Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default to tour or not to tour

Okay, Okay ... so I've got too much time on my hands (mentally!) to think. I just don't have enough hours in a day to accomplish all that I want to. And it is this mind of mine that never shuts off. Thankfully, at least I'm able to sleep. It wasn't always that way.

Okay, so this is my suggestion ...

Does anyone want/think/have time to/ put together a group of Parkies to go on tour? We could do one-liners, a song, a poem, whatever.

You know how that one British group got together and did that Generation song/video? I still have that bookmarked and think it's just too awesome. (In part because I want to be Grace when I'm her age. LOL)

The difference between their group and ours, though, is that (as far as I know), they only have one song .... and, boy, could we come up with enough material to last a lifetime. (Well, that's a stretch of the imagination, but I think you know what I mean).

I do NOT have time for all of this nonsense and I wish my mind would quit coming up with these schemes.

I'll just throw it out there and see if anyone bites ...

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM #2
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default I think it is a great idea

Dear Terri,

The only problem is coming up with the funds. My husband took a group of deaf students on a tour of Denmark. Beleive it or not, there differences between the way Americans sign and the Danish. My husband arranged all the places they could visit. They stayed in local person's homes so they got a close up view of how Danish lives are different than ours.

I know there is someone on this sight that goes between Pennsylvania and Denmark and a citizen of both countries. It would be wonderful to see our International counterparts. Personnally I would love to see Scotland and Ireland, Wales and Great Britaian. Australia and Austria would be beautiful too. Anyone else have ideas to add to this cool idea?

Vicky

Last edited by vlhperry; 08-17-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Talking to wrong person. Humiliated!!!!!
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default anyone else have ideas

Thanks for the reply, Vicky ...

When we lived in Norway we often housed American choirs and bands. What they liked best, I think, was that I always offered to do their laundry and I made them good ole' American chocolate chip cookies!!

There's still a chance that we may move back, and as I speak, my husband is over there right now. If we do move back, you can bet your booties that an open invitation stands for my dear friends.

And, just to add a little humor to this conversation ... when my parents decided to visit, they flew to England and took a ferry over to Norway to "really" experience the European lifestyle. Let's just say that they won't be travelling that way again. As my Christmas newsletter so aptly put it ... "Visitors are always welcome. Just dial 1-800-upchuck". (But you have to understand that when we lived in Oklahoma, the number to dial was 1-800-tornado ... and now that we live in Houston it's 1-800-traffic).

Terri
P.S. Does anyone know how the Generation group got their funding?

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Zimmers

The Zimmers were brought together by a tv team investigating how old people live, but a lot of the actual 'funding' was donated time and effort, rather than cash. Use of the internet in publicising what they did raised the profile of the song, and the eventual programme was quite hard hitting, in a very positive way. It shows that engaging the right people, and using people who know people who can get things done can bring results. The parky community does not lack in these kind of contacts............
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:26 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So then tell me why the Parkinson's community who are not lacking in business accumen and where talent is abundant are not looking into having a place on Linden labs.

I was just there and reading how they have set up a location in Cambridge now as well as the west coast.

I know of some people who are making a fortune off of the site. One is making costumes for the members there and she is doing very well and not leaving her home to do so.

Check it out. You have all said you would like to do something in order to raise money for research.
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote