Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I copied these posts from another thread to open up some discussion...

I'm up to whatever is going to work here...for the whole.

I've realized that this forum isn't the average forum in that the discussions can be had on various levels and maintained well.

Let's work this, y'all...

We might have a small PD community within this community and I think that's OK.

For instance, we could possibly have a subforum with conversations on the "political edge" (because so much discussion can turn to a political theme due to challenges), or the OT-social, or both.

I've realized something after spending some time with y'all (thank you for allowing that)...and that is that you're a very special group of people and alot of what can help you involves discussing the "difficult". Thanks for the PM's and for the convo here. It's helped me to know you all better. Thank you for embracing me here.

I'd also like to say that anything would need to be discussed and agreed upon before incorporation. *

Would you like to continue the convo here or would you like for me to start another thread?

KD

From the caterpillar emerged
~Strong in flight, beautiful to the eyes, movement laced with grace~
The butterfly
**KD**
</center>

Last edited by kimmydawn; 08-21-2007 at 08:31 AM.
kimmydawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I want to add, that we (the admin and the core members) are making this forum. We're creating the needs for all PD patients everywhere who might stop by or stay due to need.

Let's create a comfortable "home".

If you could have your "dream home" online, what would it have?

KD

From the caterpillar emerged
~Strong in flight, beautiful to the eyes, movement laced with grace~
The butterfly
**KD**
</center>
kimmydawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I want to add, that we (the admin and the core members) are making this forum. I want to add, that we (the admin and the core members) are making this forum. We're creating the needs for all PD patients everywhere who might stop by or stay due to need.

KD

KD

I have no idea of what this is saying or means? If you and the "core members' are making this forum then what do you need us for?

Who are these 'core members'? are they of this forum even?

Quote:
We're creating the needs for all PD patients everywhere who might stop by or stay due to need.
You are creating nothing. You are providing a space for people to communicate within certain boundaries of conduct. It is the members here who have created this forum and what it contains is that which they have chosen to post about.

Now this is going to make you mad as well as some members here but this asking for personal private messaging is of no value at all.

If you want an honest opinion of what this forum desires it has to be done in the light of day so as all can either add to the comments or disagree but at least know what the intentions are and what is going to be agreed upon.

This is not a 'home'

It is a meeting place at best where people can come and address whatever they wish to speak about. As a Parkinson's forum then that is usually the main topic but not always.

That is where the moderators should come in and judge as to the acceptance of the posting and let the member know why it was judged as so.

If religion is to be tolerated and approved then so should be politics as well as any other topic that is allowed.

Other than this I don't see what you mean as the forum seems to function quite well as it is.

Everyone needs to have a break once in awhile and it is beneficial health wise to do so. It is not a pall put on the site it is only that that person needs a break.

The one thing is that everyone who comes to this site finds is that it is a fact they are free to post wherever they want to and to have forums set aside for different topics would be impossible for you to maintain and absolutely impossible to get them to use.

eg

I went to church last night and found the talk really stimulating and I want to tell you all about it. The talk afterwards in the lobby afterwards was about the new resolution brought forth yesterday to impeach the new president as soon as he was sworn in. I must not forget to tell what the new Neurologist had to say about my head transplant I had six months ago.

Response

Where to put this. Oh well put it in all their forums and sub-forums and let them decide. Too strenuous for me and I have a foot ache.

Besides I see KImmy Dawn here will put them all in their rightful place lol
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmydawn View Post
I want to add, that we (the admin and the core members) are making this forum. We're creating the needs for all PD patients everywhere who might stop by or stay due to need.

KD
I'm assuming that you mean "we are [I]addressing [I] the needs" or something similar. You are right that the community results from the efforts of the admin and the rules and the handful of members who actually post.

Whether that is good or bad I am not sure. The flavor of the forum has changed over the last year and names that were once familiar have slipped away one by one. Again, I don't know that that is bad overall, but I can't help but miss some of them.

Maybe it is simply the nature of online existence to be ephemeral. It is so easy to strike one's tent and slip away into the mists.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Let's not forget though, that moderators and rules are needed because people don't behave....lol.

My idea of the perfect forum would be one in which the people can talk about most things [reasonable of course] and argue respectfully. There are people who hate religion and simply will not do this. There are people who think they should be able to tell other people what to post. Telling people what or what not to post creates resentment.

I don't understand why anyone thinks they should be able to tell people what to post. But they do, and they complain to the moderators when they see things they don't like.

I have always thought that it's the readers' responsibility to censor what they read, not the posters', or the moderators
So my idea of the perfect forum is freedom to talk religion and politics and people do it with respect.

And when you blow it - simply apologize.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

What about making a sub forum for "hot" topics /debates - then those who want to read and/or participate in topics of that sort could click on the sub forum knowing that there most likely will be heated discussion.
That way it would not stress or disrupt those that are not wanting that kind of interaction.
Just a thought
Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Well enough...

KD, you are a lovely person. What are you doing "fixing" our forum? Do you feel we need a leader? We have lots of leaders. I stumble into this threaed and find a whole bunch of Counselspeak statements. I have no idea why you feel this is necessaryl. Why should I imagine a home --yikes!! Whaaaa ..........

I feel like you are playing with us wit h this behinds the scenes intrigue. I thought your job was to protect us from the chaos outside and from the barbarians at the gatesl I didn' t com e here, in caase you don't get my drift, to play with you I have reael PD and real experience and I wouldn't awste jmy time pretending little games. Since you are a professioial caregiver, you will not take an y of this epersonally. I resent te attempt at manipulation. I don't intend any of this to be mean/ I a m just flabergasted at your ideas and have enough respect for you to want to help you undersand.

I am leaving my typing and my toughts as is (in the 'off" state) to show the number 1 reason IMHO why we drift away. WE GET SICKERl. it gets harder to participate, harder to type, harder to read (our eyes jump around--some fo us). fewer of th ethreads are intereting. our "on" time gets jmore and more precious.

I saw three of the finest doctors in the US in the last six days, and if anythig i should be sharing my experience and not ranting.

What episode precipiated this? For heae=vensake I go away for weeks or months at a time without makign a big announcement and no one misses me nad I com backa nd join in as best i can.

on a personal note I hope yur family is ou of danger.

Jaye
8 1/2 yrs since dx plus a decade of symptoms before thta
first post on a predecessor of thse boards in March 99
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM #8
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I feel I need to clear this up-
Maybe I misunderstood this post {below} of Thelma's mentioning that Kimmy could be of help. I was the one that told Kimmy and why she posted this thread asking for your ideas.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...18&postcount=3
Quote from above link-

[ Thelma

I hope you don't go too far away as I really really like you girl. You too Charley boy.

I know some of the posts have been really stressful and that is bad for all with Parkinson's.

Maybe Kimmy Dawn will come in and let us have her idea of what can be done. I think some of the other sites use some sort of icon or something to illustrate that this is a posting that may upset or stress someone.

But if you are as nosy as I am you will liik anyway to see if it is someone you know.

I myself think that some of the posts tend to go too far and last too long on depressing subjects.

Anyway leave it to her and we'll see what she can do to help.

Peace to you both]

so that is how this thread came about - and I still think sub forums would be a good workable idea for those certain subjects that may raise the blood pressure and stress levels.
But basically she /we are asking if you have thoughts on it.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 PM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Miss Jaye,

I curtsy to you. A fine dissertation; see one never knows what he/she will excel at. A fair and balanced thread; only I picture us all at Tara for some reason.

Good night,
Paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know if this is of any value, but I am a member of another forum concerning something totally different except that it is health related. Anyway there are two places you can go, I would imagine that you sould call them subforums, that are sensitive. You can talk about all the things that are too personal to go out on a regular form.

The thing is that you cannot just click on these tow forums, you have to approved. I know, Big Brother and all of that, but if, for example someone wants to talk about a hot subject, it tends to keep the trolls out as well as those who don't want to be bothered by reading material that they deem inappropriate.

Juat an ides,
mama
mamafigure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote