I know the pain it causes.

If you do determine to have surgery, and if the docs are permitted (they can seek consent from prior patients): Ask those patients about how they were prior to and following surgery (and the time-span about which they are speaking).

I'd want to go into surgery with as much info. as I could possibly attain... and only go with a surgeon with a high rate of positive or successful outcomes. Because it is such a specialized surgery, one should be able to assess whether "success" (based on a median) could be likely.

Too, I would only see a surgeon whom does specialize in the surgery. A general surgeon or one whom sometimes performs the surgery would not be one I'd opt to entrust with my SI Joints and performing medical fusion. I'd want the best... for myself by someone whom truly knows what he or she is doing.

Another question I'd ask myself: Is it possible I will be better off with or without the surgey? If undetermined? I'd wait until I could resolve that answer within myself. I certainly would not want to be worse.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Doody,

I just wanted to mention something Franck alluded to. I am in pelvic floor physical therapy and I do have spinal issues going on with L4/L5/S1. I have had the sacroilliac injections, an ESI and eventually an RF. The RF helped moreso than anything. I only got about 1 week's worth of relief from the other.

I am completely amazed at how well the PT is working. But know it is specialized; there are not many therapists that do this. And all of this was based on recommendation from my Urogyn and spinal PM. Actually, it was recommended for minor prolapses as surgery was not warranted at this time.

It has helped tremendously with SI pain, piriformis, groin and hip pain as well as the sciatic type of pain I was having. I still have problems with the coccyx as it was fractured at some time in my life and is painful. But the more internal and external work she does, the better that is getting. And I didn't know it at the time but my left hip was in a locked forward position.

Anyway just a thought; I realize everyone has different issues. I am just saying it has helped me a great deal. It is not for everyone but it makes sense that if the pelvic floor is the stabilizer of the SI joint then perhaps this is why this is helping so much. Then again, I have had no surgery in the lower spine.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody View Post
Does anyone here have SJD? I know I do, but wonder how extensive it really is. I've gone for SI's many times, and usually they relieve it. Normally I have both sides done but the right side is always the worst.

Has anyone had surgery for this and if so, did it help you?
I had SI fixation on 9/25/07, I have my life back! and overall I am pain free!
Brendaschoenherr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SI joint surgery

I underwent a left SI joint fusion wil bilateral pelvic fixation (pins in both hips). It was a very difficult surgery to recover adnis not for the faint of heart. I had 2 other back surgeries where I learned the secret was to get up and walk as soon as you could. I was back to work in 3 weeks with my back surgery, more like three months with the SI surgery and even then not at full capacity. It took almost a year before I was walking unassisted and doing somewhat better. However, I began having problems again and have found out that the SI joint failed to fuse and because it is mobile it is causing the pins to move. I have no one to turn to now. My surgeon was in Atlanta and I really can't go back for quite a few reasons. The expense is one. I didn't really care for my treatment at Emory and I'm not sure I want the same surgeon who didn't exactly get it right the first time.
Apparently though, no noe touches this little tiny joint. Since the fusion failed, there are parts of that joint that now have pieces of bone inside acting as bone spurs whenever I take a walk. I am a total train wreck, emotionally and physically. The first pain management person I saw had nothing but long acting narcotics to offer me (I was hoping for a spical stimulator or something that wouldn't mean being tired from Narcotics all the time). So, I am doing so horribly emotionally, etc, I am seeing a psychiatrst to help with the fact that I am so depressed now and all I do is cry. I don't think that could possibly do much because when its all said and done, all I can do is go to work (I work 6 hours a day) and then come home and lie down because of the pain. I wish someone had some other answerss or possible solutions. HELP if your out there.
SallyE5756 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
Doody,

I just wanted to mention something Franck alluded to. I am in pelvic floor physical therapy and I do have spinal issues going on with L4/L5/S1. I have had the sacroilliac injections, an ESI and eventually an RF. The RF helped moreso than anything. I only got about 1 week's worth of relief from the other.

I am completely amazed at how well the PT is working. But know it is specialized; there are not many therapists that do this. And all of this was based on recommendation from my Urogyn and spinal PM. Actually, it was recommended for minor prolapses as surgery was not warranted at this time.

It has helped tremendously with SI pain, piriformis, groin and hip pain as well as the sciatic type of pain I was having. I still have problems with the coccyx as it was fractured at some time in my life and is painful. But the more internal and external work she does, the better that is getting. And I didn't know it at the time but my left hip was in a locked forward position.

Anyway just a thought; I realize everyone has different issues. I am just saying it has helped me a great deal. It is not for everyone but it makes sense that if the pelvic floor is the stabilizer of the SI joint then perhaps this is why this is helping so much. Then again, I have had no surgery in the lower spine.

What is RF and ESI? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the abbreviations. Thanks in advance.
Dee911Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

RF = Radiofrequency Ablation. In my case the doc ablated the medial branch neves that go across the facet joints. And the ablation worked wonderfully!

ESI = Epidural Steroid Injection. Didn't do anything for me since my issues are more with the facets, nerve roots and not any major herniations. Even though I do have a disc bulge at L4/L5. But for whatever the reason, no pain relief from that.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SI Joint dysfunction and back pain--relieved i hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendaschoenherr View Post
I had SI fixation on 9/25/07, I have my life back! and overall I am pain free!
Thanks for your post! I' m curious to know your approx. age. I am 74, had my first lumbar fusion at 34 and now I will have a 15th surgery of spinal area (SI fusions) Sept.3. I've known no one who has gone thru this. Being I survived a 12 hour 're-do' of my lumbar spine, I think I can handle the surgery---and I hope and pray I can get rid of the pain I now have--at least cut-back. I've had outer thigh pain, even into ankle, in muscle of lower leg, and much tightening and pain of both sides of my "bum." I sleep poorly. Lately I got tired of THAT, got up and took a pain pilll then, and now in the AM I have a few hours where I am in a tolerable state. Prior to that, I'd wake up and tears would come to my eyes. NOt the way to start a day! Did you wear a corset or something like it? With all my fusions I have 12 in the corner of my basement. None was mentioned so I'm hoping I can get by and just be careful. The Dr's nurse said i could do NOTHING fo SIX mos, could carry a plate, a book, or a small purse--looked at me and said," I see you use a small purse!" I told her I've had 7 neck fusions and Im not the type that needs to carry my life in a purse so I'm all set!

Hope to hear from you!

Jetty
Jetty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote