Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How do you sleep?

I am off to bed now.....it just made me think about snuggling into bed, under the covers, on my tummy with my left leg bent up.....then it made me wonder how everyone else sleeps? Anyone care to share?
My hubby has the laptop tomorrow so I will check in when he and the laptop get home! Y'all have a great day tomorrow

LOVE DORRIE!!
dorrie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 AM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I am definitely a "fetal" sleeper curled up on my side

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, this is a hard one. I seem to have a combination of a couple of those positions, so go figure. I sleep like a soldier, but with my hands on my tummy. The rest of the time I sleep in a semi fetal position but with my arms straight out, not curled up. No way can I sleep on my stomach. My neck won't cooperate.

Quote:
What your sleeping position says about you ...

Foetus

Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

Log

Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

Yearner

People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

Soldier

Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

Freefall

Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Starfish

Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health. He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night's sleep.

Professor Idzikowski said "Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night. "Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night's sleep."

The research also found that most people are unlikely to change their sleeping position. Just 5% said they sleep in a different position every night.
From http://www.flatseats.com/General/positions.htm

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm a foetus type sleeper but some of the time I put one leg down. I usually put my hands under my pillow. My DH sleeps on his back & snores like crazy. I often poke him & tell him "your snoring, lay on your side" .
lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Oh, I'm a fetal position sleeper w/one hand under my pillow. I flop from one side to the next all thru the night tho.

I also use a contour leg pillow between my knees. DH snores, but I just roll him onto his side and that usually takes care of it. Otherwise, he'd wake the neighbors and the whole countryside....

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM #6
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

there is no picture of how i sleep.

putting pillow on hubby's snoring face. i ran out of duct tape.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I toss and turn most of the night. I move all night. My legs move (RLS) and my legs kick and my arms hurt and my shoulders hurt and my neck hurts and where my biceps used to be... that hurts too. I arrange pillows in various positions when on my right side making sure I don't have my elbow bent in the wrong position and trying to make sure my right shoulder isn't bent too far under my body because if I sleep on it too much I can't use it at all the next day.

Then I toss and turn and wake up so many times and switch from that side to the other side and then finally try to sleep as I always used to sleep... on my tummy with my head to the right, but doing that for so many years must have done something to my neck too because now I can't lie on my tummy at all and look to the left. It actually makes me cry writing this cause it's all just too much for me. I need sleep and it's so painful just lying in the darn bed.

*sigh I guess you wish you didn't ask now.

Edited after posting to add:

OK, I'm over it. Not crying anymore. I'm still happy and still smiling, but I just wrote it as it is and it sucks basically.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lara I take magnesium oxide for rls and legcramps...works great! If I really cannot sleep I take melatonin and sleep like a baby!

LOVE DORRIE!!
dorrie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 AM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

thankyou, Dorrie. I actually take a powder mix with magnesium in it. Have done for many years. Not tried the Melatonin yet. Not sure that'll help at the moment. My son needs it more than me. Part of what keeps me awake is his sleeping problems too. Just one of those things sometimes.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 AM #10
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Lara
have you and son tried the Natural Calm magnesium powders

my hubby is sleeping well since starting this

they are available at lowest cost at iherb.com

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote